1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Texas BMER
By dalworth55cars on 09/06/06 19:50 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This car is tight and handles well and feels sturdy. The driver's leg room and seat adjustments are a little cramped. I am very pleased with the highway gas mileage, however the city miles are less.

TERRIBLE RELIABILITY
By BMW Owner on 05/25/06 15:28 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought a "certified" BMW and had NOTHING but problems since I bought it. I have had three different severe problems with the cooling system alone and this is with a car with only 50,000 miles on it. All three cooling system problems happened three weeks after my "certified" maintenance expired and each cost approx $1000 to fix and left me stranded. This car drives nice and is fast and all but mechanically it is a nightmare and it totally unreliable. And again, it was a "certified" car when I bought it. BEWARE: BMW service like brakes and regular service is EXPENSIVE! $1000 just for front brakes which you need every 25,000 miles or so. I am not happy and getting rid of the car.

1999 BMW 528i ... very, very nice
By bmw_owna on 03/04/06 10:27 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle certified pre-owned (CFP). BMW has one of the best CFP plans in the US. I love the car. I have had a few technical problems but other than that I love the car. I highly recommend it.

Good driver
By Bill on 01/15/06 07:52 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I love this car, a bit expensive for non-warranty items (expected). Drives VERY well. Acceleration, handling, and braking are the best I have found so far. Got this car at a bargain price, and paid the price for some needed repairs, but since being brought back to specs it has delivered respectable and dependable sevice. Fuel mileage has amazed me in that when driven sanely I average 21-22 in town and 26- 27 on the highway ... all that in a car that will do over 155 mph if you wish.

Smiles, smiles, smiles, repair...
By gmoney68 on 01/10/06 17:39 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

You will love this car! I have the 6sp. Fun to drive, great to look at. You'll receive a ton of compliments. Oil changes are only required every 12k. My radiator has gone twice. It's plastic, but was under warranty. I replaced the cupholders with Ultimate Cupholders that mount near the floor in the front and replaced the rears with a CD holder. You will love this car. Just do yourself the favor and DIY maintenance/repairs or find a reliable private non-dealer BMW shop.

All Day Amusement Park!
By BMW540i6 on 12/21/05 14:19 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love the 540i 6speed. It has tremendous torque for when I want to go fast, but is elegant and civilized when I have the two infants in the back. I enjoy doing the work myself so labor cost is not an issue, but parts can be more expensive than some other makes. If you're an enthusiast like me, you'll love this car.

Hit to the wallet
By Larry on 12/19/05 11:59 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I was in love with this car for almost two months. This 528i was a previous lease and then a BMW certified used car. I put 2500 miles on it and the transmission completely ate itself. Transmission (not dealer replaced) and two control units (dealer replaced) my wallet is now $5500 lighter. This after 78500 total miles on the car. I hope my letter to BMW falls on sympathetic ears.

1999 528i i love it!
By pauljr on 11/04/05 15:09 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used with 117,000 miles on it. I've put almost 5000 on it since august. I love it! I've had a Mercedes E420 a 1997, a 1992 911 carrera 2, 1997 911 C4S. This BMW drives like a cross between the others. The interior is by far the best of all the other cars. The 2.8 inline 6 gives just enough power to have a great time without the tickets you get in a Porsche.

1999 BMW appraisal
By Glenda Bolin on 08/31/05 17:31 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I am in real estate and needed a car that was reliaable and comfortable, I got more, it looks good and is fun to drive with enough comfort and more get- up-and-go than anyone needs. It is silver in color. 4-door 528i leather seats that are heated, automatic seat adjustment and power moon roof.

Inherited Car
By Teri on 04/29/05 07:41 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I'm not a "car person" so you guys bear with me. I inherited this car from my husband. We were married this year and this was his car he was left with after the divorce (wife got Toyota Land Cruiser and he got one for himself after awful experience with a Ford Explorer) The car has alot of miles on it, but according to others, not alot for a BMW. All maintenance is expensive! Still needs a bit of work, but drives like a dream and looks great! I have thought of trading in for something new, but I've decided to keep it because it really is good quality. If I could buy a brand new car and price was not an option, it would be another BMW.