1998 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Update from previous review.
By SLW on 11/23/06 17:13 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Now have 72,000 miles on car. Have replaced the radiator, water pump (left me stranded) valve cover gaskets, power steering hoses. Down to one functioning cup holder. Replaced one catalytic converter for a thousand bucks and the other one sounds like it's rattling (I hope it's the other one!). Blowing fuses on remote locking system and had to unplug the gas filler door actuator to stop it. Headlight adjusters broke. Still love the car though. Fun car but not Lexus reliability by any means.

Great Car, when not in the shop
By Bob on 07/12/06 10:40 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Have owned the car for a couple of years and seem to have a major (>$500) repair about every 6 months. Most of the previous posts highlight the poor quality cooling system parts (replaced) and window mechanism (twice replaced). I have also replaced the steering and a/c fan,. That said, it handles perfectly on the road. I am considering either a CPO 5-series or a Porsche now - both are always in the shop anyways.

Shame on BMW
By No More BMW on 07/08/06 19:10 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

What an expensive piece of junk! At 55000 miles, this garbage had nothing but problem after problem. The catalytic converters went (luckily covered under warranty), the engine had multiple oil leaks at different times, the power steering hoses leaked, the front control arms had to be replaced. On the inside, the power tilt stopped working, the driver's power seat stopped working, the electronic dash lights burned out to the point of being of the messages being illegible and the back cup holders wouldn't open. All of this happened while I pampered the car. I am somewhat of a fanantic about caring for my cars. I gave poor performance and fun to drive scores because I was afraid to drive it!

Should not have bought new
By Jim on 08/31/05 17:15 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this new in '98 -- mistake, I should have bought used and saved some depreciation. The vehicle is trouble free. Below normal wear and tear-no real system failures. I still love driving the car and it looks great. The seats wear like iron-even with my considerable weight. At 121,000 miles it is tighter than my wife's Acura was new. I do agree that the cup holders are junk. I make several long trips a year and average over 30 mpg at speeds well in excess of posted. The braking and handling have saved my bacon several times in Atlanta traffic.

The best of all worlds
By j528i on 07/16/05 04:27 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

A classic vehicle that offers a truly sporty ride, with excellent highway handling, while comporting itself with that slow lingering class often found in high-tea cosmopolitan settings. Refined, elegant but full of secret agent type surprises.

BMW 540i The Ultimate Dream Machine
By Jud on 07/05/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Sold my low mile 95 M3 and kept old Porsche SC Cabiolet. Bought used 540i thinking comfort but did not expect comfort and FUN. Corrected usual bugs in cooling system for peace of mind. Great acceleration, not as quick as M3 but easier on these old bones. As fast as P-car but not through corners. Don't understand knock on stereo as premium unit is terrific once you read directions. Added homelink via ebay (very simple install). Will buy another when - and if - I wear this one out. Rock solid at > 100 mph (so wife tells me).

Bimmer Rating '05 for 1998 540i
By Myles Fields on 05/08/05 23:54 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This is a excellent vehicle to drive. The V8 packs quite a punch. The interior is wonderful and spacious. the only thing that I thought was a negative was it has some electrical problems. Such as the sunroof. Although I would buy this car any day for its unmatched performance and quality.

540i
By Atlanta on 03/29/05 16:17 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

E39 540i is one of the best cars ever made, bar none. With that said, there is one thing to watch out for when purchasing one, the cooling system. Water pumps with PLASTIC impellers, PLASTIC expansion tanks that crack, Thermostats that fail, and radiators that usually don't last past 70K miles. CPO is great, when it runs out, do-it-yourself and save a bundle. This car is put together right and working on them (and I didn't until this car) is a breeze. You will not be disappointed with this car.

I LOVE this car! but...
By c1 on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in great condition w/63,500 on OD. Looked like a new car in and out. Very good deal-got it for less than my previous VW GTI new. This car has a GREAT engine! Be prepared for high dealer repair cost... I put in three saturdays of work in the car and saved over $2000 in labor. I knew what to look out for- the stock shocks are almost always blown by 50,000, but I would have switched to Bilstiens anyways. Put in a new water pump and thermostat , changed all the fluids and spark plugs. Did a once over on the car-Not bad for a used car that should be bullet proof for a while now.

My Bimmy !!
By Sultanbond on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my used 528I with 68616 miles and its just been a fun experience. I think the exterior design really attracted me to buying the car. The interior is in great shape with really good quality leather. Nevertheless, I think that for a luxury car of this price, the cupholders must go!! The stereo is just ok. Overall, this car is excellent!! It takes the same amount of money to buy a new domestic car or a used 3-5 year old BMW with low miles. My choice... Buy the Bimmer!!