1998 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By artprophet

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

There's a beautiful spirit about this car. Every time I get into the vehicle I find a great peace with the world. This is truly the best car I have ever owned. This beauty of mine is my first BMW. I'm now middle aged and have had plenty of cars and driving experiences but nothing compares to this machine. Perfect handling on the curves and it gives you power when you need it. I find myself driving on the back roads and the highways with comfort and ease. I feel no stress at all. If I feel like cruising at 40 mph or putting it to the test at 95 mph it's all good. I will always have this car of mine. It's a classic now and forever.

Favorite Features

Drive quality, acceleration, comfortable seats, the orange glow of the interior lights at night looks just as good today even at 16 years old, unbelievable paint luster, mint condition.

Suggested Improvements

None... It's a classic car and changing nothing will make it more valuable as the years go by.

Top notch car
By djlarroc

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I registered just to post how much I loved this car. I recently sold it to get something newer, but in over 6 years/50k of ownership, this is BY FAR, THE BEST, MOST RELIABLE CAR I'VE EVER OWNED. And I bought this car in 2005 w/over 100k on it. Aside from that, it's an absolute blast to drive, look at. MPG is amazing for a car this size, 25 mixed. Build quality is superb. Doors shut solid. Engine is solid, drivetrain. I had some minor repairs like a window regulator, fan blower, but was never stranded. Mine was the sport, so it had the lowered suspension and the 17" BBS style wheels. Amazing car. The 5 speed/sport pkg is a must. Anyone thinking of buying this, do it. You will love this car!!

Favorite Features

Sporty suspension, MPG, great acceleration, build quality, feel.

Suggested Improvements

Some cheaper interior plastics, cupholders not very good.

Best BMW so far
By JHOFFMAN

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1998 528i used in 2002 and have put on 72k miles. Car is at 115k and still runs like new. Replaced struts, brakes, new Michelin tires and other minor stuff to be expected but overall, an easy car to maintain. I stopped giving BMW all my money and now have a private mechanic do the work for me. Those inspections are ridiculous and unnecessary. Great mileage on hwy (30+) and looks great in white/tan. Couple of small problems, the seat molding cracked early on, the cup holders have been replaced twice, and the radio readout is starting to loose some of it's display. But the radio (I have the upgraded DP) is my favorite part. A lot of fun to drive and i will keep her as long as I can.

Favorite Features

Drive quality, CD changer and quality of the radio, comfortable seats, looks good today even at 12 years old, unbelievable paint luster, and it's a BMW.

Suggested Improvements

Most are picky so I can't really slam BMW too much. This is a fantastic car.

Love it!!
By Matthewt

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I have had my 528 since July of this year, and love it!! It has 101k on it and is a blast to drive. Everyday I look forward to the commute to and from work as it is my unwind mobile! I average around 26-28mpg combined, yet it has snappy off the line and low end torque. Mine has the 5-speeds which is what I was looking for. Only maintenance problem was a broken motor mount ($40) done myself, relatively simple repair, and a rear window regulator ($95), again, did it in 1hr!! The fit and finish of BMW's has always impressed me, and the 528 does not disappoint!! People gripe about the cost of parts, but that's a fair trade off for a quality, well-engineered car that is designed to perform!!

Favorite Features

Though it's 11 years old, does not look or behave like it!! Classy interior, 5-speed, performance, handles like it's on rails.

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS!! In dash cd player.

Who'd consider this an economy car - ME!
By me

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Best trip mileage ever 39.49, with return mileage on same trip 38.86 - I PROMISE THIS IS THE TRUTH!! Worst gas mileage ever - 23.0 ONE time, first year of ownership ONLY. Past winter avg commute/errand mileage 27. Current summer avg commute/errand mileage 29.5! I consider myself an "extra- miler", NOT a "hyper-miler". With that standard vacuum (gas mileage) gauge and using the trip computer, I have steadily improved my gas mileage even as my odometer reads over 150,000! Drives so elegantly when taking it easy, but accelerates and tracks so securely whenever desired. Drives like brand new, not like an 11+ year old car, because I ALWAYS drive her with respect!

