1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
The way driving was meant to be!!!
By SlickRick on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 528i from a private owner in CA with 88k mi. on it. My drive back home to NM was nothing short of breathtaking! I was between 95 and 125 mph the entire way and it felt as though it wanted to keep going! HP is rated at 190+ but moves as good or better as most V8's, on the open road. Handling is great w/solid ride. Putting mi. on my car used to be something that I worried about because of resale value. Now that I have my 111k mi. e39 I don't worry about miles because I can't think of a better place to be than behind the wheel!

Great Buy
By westerner99 on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Great buy...holds value well...reliable auto.

lots of fun!
By cachitongo on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I've only had my car for 2 weeks but am loving it! It is solid, predictable and responsive. Awesome brakes and suspension. Beautiful car - a real head turner! I'm glad I made the leap.

BMW 528i
By ruggierose on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

The car has be great since I have had it in '98. Handles well and is designed as you would expect from BMW.

Glad I bought it!!
By earl8 on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I just traded in my 1995 Volvo 850 T5R after having it for 4 years... what was I waiting for!! I have always admired BMW's, but never a serious admirer until now!! I looked at the Q45, the GS 300 and the E430, but got a good deal on the BWM w/ relatively low miles for the year. It's as quiet as a cat and I like the overall smooth ride. Not crazy about the dreaded cupholders, the climate controls are a little strange, but minor complaints about a great vehicle. I feel like I finally arrived!!! Thanks BMW!!

Great drive, average reliability
By kevin528i on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used while still under warranty, thank goodness. Fun to drive and great acceleration, had multiple issues with the vehicle - ranging from emissions to faulty sensors. Expensive to maintain, but the best car I have ever driven.

For Passionate Drivers Only by DWR
By ReinState Inc. on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

True German engineering at its finest. As a passionate driver and an attendee of BMW club gatherings, I appreciate my 528i Sport to the utmost. Sure I’m not impressed with the cup holders, but those whom have that to comment on probably are talking on their cell phones,drinking your drink, all-the- while splitting the white lines doing 40 in a 55. What I appreciate as a 25,000 mile a year driver is what the Germans are all about,DRIVING. Confidence, security, and performance all sum up what I can’t fully express. The only other car I would consider is the 540 Sport……oh baby. At age 28 I feel blessed to have the finest made car on the road.

Out of control
By Hong Kong on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I don't know what it is. When I decided to get a grown-up car, it was between a beemer or a benz. The Beemer won because I was only a grown-up, not yet a geeser. I'm in Hong Kong where there is a 120% tax on cars so my 3 year old 523i came in at US$30k after I beat the dealer down (who had it on consignment) by about 5 grand. But it's been a dream. During the 1st couple of months, I couldn't wait for Sunday mornings when I would take it out on the hilly back roads here to push the envolope on the corners. It's great. There's no other feeling. Oh, BTW, the 5 has room for the wife & kids.

Too late to turn back
By uncleg on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

When we first bought this car for my wife she was in love wthi the style power and performance. I loved the the features. But little did i know it would be the beginning of the end. Not soon after we bought the car we had to replace all the head lights and break lights under warranty. Buy the 3rd yr we have replaced allexterior lights at least 3 times. Called BMW and they state, it is a common problem up until I started to experience more expensive items like the ASC and the transmision relay.etc.etc.etc. The BMW dealers will only provide a loaner if yuo bought it there? Not lexus or mercedes. I will never buy another, I go back to Mercedes and lexus.

Scared to own an M5
By Converted007 on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is one rock-solid car that delivers phenomenal gas mileage. At first we thought the digital readout was incorrect, but have learned to trust it after fill to fill checks. With the cruise set at 140-160 kph (86 to 99 mph) and a good radar detector we have consistently achieved 30+ miles per gallon on the highway and 23 mpg in the city.