1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
can't go wrong
By 540i sport on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

The best car I've ever owned. Awesome power, handling, safe and attractive, as well as good resale value. I can count on one-hand 4-door sedans out there that have better attributes than this automobile. Does need snow tires for the winter, but once you put them on the car becomes entirely benign. Also, stick shift and sport package make all the difference.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By BMWTom on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I can't wait to get in my car and drive, this is the ultimate driving machine.

1998 540i Sport
By Scott C. on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

This cars lives up to the hype and continues to impress at 70,000 miles down the road. I can not think of a single car that I would want to drive for what the value of this car is worth currently. It is still tight and drives as good as ever. Taken care of properly this car is as good of a performance sedan that has been put out in the last 10 years. I can't wait to see the new 540 due out in 2003 as an 04 model.

Too late to turn back
By uncleg on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

When we first bought this car for my wife she was in love wthi the style power and performance. I loved the the features. But little did i know it would be the beginning of the end. Not soon after we bought the car we had to replace all the head lights and break lights under warranty. Buy the 3rd yr we have replaced allexterior lights at least 3 times. Called BMW and they state, it is a common problem up until I started to experience more expensive items like the ASC and the transmision relay.etc.etc.etc. The BMW dealers will only provide a loaner if yuo bought it there? Not lexus or mercedes. I will never buy another, I go back to Mercedes and lexus.

Scared to own an M5
By Converted007 on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is one rock-solid car that delivers phenomenal gas mileage. At first we thought the digital readout was incorrect, but have learned to trust it after fill to fill checks. With the cruise set at 140-160 kph (86 to 99 mph) and a good radar detector we have consistently achieved 30+ miles per gallon on the highway and 23 mpg in the city.

love to drive my 540
By DanRube on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

1st BMW great car very fast with Dinan chip and intake (came with car) solid driving machine. Not the best car for just going to the store and back it likes the open road and long distances. Like the weight of the car feels safe.

My first BMW
By mseals on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I can't believe how incredible this car is. Even though it is a used CPO, this car continues to amaze me with it features. Power, smoothness, quietness, are just a few words that epitomize this car. I don't think I can ever go back to a plain car again.

bmw 541
By yd on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

this car is fun to drive but takes a lot of gas.

1998 BMW 528
By Bob Gottlieb on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I have been driving BMW's off & on for 20 yrs. Started with 3's, movedup to 5's. Driven Saabs, Infinitis and Mercedes in between. No other production sedan handles like a BMW. Quiet, catlike on turns and NOTHING brakes like a BMW. Great sight lines too.

The Best Car Ever Made
By Mr. M on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

The only thing I would add to this car is factory installed radar detector.