Favorite Features

The surprising gas mileage, performance, handling, comfort, and such a joy to pilot! A/C handles up to 100 degrees - and has NEVER been recharged in my 7 ownership years! I always wanted a BMW straight six. The engine's so smooth if not concentrating on mileage, sometimes forget to shift.

An excellent veichle
By alex lopez

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I have a 1998 BMW 528i . A reliable and safe car. I've only had it for a year and the only thing that went bad on me were the brakes, but overall it's an excellent vehicle and I strongly recommend one as a first car. The parts are expensive but I think it's worth it. The fuel is not so bad on it unless you floor it all the time, otherwise it's fuel economy.

I'll Drive It Another 10 Years
By jkhuddy

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Rock solid at 150K miles. Replaced all cooling components (pump, radiator, thermostat & housing, belts) as a precaution at 140K. Just replaced the struts (they didn't owe me a thing.) Great gas mileage (30+ on highway); having a manual tranny helps. Looks good, handles great, safe and comfortable. Best six cylinder on the market. Bullet-proof drive train. Mine is Canyon Red, which looks great on this car.

Favorite Features

Engine/drive train and suspension. Handling. Fuel efficiency. Structural integrity. Reliability. Easy to work on (really!) Parts aren't too bad if you know where to shop.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders? The Germans didn't want us to have them anyway. Drive the car and have your coffee at the diner. Less plastic in critical cooling system components.

Buying this car was my greatest decision
By beamer_is_love

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Driving this car is so much fun; the tight steering, the way the car responds to the gas pedal, the braking system, and the safety. Everything about this car is great, although I recently had a problem with the rear window. It is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. It has a luxury interior and a sporty exterior especially with my aftermarket m3 tires and rims. I highly recommend this car to anyone who is out to buy one, although there are some problems that can be fixed.

Favorite Features

Comfortable leather seats, heated steering wheel, roomy, fast/powerful engine, and just because its a BMW. Germans are by FAR the best auto engineers out there.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are a total joke. I spilled coffee all over the floor while making a turn, they fall apart. The dashboard contol buttons fall off every once in a while, the stereo and speakers need improvement as well. My oil pan leaked when I first bought the car, since it it aluminum.

Beautiful and classy, but temperamental
By Zack

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is a car that is rewarding to drive and own, but it won't be cheap. My sport package 5-speed 2.8 I6 is a beautiful, well-handling, sporty and overall solid machine. I love it, but when something breaks, it is expensive to fix. Very expensive. Potential owners: be wary of the cooling system around 90k+ miles. Replace it before it goes. It will go bad and that's bad times.

Favorite Features

Interior design and quality. Absolutely no squeaks, rattles, or anything after 100,000+ miles. THE classiest interior on the road in my opinion. The I6 is smooth and powerful, and the tech features are plentiful.

Suggested Improvements

Better cooling system. Fewer plastic parts where metal parts should be used. Less complicated OBC. Fewer triggers for Check Engine Light.

My horrible BMW 528i ordeal
By millineumlaura

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 BMW used in 2000 with it being certified pre-owned. My car first overheated and the passenger side window stopped working within the 1st year that I bought it,but I only had to pay $50 to get it fixed under warranty. My car overheated so many times it's stupid. I was so scared that my eyes were always fixed to the temperature gage. I replaced the radiator, many hoses, reservoir tank, water pumps, plus the sunroof is stuck, trunk only opens with the key due to the inside buttons not working. This would be a great car if it worked half the time but it was so unreliable that I had to give up on it.

Favorite Features

When it did work the speed of it going to the speed of 80 in seconds was impressive.

Suggested Improvements

I was told after spending thousands of dollars into the car that my engine had many leaks and needed to be replaced. This car was parked outside of my home until I paid it off and gave it to charity. Junk yard said it would give me $700 for it.