Do I need a new mechanic?
By needsanewone on
1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan
After reading all these stellar reviews I'm beginning to wonder if I need a new mechanic. I bought this car used, 6 years ago. It's pushing 200,000 miles, but I hear these cars can last forever. It shudders HARD when I drive between 45-55 mph, drivers side window regulator regularly craps out, belts fall off, has a severe oil leak that can't seem to be fixed, and a coolant light that beeps at me no matter what I do (so I either leave my lights on, because I've grown to ignore the beep, or run the risk of overheating because it cries wolf all the time). Interior display has dimmed to the point of invisibility, and the following parts melted off: hood ornament, side mirror, interior door frame.
Favorite Features
Car came with ridiculous 80s looking car phone, adds to the Miami Vice feel. It's a good looking car inside and out, until things fall off. Lots of trunk space. It's a very heavy car, and feels very safe when it's running well.
Suggested Improvements
Buy a cup holder, and some good glue to fix the crap that's going to fall off (that is, if you don't loose it on the freeway). Get used to the fact that your computer will one day fade away and you'll never know the temperature outside, or how many mpg you're getting. Assume it's very low.