1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
NICE TO DRIVE, BAD FOR YOUR POCKET!
By GEORGES on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

The ride is great, it is fun to drive, good performance, good looking, but bad reliability... I have changed all the fans rumbling and some rear drivetrain piece because of a strange TIK" coming from the rear of the car when you start up with the car. If you have much money to spend on your car, it's a great choice

Where do I put my stuff?
By fofoshack on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Perfect, except the console storage (or lack thereof)

528's Are BAD NEWS
By felgar on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a lease return with an after market warranty. It has constantly been in the shop. The last major problem was a blown head gasket and warped head - BMW took no ownerhship in the problem and cost me $5K. These are very unreliable cars and I will never purchase a BMW again. Great looks but Big Money Wasted

Bavarian Bliss
By Bimmer One on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car on the certified plan with 53000 miles. The car is incredibly solid and has performed flawlwessly. It is expensive to maintain, so be prepared. I routinely get almost 30MPG on the highway and the car cruises at 80MPH all day long. I added a couple of Dinan modifications to boost HP and they work flawlessly.

The best
By skiier on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

The most fun to drive - and I thought nothing would beat my '93 Taurus SHO. Even with less HP, this one really goes. Love to set the cruise at 100 for long trips - that's when the car is at it's best.

Some like it Hot!
By Habu on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Fantastic performance, acceleration, and handling. overall Quality unexcelled except perhaps by Mercedes. The 6-speed trans. makes me feel like a teenager again. I can't wait to drive it, even just to the grocery store. My next car will be the "M5".

One of the best cars I ever had!
By kriss77 on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

This is a superb car, and it is definitely the best in its class. This is a true sports sedan, that not only is very comfortable (16 way adjustable seats), but performance oriented. Acceleration times are amazing for this type of cars. 6.2 seconds from 0 to 60 on an automatic, and 5.8 seconds on a manual transmission speaks for itself. The V8 produces a massive torque and every time you step on the accelerator, you get "pulled" into the bucket of the seat. If you have never owned a 540i, you are missing a lot. If you plan on buying this car, make sure you get an extended warranty.

Stay away
By badnews on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is the most dangerous car I've ever owned. In the two years I have owned it, the engine has blown, the electrical system has completely failed, and the car almost caught on fire. I bought it used with 42,000 miles on it and it now has 91,000 miles on it. BMW should be embarrassed. The only saving grace is that I have a 100,000 mile extended warranty. It has easily saved me $15,000 in repairs. I am about to trade it in for a Honda Accord.

My red concorde
By Justind on 03/17/02 23:19 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I must say even with the problems that I have had with my 540i, it still is a pleasure to drive. I am a little disappointed with BMW because over the past years of ownership I have had to replace Sunroof Tilt, control arms, radiator, wheel bearing, instument panel. It is an expensive car to run there no questioning that. That why I have a Honda. The quality of the car is excellent but the reliability could be better. I have never been stranded anywhere but there have ben tedious moments with my 540i. The performance on the car is AMAZING. You get pushed back into you Seat on full trotle takeoffs. The feeling is great. Its like having an f-16.

The Ultimate Nightmare
By quikslvr on 03/15/02 14:38 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

1997 BMW 540I 6speed The car is fun to drive when it works. In 44000 miles the car has been flat bedded back to the dealership three times. The car has been back to the dealership five times in the last nine months for repairs to the cooling system. The car is leaking oil from the engine. BMW tells me there is nothing wrong with the car. The bottom line is they just don't care. This is definitely my last BMW.