Used 1998 BMW 5 Series 540i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

1998 540i - 2nd owner
By adius

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Purchased this with 60K on odo as 2nd owner in 2004. Selling it with 108K. Replaced radiator. expansion thank and heat connection because of known weakness. Other issues were only wear items. Great handling and brakes. Comfort is terrific in all seats. Upgraded stereo is very good. Road MPG dropped 2 mpg with ethanol. Have Blizzaks for winter that work very well on car. Hated to sell. Reliable and smooth. Rated by car mag as the best sports sedan ever built up to that point and I agree. Hate to see it go. Would sell this car to my mother.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and road handling. Comfort of seats. Great visibility. Heated seats. Stereo and changer. Air is strong. Well balanced performance-steering, accel., brakes and suspension. No I-Drive. Styling. quick heater, Interior lighting, interior is classy.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a joke and break easily. Cost for repairs at dealer are high. Recommended tire pressures lead to flat spotting, have to bump it 2 lbs. Radiator replacement at 60K.

Fun but .....
By DB

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

This car is a blast to drive, but the cooling system and electronics leave much to be desired. Dash lights, cd player, window mechanisms, radiator, etc all had to be replaced in a car that had less than 100k.

Favorite Features

Handling and acceleration

Suggested Improvements

quality of electronics

This car is fast
By 540inupe

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

My 3rd BMW. Since I have had this car I have had wheel bearings replaced twice. Valve cover gasket replaced. One day I could not get in the damn car. I unlocked the door and the door handle would not let me in the damn car. I crawled in through the back door while my 6 year old kid laughed at me. The next time I picked her up from school she said “Daddy you should leave the windows down and slide in like the DUKE boys”. I have only had cold A/C 1 out of the 4 years I have owned this car. I drove in to work with my back wet from sitting in this hot box.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

Valve cover gaskets, water pumps cupholders, window regulators

My 1998 540i Rocks!
By My 540i Rocks!

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Okay, bought my 540ia used from a lease, it is still in perfect condition at 65,700 miles. This car rocks! I have owned 3 Cadillacs in the past, this car is more refined, tighter, and just plain rocks! The power of the BMW V-8 is tremendous, much more than the Cadillacs I had. This car is fun to drive, handles like the blazes, and makes me feel good. Everything, and I mean everything, still works perfectly on mine. I own a museum condition E30 with 16,100 miles on it, it is in great condition, but this E39 with over 65,000 miles looks just as good.

Favorite Features

Engine. Transmission. Handling. Fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Umm... 500 horsepower like the new M3? Ha!

540i 6-speed
By pdxzen

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

The 540i is a fine & fun car. The acceleration is better then most cars on the road with the HP and good torque. Mine is black, w/ black leather interior, and chrome 18in Hamann deep dish rims, w/ 40 series tires, lowered about 1.5 inches, w/ angel eyes conversion, cone air intake, & custom exhaust. It looks pretty good for a 10 year old car. It handles well in corners, but you can tell that it is a little bit nose heavy due to the V-8 in the front as you can break the rear loose when coming around a corner.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, exterior style,dual-zone temp control, brakes work really well.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, cup holders break all the time (just glue then shut with some black foam & don't use them if it breaks), sunroof motor won't tilt roof, door handles will break as they are made of hard plastic, engine valve gaskets will need to be redone, pixels underneath speedo will burn out.