Used 1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW 540i The Ultimate Dream Machine
By Jud

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Sold my low mile 95 M3 and kept old Porsche SC Cabiolet. Bought used 540i thinking comfort but did not expect comfort and FUN. Corrected usual bugs in cooling system for peace of mind. Great acceleration, not as quick as M3 but easier on these old bones. As fast as P-car but not through corners. Don't understand knock on stereo as premium unit is terrific once you read directions. Added homelink via ebay (very simple install). Will buy another when - and if - I wear this one out. Rock solid at > 100 mph (so wife tells me).

Performance in a 3800lb 4 door sedan. Wonderful touring car. Acceptable mpg for the beast that it is. Great seats. Heated seats are better than those in M3. Safety in mutliple air bag system. Over 60000 miles and tight. Makes it tough choice to take old Porsche out for a spin.

Cup holders are designed for aluminum cans, are fragile and silly... no, make that just plain stupid.

Bimmer Rating '05 for 1998 540i
By Myles Fields

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

This is a excellent vehicle to drive. The V8 packs quite a punch. The interior is wonderful and spacious. the only thing that I thought was a negative was it has some electrical problems. Such as the sunroof. Although I would buy this car any day for its unmatched performance and quality.

My favorite feature I would have to say is the V8 engine and just knowing that im in a BMW.

One improvement that I would give this car better electrical systems. Generally around the sunroof and radio areas.

540i
By Atlanta

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

E39 540i is one of the best cars ever made, bar none. With that said, there is one thing to watch out for when purchasing one, the cooling system. Water pumps with PLASTIC impellers, PLASTIC expansion tanks that crack, Thermostats that fail, and radiators that usually don't last past 70K miles. CPO is great, when it runs out, do-it-yourself and save a bundle. This car is put together right and working on them (and I didn't until this car) is a breeze. You will not be disappointed with this car.

BMW already said it, but I'll say it again, "Ultimate Driving Machine". Styling, performance, comfort, . .

Less plastic in the important parts, more thought on sound system.

I LOVE this car! but...
By c1

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in great condition w/63,500 on OD. Looked like a new car in and out. Very good deal-got it for less than my previous VW GTI new. This car has a GREAT engine! Be prepared for high dealer repair cost... I put in three saturdays of work in the car and saved over $2000 in labor. I knew what to look out for- the stock shocks are almost always blown by 50,000, but I would have switched to Bilstiens anyways. Put in a new water pump and thermostat , changed all the fluids and spark plugs. Did a once over on the car-Not bad for a used car that should be bullet proof for a while now.

The Engine is a beast! Although the stock sport suspension would be more than adequate for most buyers, with some suspension and wheel and tire tuning, this car will eat the road, still be comfortable, with luxury and room to spare. Just what the doctor ordered to go with my new twins!

The dealer will treat you like you have money to throw around- so be prepared for the high cost of labor and parts. In general this is a very well built car-but if you want a get it and forget it car this might not be the one for you. Look out for -suspension,cooling system,vdo gauges.

My Bimmy !!
By Sultanbond

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my used 528I with 68616 miles and its just been a fun experience. I think the exterior design really attracted me to buying the car. The interior is in great shape with really good quality leather. Nevertheless, I think that for a luxury car of this price, the cupholders must go!! The stereo is just ok. Overall, this car is excellent!! It takes the same amount of money to buy a new domestic car or a used 3-5 year old BMW with low miles. My choice... Buy the Bimmer!!

Great Exterior Design!! Dual A/C temperature choice!! Nice Leather quality!! Everything pretty much seems of high quality!! ( except cupholders )

Cup holders are a joke! Dollar store quality!! There should be some storage under center console.. as it is its just wasted space! More 12v outlets! Cd in the trunk? I didn't like this!

• SUV