1997 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Too early to tell

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Review

Too early to tell
By jgogan on

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I just purchased this 540i (my first Bmer) in Sept, 07. The car had been well cared for with 130K. I like this car a lot. Acceleration, ride, styling and amenities are all first rate. The transmission is a 5-speed auto that keeps are RPMs down when cruising. Just developed a transmission leak and the heating comes on when it wants to. Presently waiting to be inspected by my mechanic for cause and cure analysis. I'm hopeful to create a review after 1 year that comes off a little more positive. I still remain positive though; realizing how much I enjoy this car when all is working well. Get back to you in a year.

Color (Canyon red), tracking, interior fit, trunkspace (huge), engine, soundproofing and seating adjustability and comfort (I'm 6'8").

Cupholders need better engineering. I don't need an automatic mirror on the right side. I feel too blindsided on the driver's side with limited mirror visability. My suggestion would be for less fancy engineering and for more practical ideas; increasing safety in the ultimate driving experience.