Used 1997 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Should have lasted longer
By TnD

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Totally babied my 528 with best oil every 5k and easy frwy driving..Thought it would go at least 300k like my old 735 that's still running good , but at 180k [not alot these days] engine needs bottom end rebuilt, [full rebuild]..Very dissapointed..Should have lasted alot longer!

Favorite Features

Great ride..

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical quality!

It's Time to Go
By RLight

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

The car is so much fun to drive. The pick up is great even though it needs major repair. I can hit 100mi before I know it and it looks cute too. I bought the car with high miles thinking it's a BWM, it can go for miles. But the repair problems are mounting. From water pumps, brakes, suspenion, thermostat and theromstat housing, the list goes on. The trunk release motor is shot and don't get me started on those cheap A$$ cup holders. It's no longer cost effective to be able to drive this BWM. It's gotta go.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and steering wheel!! The acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders!!

Fun to drive!
By PAER

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Initially, I wanted to purchase a 7 series, but discovered that I could get the same V-8 in a 540. Plus! Why pay a few extra thousand dollars to have leg room for people to sit in the back who are not paying your car note! The 1997-2001 5 series look basically the same, so I used the “worst house in the best neighborhood” theory and purchased a 1997 in mid-Jan 2004 with only 52K miles on it. At the 61K mark, the cooling system died and I got that and all belts replaced at an independent BMW shop. I saved some pennies and went from riding a bike to getting this BMW! :-)

Favorite Features

1. V-8 2. Gas milage 3. Limited exterior design changes between 1997-2001.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders...of course! Master A/C control on steering wheel. More easily removable flashlight in glove compartment.

Great Car but Can't Wait to Sell It
By JonesDM

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Great highway cruiser, quiet, firm, comfortable - feels like its part of the highway. Fun to drive and looks great- an almost perfectly executed car, but has needed over $12,000 in repairs since new.

Favorite Features

Handling, design, everything clicks and moves so smoothly. Lots of check engine lights to keep you entertained - learning all the mechanic's by first name.

Suggested Improvements

I bought it knowing that the reliability was poor. I thought that since I only drive 6,000 miles a year that it would be okay. WRONG! By far the most unreliable and expensive car to maintain that I have ever had. I want my Camry back. Were the cupholders rejects from Yugo?

Almost as good as it gets.
By Rodney J

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

The car handles and corners amazingly well considering how soft, quiet, and luxurious it otherwise rides. The inline six is sporty enough but could use some more torque. The black interior looks luxurious and a little wicked at the same time. I took a friend of mine who recently bought an Infiniti for a ride in my 528. Within a mile he was already talking about getting a BMW. The reliablilty, compared to Toyotas, is dismal. The dash electrics, air conditioning, exhaust, 3 sunroof repairs, engine idle solenoid, window motor, trunk release, radio have all had problems (1 non- routine problem per 6,800 miles).

Favorite Features

Handling, quietness, driving involvement, styling, comfortable seats, 30 mpg at 80 mph, quality of materials, air filtration system, brakes, and the ability to hit 100+ mph speeds without realizing it.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, a more powerful engine, and better cupholders. Consumer reports does show that the 5 series became more reliable after '97 and '98. And BMW increased the power with the larger 3.0 engine. With these improvements the 530i should be almost the best car ever made.