1997 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Been a great car
By Susie on 02/20/10 14:56 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have had my 540 for almost 5 years now. I love the car, fun to drive, fast, reliable. Gas mileage is poor but it is a big V8 under the hood. Have only done routine mileage related repairs that any car would need, only at a much higher cost and we do all our own repairs. Hate to say it has been hit twice and is the only 10+ year old car I know of that was totally covered for a combined 10k of body repairs. My only re-occurring complaint is the need of new tires, alignments more often then most cars, I only put 20k on it in 5 years and I am on my 3rd set of tires. Oh and for winter driving, this car stinks, which is why my next auto, later this year, is the X5!! I do love my 540 though!

Love my 540i
By Sue on 04/21/09 17:30 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Had this car going on years. Bought it with 92k on, have had to do normal maintenance on the car but that's it. This car is fast, but it also stinks on gas, that 18-21 mpg is only possible on highway in perfect conditions. But boy is it fun to drive!! Handles amazing, rides amazing, well you see where I'm going with this!! Going to add an X5 soon, we also have a 318, that's great on gas. I will always drive Bimmers now!!

Just remarkable
By don on 02/10/08 11:16 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 100k and needed some work like control arms and flex joint. Since then it has been a thrill and pleasure to own this car. It's a manual trans. And this car does not miss a beat, it handles well on curves as well as straight aways and the braking is excellent. Could change these cup holders even though I don't use them I don't have time to because I'm too busy driving the car. It is the step up from my 325i which I thought was a beast but the 540i is one step down from the M5 which is OK. Because I don't need any speeding tickets.

Can't go anywhere with out it
By 540 single gal on 12/24/07 16:18 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Love this car...sold my 911 for something bigger but just as fun to drive. Now in 12/07 with over 120,000 miles (6 years and 90,000 miles later) it still looks and drives great. Stevens Creek, a San Jose dealership takes great care of me and my 540, although parts and labor can get pretty pricey, this dealership does help me out quite often, even out of warrranty. I have kept it garaged and well maintained, has second set of after market wheels and tires, just so I can stand out even more :)

Too early to tell
By jgogan on 12/01/07 12:31 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I just purchased this 540i (my first Bmer) in Sept, 07. The car had been well cared for with 130K. I like this car a lot. Acceleration, ride, styling and amenities are all first rate. The transmission is a 5-speed auto that keeps are RPMs down when cruising. Just developed a transmission leak and the heating comes on when it wants to. Presently waiting to be inspected by my mechanic for cause and cure analysis. I'm hopeful to create a review after 1 year that comes off a little more positive. I still remain positive though; realizing how much I enjoy this car when all is working well. Get back to you in a year.

Poor reliability offsets driving thrills
By Peter on 11/14/07 11:49 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Fast, solid, highly capable car. I thoroughly enjoyed driving it. The 540i adds power but gives up the 528i's nimbleness. The great driving experience was more than offset by poor reliability though - particularly the electronics. I had to take the car in for unexpected repairs about twice a year.

Love this car
By Wilfredo on 09/20/06 13:05 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

My 1997 540i is 163,000 miles-old and it still feels & drives like a brand- new-year-model. With a powerful V8 that's not designed to pull you back into your seat when taking a ride, but instead, gives you the smooth enjoyable feeling which makes you just want to keep driving. At first it all had to do with just experiencing what was to have a BMW, but once I had it, it all changed. I thought I had tried it all, I was very wrong. This is the Ultimate Driving Machine. Quality Interior design & components, powerfull awesome engine,... There are new cars coming out every year (Lexus, Infiniti, etc) and most of them don't even come with the gadgets that came in my BMW 540i 1997 model.

Great Investment
By justducky150 on 09/29/05 13:45 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Great investment... if a used car could be such a thing. This 540i has been stellar in reliability and performance. I bought with 29,000 miles and it started service on the road in August 1996. 80,000 miles later and the car still is turning heads and has tremendous thrust. Parts that had to be purchased: water pump, windshield wiper motor, AC compressor (covered under warranty). Other than that, it has been almost flawless. I started driving it in brutal Western Pennsylvania winters 2 years ago, favoring its reknowned safety cage, and have never had a problem with sliding/skidding. The car is perfectly balanced. Above average cost of investment for excellent long term return.

look out open road
By bigb on 03/31/05 04:13 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Bought it recently and car was well cared for. What a car-like going on vacation every time behind the wheel- just pure pleasure. I know it will eventually cost me but who cares-you can't take it with you. If you have the desire-try one used and you will see what I mean.

Fun to drive!
By PAER on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Initially, I wanted to purchase a 7 series, but discovered that I could get the same V-8 in a 540. Plus! Why pay a few extra thousand dollars to have leg room for people to sit in the back who are not paying your car note! The 1997-2001 5 series look basically the same, so I used the “worst house in the best neighborhood” theory and purchased a 1997 in mid-Jan 2004 with only 52K miles on it. At the 61K mark, the cooling system died and I got that and all belts replaced at an independent BMW shop. I saved some pennies and went from riding a bike to getting this BMW! :-)