1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great car
By Paul the Preacher on 03/31/10 18:02 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used July 2007 with 150,000 miles. I love this car. The previous owner took good care of it. It's like new on the inside. If gas was cheaper I would have a million miles on it. I only have 181,000 mile. It is a joy to drive. I've only had minor issues with it, and they all are covered in other reviews. cup holder, battery dies, tie rod, and alarm system a little crazy. I will purchase at least 2 more.

what a great car
By bobbybuche on 02/25/09 05:57 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I just purchased a 1997 528i yesterday and the car only had 65,000 miles on it. The car is great it feels like I'm riding on rails and the suspension beats the heck out of my old explorer. I have seen a few people talk about wind noise from the front windshield and what you need to do is pull of the weather stripping and lay down a very small bead of silicon and place a small piece of rope on the inside of the groove of the seal when you reinstall the window pull the rope back out al the way around and this will provide the best seal and will eliminate the wind noise I guarantee. Other than that the car is amazing.

Future Classic
By Farhan haque on 11/28/08 14:08 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

it is a well know fact that E39 (97- 02) is among the best BMWs. For its size, it has matchless handling. few cars of this era has heated steering. All controls inside are intuitive. Exterior is matchless and even now it does not look dated, in fact is still a head turner. You hear the bump but you dont feel it, suspension is so good. Compared to its competitors, E class or Lexus GS, it's sportier and should be the choice of a car enthusiast.

Great car
By frick on 08/09/08 13:24 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is my 4th BMW and was purchased with 320,00 km cheap. Car needed struts, control arm, tie rods, rear ball joints, stab links and cvv. After doing all the work this car runs and drives like new. Body had small rust on back trunk lid (repaired) shined back up to almost new condition after 10 Canadian winters. Good value for used car.

Love the car but my wallet doesn't!!
By Al on 07/23/06 12:27 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

My second bmw. I had a 325i before and loved it. Decided to get the 528i later. Car is great. Love all the features and the DRIVE!

Great Sedan
By petepeter on 05/04/06 09:11 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 528i new & have driven 84000 miles. Great road & @town performance. Just had a wreck, a total loss. Doors still open and no injuries. I was in control to swerve & miss a head-on collision & was hit on the driver's door and to the rear. Great safety for its age. Can't find a comparable to replace it.

One Great Used Car!
By 78280z on 04/12/06 13:57 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car on eBay with 82k miles. I have changed belts, spark plugs, oils. At 100k I changed the valve cover gasket (piece of cake) at 105k I had the tie rods change. I have done some little things to keep it looking and operating like new. The car is easy for the "DIY" to work on. This is the finest car I have driven. I'm a car salesman and this is not the brand I sell. It will be the brand I drive from now on. A Car To Be Proud Of!!

Executive Experss
By BrianB on 08/03/05 15:49 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I've had the bimmer for a couple of years now, and it still thrills in the curves, coddles on the highway, and being all black, with tinted windows, with the 17" sport wheels, still turns heads. I perfer the looks of this 5 to the new one, but given that the 3 series started to look very much like the 5 it does make it look like you see it all over the place. Engine reliability has been good, but I've been let down by the little, but expensive things... $400 rear window motor and attachments... Air pump, niggly electrical issues, battery, and ball joints that wearout too quickly for a high end car. But, overall, I buy another one in a minute! And that's the best review anyone can give a car.

Excellent car
By Exelent car on 07/28/05 17:21 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I drive my 2000 BMW 528ia from Los Angeles to Cancun 3 times a year, plus must of my driving is on Mexican highways. The car never breaks down,and is super stable. Averages speeds of 85 to 100 mph on this roads. Few little things are bad in car like condensation in the headlights and wind noise from the windshield, other than that it's a rocket. I had to replace the rear window motors.

Well Maintained, Used the way to go!
By mjack85 on 06/08/05 19:50 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Looks that stand the test of time. Great handling, this car is unbelievable for an 8 year old car. Bought it with 90k with all service records. Previous owner kept meticulous care and seems to have repaired and replaced most trouble spots prior to trading it. I cannot find anything wrong with this car and love driving it.

1 2 3 4 5 next »