1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Love this car
By Wilfredo on 09/20/06 13:05 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

My 1997 540i is 163,000 miles-old and it still feels & drives like a brand- new-year-model. With a powerful V8 that's not designed to pull you back into your seat when taking a ride, but instead, gives you the smooth enjoyable feeling which makes you just want to keep driving. At first it all had to do with just experiencing what was to have a BMW, but once I had it, it all changed. I thought I had tried it all, I was very wrong. This is the Ultimate Driving Machine. Quality Interior design & components, powerfull awesome engine,... There are new cars coming out every year (Lexus, Infiniti, etc) and most of them don't even come with the gadgets that came in my BMW 540i 1997 model.

Love the car but my wallet doesn't!!
By Al on 07/23/06 12:27 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

My second bmw. I had a 325i before and loved it. Decided to get the 528i later. Car is great. Love all the features and the DRIVE!

Great Sedan
By petepeter on 05/04/06 09:11 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 528i new & have driven 84000 miles. Great road & @town performance. Just had a wreck, a total loss. Doors still open and no injuries. I was in control to swerve & miss a head-on collision & was hit on the driver's door and to the rear. Great safety for its age. Can't find a comparable to replace it.

One Great Used Car!
By 78280z on 04/12/06 13:57 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car on eBay with 82k miles. I have changed belts, spark plugs, oils. At 100k I changed the valve cover gasket (piece of cake) at 105k I had the tie rods change. I have done some little things to keep it looking and operating like new. The car is easy for the "DIY" to work on. This is the finest car I have driven. I'm a car salesman and this is not the brand I sell. It will be the brand I drive from now on. A Car To Be Proud Of!!

Great Investment
By justducky150 on 09/29/05 13:45 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Great investment... if a used car could be such a thing. This 540i has been stellar in reliability and performance. I bought with 29,000 miles and it started service on the road in August 1996. 80,000 miles later and the car still is turning heads and has tremendous thrust. Parts that had to be purchased: water pump, windshield wiper motor, AC compressor (covered under warranty). Other than that, it has been almost flawless. I started driving it in brutal Western Pennsylvania winters 2 years ago, favoring its reknowned safety cage, and have never had a problem with sliding/skidding. The car is perfectly balanced. Above average cost of investment for excellent long term return.

Executive Experss
By BrianB on 08/03/05 15:49 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I've had the bimmer for a couple of years now, and it still thrills in the curves, coddles on the highway, and being all black, with tinted windows, with the 17" sport wheels, still turns heads. I perfer the looks of this 5 to the new one, but given that the 3 series started to look very much like the 5 it does make it look like you see it all over the place. Engine reliability has been good, but I've been let down by the little, but expensive things... $400 rear window motor and attachments... Air pump, niggly electrical issues, battery, and ball joints that wearout too quickly for a high end car. But, overall, I buy another one in a minute! And that's the best review anyone can give a car.

Excellent car
By Exelent car on 07/28/05 17:21 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I drive my 2000 BMW 528ia from Los Angeles to Cancun 3 times a year, plus must of my driving is on Mexican highways. The car never breaks down,and is super stable. Averages speeds of 85 to 100 mph on this roads. Few little things are bad in car like condensation in the headlights and wind noise from the windshield, other than that it's a rocket. I had to replace the rear window motors.

Well Maintained, Used the way to go!
By mjack85 on 06/08/05 19:50 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Looks that stand the test of time. Great handling, this car is unbelievable for an 8 year old car. Bought it with 90k with all service records. Previous owner kept meticulous care and seems to have repaired and replaced most trouble spots prior to trading it. I cannot find anything wrong with this car and love driving it.

look out open road
By bigb on 03/31/05 04:13 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Bought it recently and car was well cared for. What a car-like going on vacation every time behind the wheel- just pure pleasure. I know it will eventually cost me but who cares-you can't take it with you. If you have the desire-try one used and you will see what I mean.

MacGregor Review
By MacGregor on 03/19/05 14:12 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Rides and handles very well. This body style is the best they've ever had. A solid, well built machine, though a bit pricey to have parts or work done.