1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
The best sports wagon you can ever own!!
By hellsredsled on 12/12/10 22:35 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 540i 4dr Wagon

Smokin! If you have one you know what a great car it is!! Its easy to work on so I wont get rid of it. 120,000 miles and it is still as strong running as if it had 20,000. The torque is just a great feeling! It's a 'sleeper' on the streets. It's hard not to drive it hard like a sports car!!! I will fix any problem because you can't replace this car with an SUV. I have a Navigator for luxury rides and a Mini MC40 edition for go-cart fun rides but the wagon is a load hauling sports-car!!!

Awesome car
By Vince on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

Awesome car. One of my favorite cars that I own and I have owned many. Great family car to pick up kids from school and fun to drive after hours

A Fond Farewell
By dc e39 on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

Purchased CPO in 2001. Only had a few problems in my 9.5 years. Performance and build quality is unbeatable. Just sold the car as maintenance is getting expensive on a 12 year old BMW. My all in cost to drive the car (including repairs but excluding routine maintenance) was less than $3,600 per year. With a set of snow tires this car did great in the snow. Car was expensive upfront but more than worth it over time. I miss this car already. I only wish the new 535 wagon wasn't plagued with problems or I would not hesitate to buy another.

High-maintenance
By etc on 03/19/10 23:11 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

E39 doesn't age well. The cooling system is sure to fail by 100K - radiator, water pump and more. Front end likely shot by that mileage. Rear end suspension too. All kinds of leaks, power steering, transmission hoses. All the vacuum tubes get extremely brittle and disintegrate when you touch them. The VANOS system is likely shot by that mileage, decreasing MPG and power. Automatic tranny replaced at 80K Basically just ridiculous how such an expensive car can have reliability of a 1980's Ford. It's a true FORD car, Fix-Or-Repair-Daily.

Excellent buy
By James on 05/12/07 13:18 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

Bought a 4 year lease return from a used car dealer with slightly over 40,000 miles. Have driven it to 80,000 miles after 3 years and had no problems except some minor cosmetic details (e.g. cup holders, door sill trim, door rubber moldings). From a mechanical point of view, had to just do my yearly synthetic oil change at the BMW dealer and put in gas. I've driven slightly over a couple parking stops and pulled away the front valences slightly. If you want a reliable, fun to drive car (not truck) with capacity for five and rear cargo for Home Depot, Costco or Ikea runs, this is a great car to consider. From my recollection, it is top of class (E39) for many years running.

1999 BMW 528iT
By Ichiro on 12/26/06 01:51 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

Purchased lease return at 43,000 miles from a used car dealership. The former owner was a middle aged lady, one owner. The car was basically just broken in. Have had car going on three years now and not a single problem except accidentally parking over a park stop and minor damage to the front air dam. Otherwise, absolutely a gem. The 17" BBS Cross-Spokes can be noisy, but the Bridgestone Turanza tires made it smooth as a Lexus, yet much sportier. The rim guards have prevented a couple rim rashes too. I'm veering off, sound off for the tires now. Anyways, I highly recommend this car, this years build to anyone considering.

Nice car
By James on 07/12/06 20:50 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought the car used and had a little trepidation about the reliability of the car. The exterior design of this car is unbeatable bar none. I have the performance 17 inch wheels and the ride is harsh to say the least. The road noise from the tires are too loud. But the car looks and runs so well that I can overlook those few faults. Also I have to take into account that the car is six years old.

BMW 528iT Auto Used
By T. K. Hill on 02/23/05 14:18 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought this car because the 528i sedan we got three years earlier was so solid. I wanted the sport and premium packages, which is what I have. The ride is very good and aerodynamics great. The stance is low and performance wheels light, so I hit low barriers and bent wheel. The replacement wheels are $600 per. The radiator sprung a leak at 64K. Otherwise it performs as expected.

Love this car but
By ryan kerry on 01/01/05 20:07 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

My wife had a new baby and bought this car. We love the car,it's fun to drive, and realiable, but find it difficult to put a baby in a car seat, and it does not have the extra hooks to tie down a car seat. The drink holders are the worst I have ever seen. We need to move on to a the mini van and forget about getting another BMW.

Great car, but only for small people
By James R. Bartlett on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

Beautifully engineered and manufactured, but really fits people only 5'6" or less, with narrow shoulders. Car is very fragile due to lack of road clearance in front. Beware of curbs and parking lot bumps.