Used 1998 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My 1998 540i Rocks!
By My 540i Rocks!

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Okay, bought my 540ia used from a lease, it is still in perfect condition at 65,700 miles. This car rocks! I have owned 3 Cadillacs in the past, this car is more refined, tighter, and just plain rocks! The power of the BMW V-8 is tremendous, much more than the Cadillacs I had. This car is fun to drive, handles like the blazes, and makes me feel good. Everything, and I mean everything, still works perfectly on mine. I own a museum condition E30 with 16,100 miles on it, it is in great condition, but this E39 with over 65,000 miles looks just as good.

Favorite Features

Engine. Transmission. Handling. Fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Umm... 500 horsepower like the new M3? Ha!

Buying this car was my greatest decision
By beamer_is_love

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is so much fun; the tight steering, the way the car responds to the gas pedal, the braking system, and the safety. Everything about this car is great, although I recently had a problem with the rear window. It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. It has a luxury interior and a sporty exterior especially with my aftermarket m3 tires and rims. I highly recommend this car to anyone who is out to buy one, although there are some problems that can be fixed.

Favorite Features

Comfortable leather seats, heated steering wheel, roomy, fast/powerful engine, and just because its a BMW. Germans are by FAR the best auto engineers out there.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are a total joke. I spilled coffee all over the floor while making a turn, they fall apart. The dashboard contol buttons fall off every once in a while, the stereo and speakers need improvement as well. My oil pan leaked when I first bought the car, since it it aluminum.

540i 6-speed
By pdxzen

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

The 540i is a fine & fun car. The acceleration is better then most cars on the road with the HP and good torque. Mine is black, w/ black leather interior, and chrome 18in Hamann deep dish rims, w/ 40 series tires, lowered about 1.5 inches, w/ angel eyes conversion, cone air intake, & custom exhaust. It looks pretty good for a 10 year old car. It handles well in corners, but you can tell that it is a little bit nose heavy due to the V-8 in the front as you can break the rear loose when coming around a corner.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, exterior style,dual-zone temp control, brakes work really well.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, cup holders break all the time (just glue then shut with some black foam & don't use them if it breaks), sunroof motor won't tilt roof, door handles will break as they are made of hard plastic, engine valve gaskets will need to be redone, pixels underneath speedo will burn out.

Beautiful and classy, but temperamental
By Zack

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

This is a car that is rewarding to drive and own, but it won't be cheap. My sport package 5-speed 2.8 I6 is a beautiful, well-handling, sporty and overall solid machine. I love it, but when something breaks, it is expensive to fix. Very expensive. Potential owners: be wary of the cooling system around 90k+ miles. Replace it before it goes. It will go bad and that's bad times.

Favorite Features

Interior design and quality. Absolutely no squeaks, rattles, or anything after 100,000+ miles. THE classiest interior on the road in my opinion. The I6 is smooth and powerful, and the tech features are plentiful.

Suggested Improvements

Better cooling system. Fewer plastic parts where metal parts should be used. Less complicated OBC. Fewer triggers for Check Engine Light.

Buy One if You Can
By Ciplex

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

There always lemons and people who cannot be pleased and I would say those are anybody who does not love this car. The 540i is the car to own for fun. Mine is fully loaded with more gadgets than I can ever remember how to operate. The radio went out, I purchased one off e-bay, and self- installed with little effort. The radiator blew out and I replaced that also with no trouble, in fact only needed a screwdriver. Nevertheless, who has not had issues with a use car, this car rocks! I love the body style and the dark red color is the best ever when washed and waxed. In city or on highway this car is so much fun to drive plenty of power waiting to respond and comfort to sit back and relax.

Favorite Features

Ride and comfort

Suggested Improvements

Add XM radio and iPod plug in, lower the body, add rear spoiler and LED taillights. Look through e-bay and you’ll find all sorts of cool stuff to play with.