1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great car
By Paul the Preacher on 03/31/10 18:02 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used July 2007 with 150,000 miles. I love this car. The previous owner took good care of it. It's like new on the inside. If gas was cheaper I would have a million miles on it. I only have 181,000 mile. It is a joy to drive. I've only had minor issues with it, and they all are covered in other reviews. cup holder, battery dies, tie rod, and alarm system a little crazy. I will purchase at least 2 more.

Been a great car
By Susie on 02/20/10 14:56 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have had my 540 for almost 5 years now. I love the car, fun to drive, fast, reliable. Gas mileage is poor but it is a big V8 under the hood. Have only done routine mileage related repairs that any car would need, only at a much higher cost and we do all our own repairs. Hate to say it has been hit twice and is the only 10+ year old car I know of that was totally covered for a combined 10k of body repairs. My only re-occurring complaint is the need of new tires, alignments more often then most cars, I only put 20k on it in 5 years and I am on my 3rd set of tires. Oh and for winter driving, this car stinks, which is why my next auto, later this year, is the X5!! I do love my 540 though!

Love my 540i
By Sue on 04/21/09 17:30 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Had this car going on years. Bought it with 92k on, have had to do normal maintenance on the car but that's it. This car is fast, but it also stinks on gas, that 18-21 mpg is only possible on highway in perfect conditions. But boy is it fun to drive!! Handles amazing, rides amazing, well you see where I'm going with this!! Going to add an X5 soon, we also have a 318, that's great on gas. I will always drive Bimmers now!!

what a great car
By bobbybuche on 02/25/09 05:57 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I just purchased a 1997 528i yesterday and the car only had 65,000 miles on it. The car is great it feels like I'm riding on rails and the suspension beats the heck out of my old explorer. I have seen a few people talk about wind noise from the front windshield and what you need to do is pull of the weather stripping and lay down a very small bead of silicon and place a small piece of rope on the inside of the groove of the seal when you reinstall the window pull the rope back out al the way around and this will provide the best seal and will eliminate the wind noise I guarantee. Other than that the car is amazing.

Future Classic
By Farhan haque on 11/28/08 14:08 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

it is a well know fact that E39 (97- 02) is among the best BMWs. For its size, it has matchless handling. few cars of this era has heated steering. All controls inside are intuitive. Exterior is matchless and even now it does not look dated, in fact is still a head turner. You hear the bump but you dont feel it, suspension is so good. Compared to its competitors, E class or Lexus GS, it's sportier and should be the choice of a car enthusiast.

Great car
By frick on 08/09/08 13:24 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is my 4th BMW and was purchased with 320,00 km cheap. Car needed struts, control arm, tie rods, rear ball joints, stab links and cvv. After doing all the work this car runs and drives like new. Body had small rust on back trunk lid (repaired) shined back up to almost new condition after 10 Canadian winters. Good value for used car.

Just remarkable
By don on 02/10/08 11:16 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 100k and needed some work like control arms and flex joint. Since then it has been a thrill and pleasure to own this car. It's a manual trans. And this car does not miss a beat, it handles well on curves as well as straight aways and the braking is excellent. Could change these cup holders even though I don't use them I don't have time to because I'm too busy driving the car. It is the step up from my 325i which I thought was a beast but the 540i is one step down from the M5 which is OK. Because I don't need any speeding tickets.

Can't go anywhere with out it
By 540 single gal on 12/24/07 16:18 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Love this car...sold my 911 for something bigger but just as fun to drive. Now in 12/07 with over 120,000 miles (6 years and 90,000 miles later) it still looks and drives great. Stevens Creek, a San Jose dealership takes great care of me and my 540, although parts and labor can get pretty pricey, this dealership does help me out quite often, even out of warrranty. I have kept it garaged and well maintained, has second set of after market wheels and tires, just so I can stand out even more :)

Too early to tell
By jgogan on 12/01/07 12:31 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I just purchased this 540i (my first Bmer) in Sept, 07. The car had been well cared for with 130K. I like this car a lot. Acceleration, ride, styling and amenities are all first rate. The transmission is a 5-speed auto that keeps are RPMs down when cruising. Just developed a transmission leak and the heating comes on when it wants to. Presently waiting to be inspected by my mechanic for cause and cure analysis. I'm hopeful to create a review after 1 year that comes off a little more positive. I still remain positive though; realizing how much I enjoy this car when all is working well. Get back to you in a year.

Poor reliability offsets driving thrills
By Peter on 11/14/07 11:49 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Fast, solid, highly capable car. I thoroughly enjoyed driving it. The 540i adds power but gives up the 528i's nimbleness. The great driving experience was more than offset by poor reliability though - particularly the electronics. I had to take the car in for unexpected repairs about twice a year.