1998 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Who'd consider this an economy

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Review

Who'd consider this an economy car - ME!
By me on

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Best trip mileage ever 39.49, with return mileage on same trip 38.86 - I PROMISE THIS IS THE TRUTH!! Worst gas mileage ever - 23.0 ONE time, first year of ownership ONLY. Past winter avg commute/errand mileage 27. Current summer avg commute/errand mileage 29.5! I consider myself an "extra- miler", NOT a "hyper-miler". With that standard vacuum (gas mileage) gauge and using the trip computer, I have steadily improved my gas mileage even as my odometer reads over 150,000! Drives so elegantly when taking it easy, but accelerates and tracks so securely whenever desired. Drives like brand new, not like an 11+ year old car, because I ALWAYS drive her with respect!

The surprising gas mileage, performance, handling, comfort, and such a joy to pilot! A/C handles up to 100 degrees - and has NEVER been recharged in my 7 ownership years! I always wanted a BMW straight six. The engine's so smooth if not concentrating on mileage, sometimes forget to shift.