1998 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
My 1998 540i Rocks!
By My 540i Rocks! on 08/01/08 16:18 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Okay, bought my 540ia used from a lease, it is still in perfect condition at 65,700 miles. This car rocks! I have owned 3 Cadillacs in the past, this car is more refined, tighter, and just plain rocks! The power of the BMW V-8 is tremendous, much more than the Cadillacs I had. This car is fun to drive, handles like the blazes, and makes me feel good. Everything, and I mean everything, still works perfectly on mine. I own a museum condition E30 with 16,100 miles on it, it is in great condition, but this E39 with over 65,000 miles looks just as good.

Buying this car was my greatest decision
By beamer_is_love on 06/09/08 13:06 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is so much fun; the tight steering, the way the car responds to the gas pedal, the braking system, and the safety. Everything about this car is great, although I recently had a problem with the rear window. It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. It has a luxury interior and a sporty exterior especially with my aftermarket m3 tires and rims. I highly recommend this car to anyone who is out to buy one, although there are some problems that can be fixed.

540i 6-speed
By pdxzen on 06/04/08 14:26 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

The 540i is a fine & fun car. The acceleration is better then most cars on the road with the HP and good torque. Mine is black, w/ black leather interior, and chrome 18in Hamann deep dish rims, w/ 40 series tires, lowered about 1.5 inches, w/ angel eyes conversion, cone air intake, & custom exhaust. It looks pretty good for a 10 year old car. It handles well in corners, but you can tell that it is a little bit nose heavy due to the V-8 in the front as you can break the rear loose when coming around a corner.

Beautiful and classy, but temperamental
By Zack on 05/14/08 14:24 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

This is a car that is rewarding to drive and own, but it won't be cheap. My sport package 5-speed 2.8 I6 is a beautiful, well-handling, sporty and overall solid machine. I love it, but when something breaks, it is expensive to fix. Very expensive. Potential owners: be wary of the cooling system around 90k+ miles. Replace it before it goes. It will go bad and that's bad times.

Buy One if You Can
By Ciplex on 05/08/08 13:46 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

There always lemons and people who cannot be pleased and I would say those are anybody who does not love this car. The 540i is the car to own for fun. Mine is fully loaded with more gadgets than I can ever remember how to operate. The radio went out, I purchased one off e-bay, and self- installed with little effort. The radiator blew out and I replaced that also with no trouble, in fact only needed a screwdriver. Nevertheless, who has not had issues with a use car, this car rocks! I love the body style and the dark red color is the best ever when washed and waxed. In city or on highway this car is so much fun to drive plenty of power waiting to respond and comfort to sit back and relax.

Best car I've ever driven!
By Sadas on 05/07/08 21:05 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 156000 miles. Drives like new. Everything works perfect! All electronics work perfectly. A lot of people complain about replacing BMW parts. It's really not that hard; takes a little effort and time. I change my own oil air filters, radiators, pumps, and bunch of other stuff. This is a really nice car! I have owned Lexus and Acura this car beats them all!

My horrible BMW 528i ordeal
By millineumlaura on 04/05/08 09:35 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 BMW used in 2000 with it being certified pre-owned. My car first overheated and the passenger side window stopped working within the 1st year that I bought it,but I only had to pay $50 to get it fixed under warranty. My car overheated so many times it's stupid. I was so scared that my eyes were always fixed to the temperature gage. I replaced the radiator, many hoses, reservoir tank, water pumps, plus the sunroof is stuck, trunk only opens with the key due to the inside buttons not working. This would be a great car if it worked half the time but it was so unreliable that I had to give up on it.

E39 best 5 series of all time!
By DMO on 11/04/07 16:12 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 30K on it after trading in my 328i. Still have it with 100K and it's been the best drive I ever had. Also own a 03 330 convertible and still like the solid, smooth ride and power curve of the 98. It's as tight as a drum, no rattles. All E39s need an aftermarket water pump at 50K due to the plastic impellar, thermostats every 30k, and a better cupholder which can be retrofitted in the change holder. I'm thinking of getting a new 3xi series, but can't bear parting with the 98. Oh yeah, no iDrive!!!

Oldie but a Goodie
By MKnight on 09/27/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

For an older car with 100,000 miles on it this car is superb. However, I would not recommend this car unless you can get a warranty or you have cash to blow. All of the car problems have been little (sensors, fuses, etc.) issues. But if I didn't have a warranty I would be out a good chunk of money.

Bugs Still Not Worked Out
By Paul on 08/26/07 17:09 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

First, the good things: the 528i drives like the 3 series and is larger and heavier. Corners like a dream and is solid as a rock. As much as I hate to say it, BMW really over-engineered this car in many respects. So many unnecessary saftety features used. My 3-series had one thing go bad in 3 years-the oxygen sensor, thats it. My 528i has 130,000 miles on it and here is a list of things on the car that don't work: cruise control, rear window, sunroof, e-brake, catalytic converter broke and o2 sensor went out. Yes, it is true parts for BMWs are expensive, probably 2-3 times that of even other luxury cars. I feel betrayed. I hope this travesty is never allowed by BMW again.