Used 1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My favorite car...ever.
By cork

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Your best bet is to buy a used one with higher mileage. I bought my 1997 in 2002 with 100K on it. I've put on 20,000 trouble-free miles. It had a sticker of close to $50,000 and I bought it for $18K. The car spins like a top. High quality fit and finish, comfy, and fun to drive.

The best thing about the car is DRIVING IT. It fits my whole family but when you wind it up n the highway it sounds like an exotic, and it handles great for a car of it's size and weight.

The only thing I can identify as really crappy is the cup/drink holders. Very poorly engineered.

Great Car
By Excell

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used in 1/2000 with 44,000 miles. Now have 119,000 and it has been a great car and given great service. I have never driven a car that is more fun to drive.

Favorite feature has to be the performance. The 540I has tremendous power and acceleration. A smooth shifting transmission and great sound system are also among my favorite features.

The cupholders stink. Only one of the 4 currently in the car are operational. Also, the plastic inlet on the radiator gave way after the warranty had expired. After complaining, my local dealer made the repairs.

So far so good
By gbucey

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car a little over six months ago with almost 107,000 on it and it now has 113,500 miles. The car is fun to drive, very reliable and very comfortable. A lot of power for a six cylinder and very smooth ride. I've had no problems with it whatsoever thus far.

Interior is very comfortable and luxurious, great sound system, great power and ride with good gas mileage.

Cupholders are a joke. I had to buy aftermarket cupholders that are functional.

wolf in sheeps clothing
By Tyson

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

What a treat it is to peek over your shoulder as you leave it in a parking lot. But this pales in comparison to the effortless excelerating that awaits your return. The engine and transmission co-operate beautifully. The auto-tranny seems to downshift at just the right momment, never leaving you in search of power. Steering is predictable and responds as only a rear drive car can. If you're still wanting more, try overriding the stability-control. Now the 540, already responsive, really perks up ( be cautious in wet conditions). Comfort is splended as long as you're sitting up front. Rear seats are comfortable, but at 6'1" it's a litttle cramped.

PERFORMANCE. She's comes alive between 40-120mph, giving you all the confidence in the world. Classy, and understated for what it is capable of. Heated seats & stearing wheel on cold mornings. Very driver friendly.

Larger alloys are a must. Electrical system does not inspire confidence. Bumbers and side-skirts lack aggression. CUP HOLDERS? Must be german humor.

Great Buy
By GoCubsGo

Excellent car to drive.

huge trunk, sound system is very nice. seats are so comfy

XM radio ! Profile 200 roof rack for bikes, cargo box ect