Used 1997 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great Car Limted By Electrical Quirks
By mickt2

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Mechanically, the only thing I've had to do is replace the brakes once. Electrically, it's been a nuisance. In the past 2 years it's been in the shop for ignition failure, windshield wiper motor replacement (twice), window regulator failure, electronic trunk release failure, failure of sunroof, loss of sound to half the speakers. The heated seats keep blowing a fuse,and it can't be repaired without replacing both front seats. Each shop visit has run in the several hundred dollar range, and BMW dealers seem to think its nothing for you to wait 2 weeks for an appointment and then leave your car there for 2-3 days.

Near perfect drive/comfort factor. Gorgeous inside and out.

Electrical gremlins. Base stereo sound quality is poor for a vehicle of this caliber. 2.8L is a little underpowered. I won't even mention the cupholders.

so far so good
By Georges81

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

the car handle well, it's fun to drive, and it gives a nice driving pleasure. The only thinks you are scared of, is that you don't know if you will arrive to your destination with out having a small technical problem.

Sound engine, and braking

reliability, steering caliper sound, and front arms.

Buy a different car!
By Diane K-C

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I thought that a BMW was the way to go after running my Honda Accord into the ground at 235,000 miles. The total amount of money that I had spent on repairs that I had done on the Accord were just about what I have spent on repairs in just one month on this car! It is ridiculous...I am in the shop literally every other month and there are still things that I need to get done to it. I was impressed by the "name" and safety record of these cars, but am now just figuring out how to get rid of it!

Leather heated seats and steering wheel

The can holder in the back seat is plastic and I have replaced it 3 times in 3 years...and it's not cheap!

First model year
By dan7788

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

97 is the first model year of the 528i (build starts 96). I think many 97 528 owners, many of the them have the same problems. The rear power window regulator breaks. Water pump would go at about 70k mi. power seat have problems, so is the airbag warning sensor. interior starts making noise after awhile. The alarm sensor for the trunk might have problem. BMW issued notice for dealer to fix a lot of these problems. Early model don't have manual shift mode. The brakes are really good but don't last long. The engine only makes 190hp, it runs slower than my old C280.

nice optional leather. nice wood touch. long oil change period.

Bigger trunk. better cup holder! Bigger standard wheel (w/o sport package, only 15 inch). 12 speaker sound system sucks.

My favorite car...ever.
By cork

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Your best bet is to buy a used one with higher mileage. I bought my 1997 in 2002 with 100K on it. I've put on 20,000 trouble-free miles. It had a sticker of close to $50,000 and I bought it for $18K. The car spins like a top. High quality fit and finish, comfy, and fun to drive.

The best thing about the car is DRIVING IT. It fits my whole family but when you wind it up n the highway it sounds like an exotic, and it handles great for a car of it's size and weight.

The only thing I can identify as really crappy is the cup/drink holders. Very poorly engineered.