Used 1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Best car ever
By BestCar

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I owned this car for about 13 years, since new. I knew nothing about cars and this was perhaps the most poorly treated, neglected car you can ever imagine. Yet, it was lower maintenance than my current Japanese 'reliable' car, which I follow service schedule to the letter. The worst "problem" was at 10 years when squirrels ate through wires during a year of just sitting, the mechanic changed some fluids, replaced some seals (under 2k total, with all the squirrel damage). So, I stupidly was the worst car owner ever. Yet, the car was perfect. I only sold because I needed money for move and didn't need a car. But, from day 1, this was the best driving experience I have ever experienced. It felt like there was no car there, in a good way, like I was completely connected with road. The seats made my lower back hurt beyond belief after a long trip, yet I happily put up with this pain because of the driving experience (except winter, without snow tires, it was a really bad car in the snow). The cup holders, as everyone has commented on, were beyond bad. They broke in the first year and barely held a drink even when the flimsy 'arms' were functioning. Should be in a museum of bad design. It had other quirks, the steering-wheal/key would randomly 'lock' frequently during attempts to start it...sometimes I wondered if I was going to get going, but always did. I even miss these quirks! Seriously, when I got it people said it would be constant problems and unreliable and maybe I just got lucky (or this car is a masochist), but it was so reliable. And the MPG it got was insane!! I think even better than advertised, crazy.

99 528i
By czego82

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car with 110,000miles and sold it with 200,000. Owned the car for 3 years and during that time other then $30 per oil change every 10k i had to spend $100 on new water pump. THAT IS IT. This car costed me nothing to own. If you are looking for a nice car that requires little to no maintenance - this is a car to get. Very good engine that has no problems, good performance and good MPG (30mpg on highway at 60mph).

Reliability, low cost to own, comfort, fun to dirve.

NONE

99 528i
By AA

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle used in 07 with 85K. This vehicle was been a joy to own. No major issues at this time just the basic maint. I know it's just a matter of time. Might have to sell soon to avoid costly repair bills.

int/ext and how it handles.

cup holders

Worst car I've ever had
By hovious

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Drives great when its not being repaired which is every other week, I'll take a Honda with all upgrades over an over priced over rated BMW. Sell before warranty expires or be ready to empty your wallet.

comfortable handles great when it runs

cup holders trans.

ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE
By alan robinson

1999 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Acquired 5 years ago - this is a sport car sedan. Driven properly it has no serious maintenance issues. It does run through tires every 25,000 miles. Avoid around town driving - best if driven on interstates at 70 mph minimum 30 minutes. Basically, I drive it 1-2 days per week for pleasure. An extremely powerful vehicle that clings to the road. It is the ultimate driving machine.

acceleration/handling/sound system/accommodations/sun roof/handling