1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
99 528i
By czego82 on 01/06/11 08:21 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car with 110,000miles and sold it with 200,000. Owned the car for 3 years and during that time other then $30 per oil change every 10k i had to spend $100 on new water pump. THAT IS IT. This car costed me nothing to own. If you are looking for a nice car that requires little to no maintenance - this is a car to get. Very good engine that has no problems, good performance and good MPG (30mpg on highway at 60mph).

99 528i
By AA on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle used in 07 with 85K. This vehicle was been a joy to own. No major issues at this time just the basic maint. I know it's just a matter of time. Might have to sell soon to avoid costly repair bills.

Worst car I've ever had
By hovious on 06/17/10 17:53 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Drives great when its not being repaired which is every other week, I'll take a Honda with all upgrades over an over priced over rated BMW. Sell before warranty expires or be ready to empty your wallet.

A Costly Mistake
By Markscars16 on 02/12/10 18:20 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

When I first purchased this car it looked great as far as paint, along with fit and finish. It also rode well but needed more power. But from 2004 which is when I purchased the car with about 42,000 miles on it from a one owner until now with 100000 miles on it, I have spent over $6500 dollars on brakes, power steering leaks, power window motors, head and tail lamp shorts, transmission problems, and other engine and electrical issues! These cars are over priced, over rated and you will pay bigtime after the 4 year new car warranty is gone! This car is a NO! NO! The Germans need to wake up as the Americans are doing now!

High milage 528I
By K.L.Denham on 01/30/10 12:24 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 2004 for it's styling and performance. It's the wife's primary driver and she puts on a lot of miles. All was well until about 120K. Both rear window regulators have been replaced, $160 ea. The water pump went out. The alternator went out and we replaced with a low mile used one for half the $260 for a new one. Three weeks after the alternator the radiator sprung a leak, $550 to have it replaced. Added with the expensive oil changes $60-$70 and the sport suspension that wears the inside of tire out in 25,000 miles if not constantly rotated and lack of good certified BMW mechanics outside of big city areas, you might think twice about a higher mileage beemer.

It really is the Ultimate Driving Machine
By Tim in Charlotte, NC on 10/03/09 14:53 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I have loved it since day 1. Now has 203,000 miles and still love it. Love taking it to the mountains and pushing it to its limits. Very comfortable and easy to drive. With newer tires it rides like a dream. Only have had three issues...rear wheel sensor--$1,000 in 2005. In 2007 AC went and the repair bill was $2,500....ABS Module went...cost is going to $1,000-1,500....unfortunately repair/maintenance is starting to cost too much. Did well for several years...guess mileage is starting to show. Think I have reached my return on my investment.

awesome car
By jeff on 10/20/08 20:19 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought it used and am very pleased with the car. My first few tanks of gas I averaged 25.8 MPG, added a K&N air filter and its up to 27.1 MPG with some added power.

Good commuter so far
By Eric on 03/06/08 18:16 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I've always liked this body style- more so than the new 5 series. I found this grey one in fine shape at 88K miles. It handles very nicely and is so sneaky quiet I've got to be careful not to speed too much. I got 29.5 mpg going to Florida over holidays and was so shocked I checked it again for 2 more tanks of gas. Same, over 29 mpg each time. Wow. I've had to replace 2 power steering hoses and oil filter manifold gasket for $800. All else is good so far at 91,000 miles. Car alarm goes off sometimes needlessly which is annoying. I'd like to to disable it. Motor on.

Texas BMER
By dalworth55cars on 09/06/06 19:50 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This car is tight and handles well and feels sturdy. The driver's leg room and seat adjustments are a little cramped. I am very pleased with the highway gas mileage, however the city miles are less.

1999 BMW 528i ... very, very nice
By bmw_owna on 03/04/06 10:27 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle certified pre-owned (CFP). BMW has one of the best CFP plans in the US. I love the car. I have had a few technical problems but other than that I love the car. I highly recommend it.