Used 1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great value great running condition
By Jim Mal

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I know a mechanic who worked at BMW 7 years said this model and years were some of the best

Great car
By Paul the Preacher

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used July 2007 with 150,000 miles. I love this car. The previous owner took good care of it. It's like new on the inside. If gas was cheaper I would have a million miles on it. I only have 181,000 mile. It is a joy to drive. I've only had minor issues with it, and they all are covered in other reviews. cup holder, battery dies, tie rod, and alarm system a little crazy. I will purchase at least 2 more.

Safety; 7 airbags. Great quality leather, trim package, handling,

Fix the electrical problems and the cup holders. Lower the price so everyone can afford one.

Been a great car
By Susie

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have had my 540 for almost 5 years now. I love the car, fun to drive, fast, reliable. Gas mileage is poor but it is a big V8 under the hood. Have only done routine mileage related repairs that any car would need, only at a much higher cost and we do all our own repairs. Hate to say it has been hit twice and is the only 10+ year old car I know of that was totally covered for a combined 10k of body repairs. My only re-occurring complaint is the need of new tires, alignments more often then most cars, I only put 20k on it in 5 years and I am on my 3rd set of tires. Oh and for winter driving, this car stinks, which is why my next auto, later this year, is the X5!! I do love my 540 though!

Engine, exterior design, smooth ride, excellent handling at high speeds.(had up to 110 mph and didn't even know it!)

Cup holders are the worst, I have the standard audio system which is terrible and back seat leg room is minimal. Repairs are costly even when your a mechanic.

Love my 540i
By Sue

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Had this car going on years. Bought it with 92k on, have had to do normal maintenance on the car but that's it. This car is fast, but it also stinks on gas, that 18-21 mpg is only possible on highway in perfect conditions. But boy is it fun to drive!! Handles amazing, rides amazing, well you see where I'm going with this!! Going to add an X5 soon, we also have a 318, that's great on gas. I will always drive Bimmers now!!

All of it, just the gas mileage stinks. Driving it is the best!!!

Cup holders totally stink.

what a great car
By bobbybuche

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I just purchased a 1997 528i yesterday and the car only had 65,000 miles on it. The car is great it feels like I'm riding on rails and the suspension beats the heck out of my old explorer. I have seen a few people talk about wind noise from the front windshield and what you need to do is pull of the weather stripping and lay down a very small bead of silicon and place a small piece of rope on the inside of the groove of the seal when you reinstall the window pull the rope back out al the way around and this will provide the best seal and will eliminate the wind noise I guarantee. Other than that the car is amazing.

i just love the seats, my explorer's seats were horrible cold pleather and these are soo much nicer and they actually have adjustable head rests so people over 6 foot if they get rear ended don't get their neck bent over the back of the seat hooray.

None really I love everything about the late 90s bmws they just look great to me and not so much like a spaceship with the new ones.