Used 1998 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My Bimmy !!
By Sultanbond

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my used 528I with 68616 miles and its just been a fun experience. I think the exterior design really attracted me to buying the car. The interior is in great shape with really good quality leather. Nevertheless, I think that for a luxury car of this price, the cupholders must go!! The stereo is just ok. Overall, this car is excellent!! It takes the same amount of money to buy a new domestic car or a used 3-5 year old BMW with low miles. My choice... Buy the Bimmer!!

Great Exterior Design!! Dual A/C temperature choice!! Nice Leather quality!! Everything pretty much seems of high quality!! ( except cupholders )

Cup holders are a joke! Dollar store quality!! There should be some storage under center console.. as it is its just wasted space! More 12v outlets! Cd in the trunk? I didn't like this!

Buy one now!
By Itstoobeautiful

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

The styling of the E39 is perfect-- understated, sensuous, mysterious, and with the right wheel package, subtly aggressive. Performance is incredible-- tracks through corners like it's on rails, accelerates quickly, cruises effortlessly at speed. Leather is buttery soft. This is the kind of car you will never tire of driving. Haven't had any mechanical issues yet. It will need routine maintenance and parts replaced as it has 100k miles on it. Still--it drives like it's brand new. Smooth, quiet, and fast. This car is just plain beautiful.

Interior lighting at night; exterior styling; comfort; brakes; roominess.

cupholder design/strength; AM radio reception; need a 12V power supply for rear seat.

My wife hates it???
By L. Lindahl

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is the finest car I have ever owned. Recently we moved to NC where almost everyone drives a truck, so of course I talked my wife into trading in her 94 Volvo 850 turbo wagon in on a new Tundra which I now drive, giving her the privledge of driving the BMW. She hates it??? She claims the most comfortable seats in the world are hurting her legs, and the dash controls are too complicated. I keep offering to let her have the truck, but she doesn't want to drive something that big everyday. We will soon be trading in this beautiful classic for a new Cross Country, breaking my 18 year streak of owning BMW's. It's too bad the truck is so practical.

I have never owned a car that puts the driver in such a perfect position between the seat and the steering wheel for enjoying the incredible handling this car puts forth.

The cup holders should have been recalled long ago. They really are a driving hazzard if you make the mistake of using them.

Worth the wait.....
By dlgseattle

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Friends in our small Midwest town cannot understand why I "settled" for this car when a new Chevy could have been purchased for the same price. If they could only drive this beauty, they would understand. The performance and handling of this car is pure joy compared to its American counterparts. In addition to being rock solid at 90+MPH (reflecting it's autobahn roots), it handles the tightest of curves like a steel rollercoaster. I can barely stand to drive the family minivan anymore!

Steady ride, polished looks, great brakes. Automatic traction control gives this rear-wheel drive vehicle surprising control on snowy roads. Interior is comfortable and the heated seats are heaven on cold mornings.

The cupholders are a joke - particularly the back ones. Wish there was some type of storage in the center console, seems like wasted space as is.

The best car!
By TampaBMW

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome except for the old school windows on a pulley. The are expensive to replace!

acceleration