Used 1998 BMW 5 Series 540i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Buy One if You Can
By Ciplex

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

There always lemons and people who cannot be pleased and I would say those are anybody who does not love this car. The 540i is the car to own for fun. Mine is fully loaded with more gadgets than I can ever remember how to operate. The radio went out, I purchased one off e-bay, and self- installed with little effort. The radiator blew out and I replaced that also with no trouble, in fact only needed a screwdriver. Nevertheless, who has not had issues with a use car, this car rocks! I love the body style and the dark red color is the best ever when washed and waxed. In city or on highway this car is so much fun to drive plenty of power waiting to respond and comfort to sit back and relax.

Ride and comfort

Add XM radio and iPod plug in, lower the body, add rear spoiler and LED taillights. Look through e-bay and you’ll find all sorts of cool stuff to play with.

Best car I've ever driven!
By Sadas

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 156000 miles. Drives like new. Everything works perfect! All electronics work perfectly. A lot of people complain about replacing BMW parts. It's really not that hard; takes a little effort and time. I change my own oil air filters, radiators, pumps, and bunch of other stuff. This is a really nice car! I have owned Lexus and Acura this car beats them all!

Performance, style, power, handling, interior, premium sound is awesome! Easy fix! Reliability! 160 mph!

Oldie but a Goodie
By MKnight

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

For an older car with 100,000 miles on it this car is superb. However, I would not recommend this car unless you can get a warranty or you have cash to blow. All of the car problems have been little (sensors, fuses, etc.) issues. But if I didn't have a warranty I would be out a good chunk of money.

This car makes what used to be a chore fun. I never thought I would come to enjoy commuting! The car is responsive and hugs the road.

The cup holders are truly useless. I made the mistake of using them for my morning coffee and ended up having to turn around to go home and change. Also the stereo has room for improvement.

Update from previous review.
By SLW

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Now have 72,000 miles on car. Have replaced the radiator, water pump (left me stranded) valve cover gaskets, power steering hoses. Down to one functioning cup holder. Replaced one catalytic converter for a thousand bucks and the other one sounds like it's rattling (I hope it's the other one!). Blowing fuses on remote locking system and had to unplug the gas filler door actuator to stop it. Headlight adjusters broke. Still love the car though. Fun car but not Lexus reliability by any means.

Peformance. Luxury interior and features.

Better exhaust and cooling system. Cup holder design of course. Also headlight adjusters are incredible cheap plastic which break easily.

Shame on BMW
By No More BMW

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

What an expensive piece of junk! At 55000 miles, this garbage had nothing but problem after problem. The catalytic converters went (luckily covered under warranty), the engine had multiple oil leaks at different times, the power steering hoses leaked, the front control arms had to be replaced. On the inside, the power tilt stopped working, the driver's power seat stopped working, the electronic dash lights burned out to the point of being of the messages being illegible and the back cup holders wouldn't open. All of this happened while I pampered the car. I am somewhat of a fanantic about caring for my cars. I gave poor performance and fun to drive scores because I was afraid to drive it!

When the thing was running right (rarely), it had a lot of power and handled well.

A little quality would be nice. Besides for the constant repairs, the other notable improvement needed was the radio. It got terrible reception and the sound quality was below average. I had to give low comfort scores because the power tilt and driver's seat rarely worked, so I could not adjust them.