1997 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
BMW 540
By Clark Lindemann on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Once I have owned a BMW 540 I can truly say it is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

top of the food chain
By jr roadcaptain on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I am coming up on 7 years of ownership and 90K on the clock. Yes I just did the radiator but got the cat and a couple of small items under the extended warranty. I have owned and driven various Bimmers and this one is the berries. Do not, I repeat, do not drive this car for any length of time if you cannot buy--it will ruin you for all other cars, even some other Bimmers.

528i can go a long time
By budokan on 03/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

needed new cat conv at 135K, various bulbs, trunk release, interior lighting, headlight bulb, minor oil leak seal housing. fun to drive. safe. fast. got 147k now going for 200.

Daily Exhilaration, > Fun Than Imagined
By my540aye on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Fantastic response in power,braking and handling. Watch maint. issues: 1. Cat. Converters (8yr/80K from BMW) 2. Radiator & Overheating Issues 3. Vacuum Plate & Crankcase Valve. PURE SPORT LUXURY. Insur. Class is high 23 for automatic and a 24 for the 6- speed. The 540i is the wonderfully fun and still functional. A longtime car salesman told me the 540i (vs. 528i) was for people who really want a Porsche, not a BMW; I now have perspective of his reference, yet disagree. I recommend the 540i for anyone over 21 years old. There is a reason the 540i resale is greater than the 740's. Drive one for yourself.

Superb Euro Sedan
By Blondebeard on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

The ’97 E39 540i Sport is a study in contradictions, completely in-line with expectations. I’ve had mine about a year, and just crossed 72K miles. On the whole, the car has been a splendid purchase. They stop on a dime, handle well, and start to really shine where other cars sign off. With the right tires and fresh clutch, they’re a blast at track days, too. Imagine that: a family sedan that performs well at the track. Short of an M5, I cannot recall another sedan that can make this claim.

Lots of Fun
By zipper on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Combines luxury with performance. Very fun to drive.

This is the one
By Carlosq on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Nothing better to drive

There's Only One!
By Vegas Bob on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I have been driveing for 30 years and have owned..everything at one time or another. My 528ia is by far the best machine I ever owned. Its now got 62,000 miles and its now just breaking in. It may be a six cyl, but it just chews on most 8's and spits them out as it goes by. The quality in every aspect is just the best. The only problem is I have to buy another one now that my lease is up. Theres just no driving anything else after this car.

Sexy 6 Speed
By M1ke B on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Ultimate Driving Machine: it fast(beat a z28 stick, M3) , handles great, and looks great.

Wow.
By FrostyPaw on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

You just can't drive anything else once you've owned one of these.