1998 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
BMW 540i The Ultimate Dream Machine
By Jud on 07/05/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Sold my low mile 95 M3 and kept old Porsche SC Cabiolet. Bought used 540i thinking comfort but did not expect comfort and FUN. Corrected usual bugs in cooling system for peace of mind. Great acceleration, not as quick as M3 but easier on these old bones. As fast as P-car but not through corners. Don't understand knock on stereo as premium unit is terrific once you read directions. Added homelink via ebay (very simple install). Will buy another when - and if - I wear this one out. Rock solid at > 100 mph (so wife tells me).

Bimmer Rating '05 for 1998 540i
By Myles Fields on 05/08/05 23:54 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This is a excellent vehicle to drive. The V8 packs quite a punch. The interior is wonderful and spacious. the only thing that I thought was a negative was it has some electrical problems. Such as the sunroof. Although I would buy this car any day for its unmatched performance and quality.

540i
By Atlanta on 03/29/05 16:17 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

E39 540i is one of the best cars ever made, bar none. With that said, there is one thing to watch out for when purchasing one, the cooling system. Water pumps with PLASTIC impellers, PLASTIC expansion tanks that crack, Thermostats that fail, and radiators that usually don't last past 70K miles. CPO is great, when it runs out, do-it-yourself and save a bundle. This car is put together right and working on them (and I didn't until this car) is a breeze. You will not be disappointed with this car.

I LOVE this car! but...
By c1 on 07/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in great condition w/63,500 on OD. Looked like a new car in and out. Very good deal-got it for less than my previous VW GTI new. This car has a GREAT engine! Be prepared for high dealer repair cost... I put in three saturdays of work in the car and saved over $2000 in labor. I knew what to look out for- the stock shocks are almost always blown by 50,000, but I would have switched to Bilstiens anyways. Put in a new water pump and thermostat , changed all the fluids and spark plugs. Did a once over on the car-Not bad for a used car that should be bullet proof for a while now.

Reliability or Performance
By ronkmartin on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Great car to drive when it is on the road. I've owned cars that had a reputation for poor reliability but the car beats them all. I'm a first and last time BMW owner. Buy it only if you have a second car and lots of extra cash.

Wonderful Car, Not so nimble
By RichGilb on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

It's a beautiful car, and BMW does an excellent job thinking of luxury details. The pickup is wonderful, but the handling around sharp curves is not as nimble as a sports car. It's a true sports sedan, and perhaps the best one you can buy. The 6-speed manual is a rocket! I had a number of minor electronic glitches (ghosts). Sunroof stopped working here and there, then started, etc. It was enough to make me a bit nervous about its reliability. But I must say, they were minor issues.

540 is #1
By G-ADAMS on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

BMW IS NOT CALLED THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE FOR NO REASON. THIS V8 IS GREAT. IT IS A SPORTS CAR CAMOUFLAGED AS A FAMILY SEDAN. I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS VEHICLE.

This car rocks!
By Brad Gessner on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I just bought a 540i used with 62K miles but totally clean. This car is so fun to drive... fast, good breaking, & cornering. I got the sport package, but still feel the suspension could be tighter. Perhaps it needs new shocks. The stereo in this car is my biggest complaint. Not sure why BMW can't put a killer amp in the car so the 12 speakers rock. I'll upgrade this myself. Other than that, I can't image why anybody would spend more money for a new car that can't even come close to this one!

Great Car!
By SLW on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 47,000 obviously well cared for miles on it. Great speed and handling with nearly every conceivable luxury. As previously mentioned cupholder are nearly worthless but not that important to me. Service light has a mind of its own and I wish it would burn out. Why there is a gas economy gage and no oil pressure gauge is a mystery to me. You don't buy this model for great fuel economy. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone who is looking for a sports sedan. You probably better buy the extended warranty though just to be safe.

Fun, Safe, but oh yeah, it's fun
By joesurf on 09/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I fell in love at second gear. Gotta buy the 6 speed! Fourth gear is like nitrous. I have not found the limit on cornering.