1997 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
My first, and last
By TomnMemphs on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car CPO with 53K miles on it. Yeah, it's a BMW, but that doesn't impress me much anymore. It drives great, but that's it's only decent feature. In the last month, I have spent nearly $1,000 on various maintenance....brakes (just for the front - $500)and the dreaded Inspection II ( a glorified tune-up, and another $500). I've owned both domestic, japanese, and other European autos and trucks. This car is NOT worth the cost ( both for the car, and the total maintenance costs). If you live in Memphis, you're forced to buy from a single dealer. I suggest you buy something else.

Very clean
By johnnybadboy on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

the best car i ever had

Same $ as a camry
By Mike . on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

well, for the price of a new camry 2003, I got a 5 yr old bmw 5-series with only 41k and a full warranty...which was the better deal? duh. my only complaint is the window rubber trim is crappy...is brittle and weathered too much for a BMW

fantastic all around
By ginzoes on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

when a company allows the factory warranty to remain withe car;irregardless of #of owners,it's plain to see a car company that believes in their product!

Fun Fun Fun But Nickle and Dimed
By FGORILLA on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Unbelievable performance, but there have been quite a few minor ($$$) electrical issues (i.e. rear window won't retract, warning lights stay on, etc).

Bimmer Bummer
By delawaredriver on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Electrical and mechanical problems plague this car. It has more rattles than an old Chevy. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. I used to overlook the failures because of how much "fun" it is to drive a BMW. No more! Can't wait to get rid of it.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By UNKNOWNBMW M5 on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Best Car on Earth All BMW's are

6 Speed 540i
By BCUZICAN535 on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

BMw is goin in the right way i also have a 91' 535i 5-speed and the 540 is much more powerful. The clutch is really have and has rapid engagement. The car is one of the best handling cars out their and its a sedan. I have not had any major mechanical problems yet. Maintanance is high but you do get what you pay for.

In love
By bimmergal on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 528ia last year, and I love it! Not only is it fun to drive, but I get great gas mileage, and I get a lot of attention from the guys! I have never had a car before that responded as quickly and powerfully as this one. I would like to have an M5 but as of yet can't afford it. Thank goodness I didn't get that 98 328 convertible I looked at first! My car is gorgeous outside and inside.I'm only 26, so I didn't want a sedan that looked like an old lady car. I doubt that I will ever buy a car by any other maker! So far reliability has been good.I'm at 47,988 miles now.

knock on wood
By pupjr on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

No mechanical problems, no reliability problems. The most solid, quiet car I have driven. What's with the AM radio reception? Am beginning to get a little bit of hesitation in first shift of the automatic, could the beginning of the problems be near? 75,000 miles and I hope all this talk about expensive to repair isn't going to come true! What else out there drives like this for the money AND is cheap to repair?