1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
1998 540i - 2nd owner
By adius on 02/22/10 19:12 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Purchased this with 60K on odo as 2nd owner in 2004. Selling it with 108K. Replaced radiator. expansion thank and heat connection because of known weakness. Other issues were only wear items. Great handling and brakes. Comfort is terrific in all seats. Upgraded stereo is very good. Road MPG dropped 2 mpg with ethanol. Have Blizzaks for winter that work very well on car. Hated to sell. Reliable and smooth. Rated by car mag as the best sports sedan ever built up to that point and I agree. Hate to see it go. Would sell this car to my mother.

Fun but .....
By DB on 09/03/08 12:58 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

This car is a blast to drive, but the cooling system and electronics leave much to be desired. Dash lights, cd player, window mechanisms, radiator, etc all had to be replaced in a car that had less than 100k.

This car is fast
By 540inupe on 08/04/08 07:37 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

My 3rd BMW. Since I have had this car I have had wheel bearings replaced twice. Valve cover gasket replaced. One day I could not get in the damn car. I unlocked the door and the door handle would not let me in the damn car. I crawled in through the back door while my 6 year old kid laughed at me. The next time I picked her up from school she said “Daddy you should leave the windows down and slide in like the DUKE boys”. I have only had cold A/C 1 out of the 4 years I have owned this car. I drove in to work with my back wet from sitting in this hot box.

My 1998 540i Rocks!
By My 540i Rocks! on 08/01/08 16:18 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Okay, bought my 540ia used from a lease, it is still in perfect condition at 65,700 miles. This car rocks! I have owned 3 Cadillacs in the past, this car is more refined, tighter, and just plain rocks! The power of the BMW V-8 is tremendous, much more than the Cadillacs I had. This car is fun to drive, handles like the blazes, and makes me feel good. Everything, and I mean everything, still works perfectly on mine. I own a museum condition E30 with 16,100 miles on it, it is in great condition, but this E39 with over 65,000 miles looks just as good.

540i 6-speed
By pdxzen on 06/04/08 14:26 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

The 540i is a fine & fun car. The acceleration is better then most cars on the road with the HP and good torque. Mine is black, w/ black leather interior, and chrome 18in Hamann deep dish rims, w/ 40 series tires, lowered about 1.5 inches, w/ angel eyes conversion, cone air intake, & custom exhaust. It looks pretty good for a 10 year old car. It handles well in corners, but you can tell that it is a little bit nose heavy due to the V-8 in the front as you can break the rear loose when coming around a corner.

Buy One if You Can
By Ciplex on 05/08/08 13:46 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

There always lemons and people who cannot be pleased and I would say those are anybody who does not love this car. The 540i is the car to own for fun. Mine is fully loaded with more gadgets than I can ever remember how to operate. The radio went out, I purchased one off e-bay, and self- installed with little effort. The radiator blew out and I replaced that also with no trouble, in fact only needed a screwdriver. Nevertheless, who has not had issues with a use car, this car rocks! I love the body style and the dark red color is the best ever when washed and waxed. In city or on highway this car is so much fun to drive plenty of power waiting to respond and comfort to sit back and relax.

Best car I've ever driven!
By Sadas on 05/07/08 21:05 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 156000 miles. Drives like new. Everything works perfect! All electronics work perfectly. A lot of people complain about replacing BMW parts. It's really not that hard; takes a little effort and time. I change my own oil air filters, radiators, pumps, and bunch of other stuff. This is a really nice car! I have owned Lexus and Acura this car beats them all!

Oldie but a Goodie
By MKnight on 09/27/07 12:36 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

For an older car with 100,000 miles on it this car is superb. However, I would not recommend this car unless you can get a warranty or you have cash to blow. All of the car problems have been little (sensors, fuses, etc.) issues. But if I didn't have a warranty I would be out a good chunk of money.

Update from previous review.
By SLW on 11/23/06 17:13 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Now have 72,000 miles on car. Have replaced the radiator, water pump (left me stranded) valve cover gaskets, power steering hoses. Down to one functioning cup holder. Replaced one catalytic converter for a thousand bucks and the other one sounds like it's rattling (I hope it's the other one!). Blowing fuses on remote locking system and had to unplug the gas filler door actuator to stop it. Headlight adjusters broke. Still love the car though. Fun car but not Lexus reliability by any means.

Shame on BMW
By No More BMW on 07/08/06 19:10 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

What an expensive piece of junk! At 55000 miles, this garbage had nothing but problem after problem. The catalytic converters went (luckily covered under warranty), the engine had multiple oil leaks at different times, the power steering hoses leaked, the front control arms had to be replaced. On the inside, the power tilt stopped working, the driver's power seat stopped working, the electronic dash lights burned out to the point of being of the messages being illegible and the back cup holders wouldn't open. All of this happened while I pampered the car. I am somewhat of a fanantic about caring for my cars. I gave poor performance and fun to drive scores because I was afraid to drive it!