Used 1997 BMW 5 Series 540i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Been a great car
By Susie

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have had my 540 for almost 5 years now. I love the car, fun to drive, fast, reliable. Gas mileage is poor but it is a big V8 under the hood. Have only done routine mileage related repairs that any car would need, only at a much higher cost and we do all our own repairs. Hate to say it has been hit twice and is the only 10+ year old car I know of that was totally covered for a combined 10k of body repairs. My only re-occurring complaint is the need of new tires, alignments more often then most cars, I only put 20k on it in 5 years and I am on my 3rd set of tires. Oh and for winter driving, this car stinks, which is why my next auto, later this year, is the X5!! I do love my 540 though!

Favorite Features

Engine, exterior design, smooth ride, excellent handling at high speeds.(had up to 110 mph and didn't even know it!)

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are the worst, I have the standard audio system which is terrible and back seat leg room is minimal. Repairs are costly even when your a mechanic.

Love my 540i
By Sue

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Had this car going on years. Bought it with 92k on, have had to do normal maintenance on the car but that's it. This car is fast, but it also stinks on gas, that 18-21 mpg is only possible on highway in perfect conditions. But boy is it fun to drive!! Handles amazing, rides amazing, well you see where I'm going with this!! Going to add an X5 soon, we also have a 318, that's great on gas. I will always drive Bimmers now!!

Favorite Features

All of it, just the gas mileage stinks. Driving it is the best!!!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders totally stink.

Just remarkable
By don

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 100k and needed some work like control arms and flex joint. Since then it has been a thrill and pleasure to own this car. It's a manual trans. And this car does not miss a beat, it handles well on curves as well as straight aways and the braking is excellent. Could change these cup holders even though I don't use them I don't have time to because I'm too busy driving the car. It is the step up from my 325i which I thought was a beast but the 540i is one step down from the M5 which is OK. Because I don't need any speeding tickets.

Favorite Features

The redesign, the interior, the heated steering wheel the car is a all around fit.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders and they need an in dash cd player, gets pretty cold in n.y. to be outside changing your cds

Can't go anywhere with out it
By 540 single gal

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Love this car...sold my 911 for something bigger but just as fun to drive. Now in 12/07 with over 120,000 miles (6 years and 90,000 miles later) it still looks and drives great. Stevens Creek, a San Jose dealership takes great care of me and my 540, although parts and labor can get pretty pricey, this dealership does help me out quite often, even out of warrranty. I have kept it garaged and well maintained, has second set of after market wheels and tires, just so I can stand out even more :)

Favorite Features

Just plain fun to drive, short trips as much as the long hauls. Those heated seats and heated steering wheel are to die for. Who would have thought that those items would come in so handly on those cold mornings.

Suggested Improvements

Those cheap cup holders... apparently we're not supposed to drink and drive. Better stereo and needs an in dash cd player. I bet I can get better gas mileage if I kept my foot out of it!

Too early to tell
By jgogan

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I just purchased this 540i (my first Bmer) in Sept, 07. The car had been well cared for with 130K. I like this car a lot. Acceleration, ride, styling and amenities are all first rate. The transmission is a 5-speed auto that keeps are RPMs down when cruising. Just developed a transmission leak and the heating comes on when it wants to. Presently waiting to be inspected by my mechanic for cause and cure analysis. I'm hopeful to create a review after 1 year that comes off a little more positive. I still remain positive though; realizing how much I enjoy this car when all is working well. Get back to you in a year.

Favorite Features

Color (Canyon red), tracking, interior fit, trunkspace (huge), engine, soundproofing and seating adjustability and comfort (I'm 6'8").

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders need better engineering. I don't need an automatic mirror on the right side. I feel too blindsided on the driver's side with limited mirror visability. My suggestion would be for less fancy engineering and for more practical ideas; increasing safety in the ultimate driving experience.