1997 BMW 5 Series 4.4L V8 Consumer Reviews 2

1997 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

540i Sedan (4.4L V8)

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great Car!
By Brendon on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Exellent performance. One of the nicest sounding engines ever! It goes like a bat out of hell.

Great Car
By Excell on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used in 1/2000 with 44,000 miles. Now have 119,000 and it has been a great car and given great service. I have never driven a car that is more fun to drive.

wolf in sheeps clothing
By Tyson on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

What a treat it is to peek over your shoulder as you leave it in a parking lot. But this pales in comparison to the effortless excelerating that awaits your return. The engine and transmission co-operate beautifully. The auto-tranny seems to downshift at just the right momment, never leaving you in search of power. Steering is predictable and responds as only a rear drive car can. If you're still wanting more, try overriding the stability-control. Now the 540, already responsive, really perks up ( be cautious in wet conditions). Comfort is splended as long as you're sitting up front. Rear seats are comfortable, but at 6'1" it's a litttle cramped.

BMW 540
By Clark Lindemann on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Once I have owned a BMW 540 I can truly say it is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

top of the food chain
By jr roadcaptain on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I am coming up on 7 years of ownership and 90K on the clock. Yes I just did the radiator but got the cat and a couple of small items under the extended warranty. I have owned and driven various Bimmers and this one is the berries. Do not, I repeat, do not drive this car for any length of time if you cannot buy--it will ruin you for all other cars, even some other Bimmers.

Daily Exhilaration, > Fun Than Imagined
By my540aye on 03/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Fantastic response in power,braking and handling. Watch maint. issues: 1. Cat. Converters (8yr/80K from BMW) 2. Radiator & Overheating Issues 3. Vacuum Plate & Crankcase Valve. PURE SPORT LUXURY. Insur. Class is high 23 for automatic and a 24 for the 6- speed. The 540i is the wonderfully fun and still functional. A longtime car salesman told me the 540i (vs. 528i) was for people who really want a Porsche, not a BMW; I now have perspective of his reference, yet disagree. I recommend the 540i for anyone over 21 years old. There is a reason the 540i resale is greater than the 740's. Drive one for yourself.

Superb Euro Sedan
By Blondebeard on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

The ’97 E39 540i Sport is a study in contradictions, completely in-line with expectations. I’ve had mine about a year, and just crossed 72K miles. On the whole, the car has been a splendid purchase. They stop on a dime, handle well, and start to really shine where other cars sign off. With the right tires and fresh clutch, they’re a blast at track days, too. Imagine that: a family sedan that performs well at the track. Short of an M5, I cannot recall another sedan that can make this claim.

Sexy 6 Speed
By M1ke B on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Ultimate Driving Machine: it fast(beat a z28 stick, M3) , handles great, and looks great.

6 Speed 540i
By BCUZICAN535 on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

BMw is goin in the right way i also have a 91' 535i 5-speed and the 540 is much more powerful. The clutch is really have and has rapid engagement. The car is one of the best handling cars out their and its a sedan. I have not had any major mechanical problems yet. Maintanance is high but you do get what you pay for.

528's Are BAD NEWS
By felgar on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a lease return with an after market warranty. It has constantly been in the shop. The last major problem was a blown head gasket and warped head - BMW took no ownerhship in the problem and cost me $5K. These are very unreliable cars and I will never purchase a BMW again. Great looks but Big Money Wasted