1999 BMW 5 Series 528i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

NICE CAR
By KOLYA

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

HI THIS IS KOLYA I GOT MY BMW JUST RIGHT NOW IT IS NICE CAR AND BEUTIFUL TO DRIVE IT.I HILY RECOMEDET FOR EVERY BODY.

Un-Beemer-Lievable
By Mr. Beems

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Outstanding handling; beautiful, classic design, reliability, outstanding service.....and those are the low points. I can't wait to purchase my next Beemer; hopefully the new 7 or the newest 5 series.

Favorite Features

Sport shift.

Suggested Improvements

Brake wear and replacement costs are extremely expensive.

Great Car!
By Kencal

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my BMW 528 back in 1999 and have enjoyed it a lot over the past 4 years. I had a few repairs so far, the worst was the breakdown of the board computer after 3 1/2 years which set me back about $1,200.

Favorite Features

Comfort, quietness

Suggested Improvements

Terrible, useless cupholders, reliability could be improved

can't beat a 5 series
By nmexmatt

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I am a BMW fanatic. I currently have an 850 and a 528i. The 5 series is just a superb vehicle. Very solid. Love the steering wheel controls. I prefer the locking system and cruise control of my 8 series better, but other than that the 5 is an all around great machine.

Favorite Features

glass moonroof, comfortable cabin, lots of good storage, huge trunk, nice sounding stereo

Suggested Improvements

like old BMWs that all locks unlock at once. location of lock system on center console, move to door, cup holders, awful, cruise control somewhat complicated

Fair Assessment
By C Krebs

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

This is the third BMW 5 Series that I have owned, and I have bought all of them used about 2 years old. My specs for buying each of them have been to get a black 4-door, 6 cylinder, manual transmission with less than 50,000 miles on it. When I sold my first two BMWs, each had more than 200,000 miles on it, got great mileage (27+ MPG on the road, and both were running extremely well. Current model(1999)feels heavier, but gets better mileage, and a BMW is fun to drive.

First BMW - Aquired Loyalty : 10
By S3vSt3R

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

It is just unbelievable. Handling is just perfect. This car is such a solid performer, that it makes me smile every day when I have to drive it to work. I am against buying used cars, but after test drive I changed my mind on this one.

Favorite Features

Steering, suspension, Breaks - this car pretty much does what I want when I want and how I want it. Classy interior design,

Suggested Improvements

cup holders - I have coffee stains all over the carpet beep when unlocking

Can't Touch This!
By Chris977

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

The 5-series definitely sets the standards by which all other sedans should be measured. Each and every day the car continues to amaze me! The steering and handling is like no other car I've owned. The car simply handles and looks flawlessly. It was engineered extremely well, if not even over-engineered!

Favorite Features

Silky smooth drive train. Amazing power and acceleration for only a 2.8 liter! Handling -- can't touch it!!! Agressive styling cues, perfect stance, beautiful! The interior is beautiful too...love the woodgrain accents of the premium package and sport seats.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders and "basic" sound system. The cupholders are poor and easily allow whatever is in them to spill all over. And, 5-inch speakers just don't produce enough bass.

Pure Pleasure
By ClaireKrais

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

This car's overall performance and luxury is excellent. A solid car that drives out perfectly as if it were still brand new. This is my second BMW. The only thing better than my 528iA...could only be the new 745Li!

Favorite Features

The DSP sound system makes for a wonderful driving experience. The steering wheel controls are great for keeping your mind on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders need to be improved. The ones in the car are a poor excuse and make for a guaranteed "spill" if the beverage is in anything but a can.

awesome and fun to drive!!
By sara

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

what a fun car to drive. just turned 40 and growing bored with my chrysler lhs. too young to be so bored so bought a bimmer!! i actually smile and get my adrenline flowing with thhis car. only problem is no place to take it and let me hair down!!!!! :)

Favorite Features

beautiful looks and quality

Suggested Improvements

cupholders, more hp needed on 528

Upgrade to newer year
By bwilljr

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I just moved up from my 97 to a 99 528IA. So sweet. I was looking at new Nissan Altima's, used Volvo S-80's, and Infinity G35's. Bottom line - they are not the ultimate drivig machine. Buy a ceritifed used vehicle, beat on the dealer, do your homework on price (TMV with Edmunds and look at Car & Drivers websote as well as Kelly Blue Book on line), sell your used car, and take advantage of BMW financing (I'm in at 3.9 60 months, 100%). You will not be sorry.

Favorite Features

Being on the road in the total package.

Suggested Improvements

None.