Used 1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The best sports wagon you can ever own!!
By hellsredsled

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 540i 4dr Wagon

Smokin! If you have one you know what a great car it is!! Its easy to work on so I wont get rid of it. 120,000 miles and it is still as strong running as if it had 20,000. The torque is just a great feeling! It's a 'sleeper' on the streets. It's hard not to drive it hard like a sports car!!! I will fix any problem because you can't replace this car with an SUV. I have a Navigator for luxury rides and a Mini MC40 edition for go-cart fun rides but the wagon is a load hauling sports-car!!!

Torque,torque,torque! Sound of V-8 at full throttle!

Get rid of the water cooled alternator! It's very expensive to replace! Better window regulators!

Awesome car
By Vince

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

Awesome car. One of my favorite cars that I own and I have owned many. Great family car to pick up kids from school and fun to drive after hours

Design

A Fond Farewell
By dc e39

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

Purchased CPO in 2001. Only had a few problems in my 9.5 years. Performance and build quality is unbeatable. Just sold the car as maintenance is getting expensive on a 12 year old BMW. My all in cost to drive the car (including repairs but excluding routine maintenance) was less than $3,600 per year. With a set of snow tires this car did great in the snow. Car was expensive upfront but more than worth it over time. I miss this car already. I only wish the new 535 wagon wasn't plagued with problems or I would not hesitate to buy another.

overall performance and build quality

High-maintenance
By etc

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

E39 doesn't age well. The cooling system is sure to fail by 100K - radiator, water pump and more. Front end likely shot by that mileage. Rear end suspension too. All kinds of leaks, power steering, transmission hoses. All the vacuum tubes get extremely brittle and disintegrate when you touch them. The VANOS system is likely shot by that mileage, decreasing MPG and power. Automatic tranny replaced at 80K Basically just ridiculous how such an expensive car can have reliability of a 1980's Ford. It's a true FORD car, Fix-Or-Repair-Daily.

Cabin ergonomics Silent engine quiet cabin station wagon Handling Heater/AC very strong I6 engine with manual tranny

Improve reliability. E39 is far below domestics or Japanese imports. It's a very heavy-maintenance machine.

Excellent buy
By James

1999 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

Bought a 4 year lease return from a used car dealer with slightly over 40,000 miles. Have driven it to 80,000 miles after 3 years and had no problems except some minor cosmetic details (e.g. cup holders, door sill trim, door rubber moldings). From a mechanical point of view, had to just do my yearly synthetic oil change at the BMW dealer and put in gas. I've driven slightly over a couple parking stops and pulled away the front valences slightly. If you want a reliable, fun to drive car (not truck) with capacity for five and rear cargo for Home Depot, Costco or Ikea runs, this is a great car to consider. From my recollection, it is top of class (E39) for many years running.

Design - timeless and will be a classic. Ride/ handling - the perfect 50/50 balance and "German" ride qualities. I've avoided a couple sure accidents with the sure stability, braking and reponsiveness of the anti-lock brake, anti-skid, stability control. I was amazed I didn't ram the car ahead.

Trim - plastic cup holders, door sill, better placement of the rubber door seals, because I always rub upon entering/leaving the car. repeated wear causes them to wear away. Common to replace the cheap cup holders in front and back. Thankfully, they are cheap and easy to get from the BMW dealer.