1999 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
It really is the Ultimate Driving Machine
By Tim in Charlotte, NC on 10/03/09 14:53 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I have loved it since day 1. Now has 203,000 miles and still love it. Love taking it to the mountains and pushing it to its limits. Very comfortable and easy to drive. With newer tires it rides like a dream. Only have had three issues...rear wheel sensor--$1,000 in 2005. In 2007 AC went and the repair bill was $2,500....ABS Module went...cost is going to $1,000-1,500....unfortunately repair/maintenance is starting to cost too much. Did well for several years...guess mileage is starting to show. Think I have reached my return on my investment.

Best car in the world
By Al on 09/18/09 18:49 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Have this car for two years, bought it used. Drove to Nova Scotia from New York this year and had a great drive all the way. Incredible handling, great comfort, powerful as all get out! Am 78 years old and have had them all--MB's, Lexus rx, 330S etc. Nothing compares to this car which makes you regret it when you exit the car--you want to drive on!

Bargain sports car
By mtnwheat on 04/14/09 12:58 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

What an excellent sports sedan! The looks are timeless and the performance is outstanding. It will put a grin on your face and up to four others in the car with you. Silky smooth V8 with the 6sp manual is a great combination in this size car. A premium car that anyone can afford. Glad I finally got one.

Phenom - Best Car I've Had
By dogsbrekky on 04/10/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have driven every car under the sun except for maybe the Bugatti's and McLaren Merc. This is a total favorite. I owned a 1995 version which had some electrical and suspension problems. This 1999 version is a beast with refinement and awesome handling. I grew up with a test engineer father and we absolutely thrash our cars. This 540i holds up better than any vehicle I have tried to thrash. I have owned Australian racing Toranas, several Subarus, a few BMW (540i, 3 series) and a Lotus Espirit (twin turbo). Overall this is the best machine I have had the pleasure to own or drive and it's handling is 2nd to none in the luxury car stakes.

BMW Driver for life!
By Nando on 10/29/08 16:37 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

We bought our 540i as a Christmas present for us last year and it has not disappointed. It has the 4.4L engine so it's not great on gas, but the thrill factor is off the charts. Maintenance is not cheap but we didn't expect it to be either. We purchased it with 155,000 miles on the odometer and now have 183,000 and it still runs super strong. Highly recommended with the 6 speed sport package!

awesome car
By jeff on 10/20/08 20:19 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought it used and am very pleased with the car. My first few tanks of gas I averaged 25.8 MPG, added a K&N air filter and its up to 27.1 MPG with some added power.

Last car I'll own
By mtaylo3 on 07/19/08 12:55 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

The car's power and performance sold me within two miles of leaving the dealership for a test drive. I've had to replace a couple of parts but I've been able to do it myself. This was due to previous owners neglect though. Easy to work on (as long as it's not an electric problem) but some parts are a bit pricey. There are few stock cars that can outperform the 540i on the road. It's nice to have the power and brakes when u need it.

Brace yourself
By Hang on on 03/11/08 22:29 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Bought the 99 540i-6speed w M-Sport suspension 2 months ago with 137K. I didn't have the BMW bug until I went with my son to test drive one. A month later I bought this car. Doing all the maintenance myself. I saw the previous owner was spending $$$ on maintenance, at the dealership. The trip to work has never been the same since. Everyday I get out of the car absolutely amazed. Accelerates like a space shuttle, turns like a cat, shifts flawlessly ...this cars performance is awe inspiring. I am sure there are faster cars, but nothing will touch it under $50K. Something will go wrong, I am sure. When it does, I will just recall this wonderful feeling and repair her back to original ;-)

Good commuter so far
By Eric on 03/06/08 18:16 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I've always liked this body style- more so than the new 5 series. I found this grey one in fine shape at 88K miles. It handles very nicely and is so sneaky quiet I've got to be careful not to speed too much. I got 29.5 mpg going to Florida over holidays and was so shocked I checked it again for 2 more tanks of gas. Same, over 29 mpg each time. Wow. I've had to replace 2 power steering hoses and oil filter manifold gasket for $800. All else is good so far at 91,000 miles. Car alarm goes off sometimes needlessly which is annoying. I'd like to to disable it. Motor on.

Fun to drive, not to pay for
By Mark on 01/02/08 15:34 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Torque out the kazoo, lots of grunt for passing, throw it in to corners as hard as you want. I regularly drove the car on 600-mi trips and was very comfortable at the end. However, exceptionally expensive maintenance has been a downer. I spent over $3500 (incl $650 to replace a window motor) in 8 mos and could be spending another $1500 as the car has >100K mi. Will not buy another BMW w/o warranty (and probably not with warranty until iDrive tumor is removed).