Used 1999 BMW 5 Series 528i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Nice car
By James

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought the car used and had a little trepidation about the reliability of the car. The exterior design of this car is unbeatable bar none. I have the performance 17 inch wheels and the ride is harsh to say the least. The road noise from the tires are too loud. But the car looks and runs so well that I can overlook those few faults. Also I have to take into account that the car is six years old.

The exterior design, the high quailty leather seats and other interior designs.

Can't really think of anything to improve this car. Just keep building them.

BMW 528iT Auto Used
By T. K. Hill

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought this car because the 528i sedan we got three years earlier was so solid. I wanted the sport and premium packages, which is what I have. The ride is very good and aerodynamics great. The stance is low and performance wheels light, so I hit low barriers and bent wheel. The replacement wheels are $600 per. The radiator sprung a leak at 64K. Otherwise it performs as expected.

Be easy on the accelerator and you'll be rewarded. It's very distinctive styling. It has a quiet cabin and every electronic control works.

Increase HP output and fuel economy like Japanese marks, without charging $50K +. Fix cup holders. Add cargo net and cargo mat. Move CD changer to a more accessible place. Local dealer service can't handle volume and charges high fees.

Love this car but
By ryan kerry

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

My wife had a new baby and bought this car. We love the car,it's fun to drive, and realiable, but find it difficult to put a baby in a car seat, and it does not have the extra hooks to tie down a car seat. The drink holders are the worst I have ever seen. We need to move on to a the mini van and forget about getting another BMW.

Ride

Cup holders and extra hooks in back for infant seats

Great car, but only for small people
By James R. Bartlett

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

Beautifully engineered and manufactured, but really fits people only 5'6" or less, with narrow shoulders. Car is very fragile due to lack of road clearance in front. Beware of curbs and parking lot bumps.

6-cylinder engine's performance, economy and sound. Quality of paint, upholstery and fittings.

Seats should fit someone other than small people. I'm just 6' and 170 pounds, but am cramped. Center door post portrudes too far forward.

Best choice of what's out there
By truckerit

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

I shopped around between passat,a6,forester,e-class. i narrowed it down to the a6, 528, & forester. I really liked the a6, but West Broad VW/AUDI serviced my vw also was the only place that serviced audi here in richmond va. so being as they screwed me already on the vw I was trading in, I opted for the 528. Driving this car is such a joy. It's not the most mechanically sound auto. My car is about 5 yrs old now & things are starting to give. My powersteering died & ABS cpu died. I've spent about $2500 in repairs after i purchased, but it's a bmw, it's got character.

handling, acceleration, style, sliding cargo tray

dsp stereo is horible!