1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
There's Only One!
By Vegas Bob on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I have been driveing for 30 years and have owned..everything at one time or another. My 528ia is by far the best machine I ever owned. Its now got 62,000 miles and its now just breaking in. It may be a six cyl, but it just chews on most 8's and spits them out as it goes by. The quality in every aspect is just the best. The only problem is I have to buy another one now that my lease is up. Theres just no driving anything else after this car.

Wow.
By FrostyPaw on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

You just can't drive anything else once you've owned one of these.

My first, and last
By TomnMemphs on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car CPO with 53K miles on it. Yeah, it's a BMW, but that doesn't impress me much anymore. It drives great, but that's it's only decent feature. In the last month, I have spent nearly $1,000 on various maintenance....brakes (just for the front - $500)and the dreaded Inspection II ( a glorified tune-up, and another $500). I've owned both domestic, japanese, and other European autos and trucks. This car is NOT worth the cost ( both for the car, and the total maintenance costs). If you live in Memphis, you're forced to buy from a single dealer. I suggest you buy something else.

Very clean
By johnnybadboy on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

the best car i ever had

Same $ as a camry
By Mike . on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

well, for the price of a new camry 2003, I got a 5 yr old bmw 5-series with only 41k and a full warranty...which was the better deal? duh. my only complaint is the window rubber trim is crappy...is brittle and weathered too much for a BMW

fantastic all around
By ginzoes on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

when a company allows the factory warranty to remain withe car;irregardless of #of owners,it's plain to see a car company that believes in their product!

Fun Fun Fun But Nickle and Dimed
By FGORILLA on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Unbelievable performance, but there have been quite a few minor ($$$) electrical issues (i.e. rear window won't retract, warning lights stay on, etc).

Bimmer Bummer
By delawaredriver on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Electrical and mechanical problems plague this car. It has more rattles than an old Chevy. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. I used to overlook the failures because of how much "fun" it is to drive a BMW. No more! Can't wait to get rid of it.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By UNKNOWNBMW M5 on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Best Car on Earth All BMW's are

In love
By bimmergal on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 528ia last year, and I love it! Not only is it fun to drive, but I get great gas mileage, and I get a lot of attention from the guys! I have never had a car before that responded as quickly and powerfully as this one. I would like to have an M5 but as of yet can't afford it. Thank goodness I didn't get that 98 328 convertible I looked at first! My car is gorgeous outside and inside.I'm only 26, so I didn't want a sedan that looked like an old lady car. I doubt that I will ever buy a car by any other maker! So far reliability has been good.I'm at 47,988 miles now.