Executive Experss
By BrianB on
1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan
I've had the bimmer for a couple of years now, and it still thrills in the curves, coddles on the highway, and being all black, with tinted windows, with the 17" sport wheels, still turns heads. I perfer the looks of this 5 to the new one, but given that the 3 series started to look very much like the 5 it does make it look like you see it all over the place. Engine reliability has been good, but I've been let down by the little, but expensive things... $400 rear window motor and attachments... Air pump, niggly electrical issues, battery, and ball joints that wearout too quickly for a high end car. But, overall, I buy another one in a minute! And that's the best review anyone can give a car.
Favorite Features
Handling, acceleration (I have the five speed), looks, interior comfort (heated seats and steering wheel in Clevelands winter a real plus!), room (two adults and three kids fit well). I will look for a 2001 or so M5 for my next car. I would like the same again just with more power!
Suggested Improvements
Higher quality electrical components, more durable suspension linkage/joints, electronic compas (my X5 has it, and I miss it in my 5 sedan), A BETTER RADIO! FM reception is weak, and AM is terrible... CD Changer works great though, and the 10 speakers sound fantastic. A maintenance free battery!