Used 1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Texas BMER
By dalworth55cars

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This car is tight and handles well and feels sturdy. The driver's leg room and seat adjustments are a little cramped. I am very pleased with the highway gas mileage, however the city miles are less.

Favorite Features

The sound system and the steering wheel integrated audio controls.

Suggested Improvements

To move the window controls back in the middle like the earlier BMWs and to have the seat controls on the door panel so you don't have to squeeze your hand along the side of the door.

TERRIBLE RELIABILITY
By BMW Owner

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought a "certified" BMW and had NOTHING but problems since I bought it. I have had three different severe problems with the cooling system alone and this is with a car with only 50,000 miles on it. All three cooling system problems happened three weeks after my "certified" maintenance expired and each cost approx $1000 to fix and left me stranded. This car drives nice and is fast and all but mechanically it is a nightmare and it totally unreliable. And again, it was a "certified" car when I bought it. BEWARE: BMW service like brakes and regular service is EXPENSIVE! $1000 just for front brakes which you need every 25,000 miles or so. I am not happy and getting rid of the car.

Favorite Features

It is very fast and comfortable. It is the ultimate driving machine but you will pay out of your pocket big time for the driving enjoyment. It is a rocket, but it consumes gas (18.7 MPG for me). I really like the steering and comfort and it is a very cool car to be in. Mine is a sport model.

Suggested Improvements

The cooling system is a mess. Radiators failing, entire cooling systems failing, hoses failing, it seems to be always something wrong with the cooling system and NOTHING is cheap to fix. Spent a fortune

1999 BMW 528i ... very, very nice
By bmw_owna

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle certified pre-owned (CFP). BMW has one of the best CFP plans in the US. I love the car. I have had a few technical problems but other than that I love the car. I highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

Sporty look plus sedan versatility

Suggested Improvements

Need a little more leg room in the interior for talling people.

Good driver
By Bill

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I love this car, a bit expensive for non-warranty items (expected). Drives VERY well. Acceleration, handling, and braking are the best I have found so far. Got this car at a bargain price, and paid the price for some needed repairs, but since being brought back to specs it has delivered respectable and dependable sevice. Fuel mileage has amazed me in that when driven sanely I average 21-22 in town and 26- 27 on the highway ... all that in a car that will do over 155 mph if you wish.

Favorite Features

Acceleration is exceptional. Corners very well for a fairly large car and comes to a stop quickly. The sport package delivers 6-way power seats that are in the uppoer level comfort range.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders (not intended for the autobahn) are poorly designed and break too easily.

Smiles, smiles, smiles, repair...
By gmoney68

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

You will love this car! I have the 6sp. Fun to drive, great to look at. You'll receive a ton of compliments. Oil changes are only required every 12k. My radiator has gone twice. It's plastic, but was under warranty. I replaced the cupholders with Ultimate Cupholders that mount near the floor in the front and replaced the rears with a CD holder. You will love this car. Just do yourself the favor and DIY maintenance/repairs or find a reliable private non-dealer BMW shop.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration, appearance, horsepower, abundance of available modifications, interior

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders. More accessible engine compartment. Arm rest is a joke - replace it. Ventilation system is terrible.