1995 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
A sad day
By livea little on 01/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Sorry to be emotional but....today i traded my 525 i for a new 2003 325i. long story short...the 95 525i was the best car I have ever owned and (sorry to be corny) but I almost cried at the dealership - and felt like a total traitor when I walked away from my eight year love affair with my first BMW. the cars are truly "the ultimate driving machine" the 525i continued to handle and drive like it did eight years ago - firm, agile and taut. a great car. It saved my life when I was rear-ended by a drunk driver who was going over 50 mph. thanks - I will miss you

Fun to Own - Worth the Money
By BMW Owner on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

The car is definitly worth the money, however, have it inspected first to ensure the prior owner took care of it. Yes parts can be expensive, but use the internet for all of the online distributers and your maintainence costs drop dramitically. The engine is incredibly strong throughout the RPM band with torque and horsepower consistently available (especially in sport mode).

Nikasil engine is a killer
By Steven2 on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan

I have this vehicle since it's new. However, it came with a nikasil V8 instead of alusil V8. Gradually the high sulphur of US fuel started to cause problems with the engine. Now it needs engine replacement, $9k plus labor. If you own one with an alusil engine, you should buy a lottery ticket. If you are thinking about getting a used one, you must make sure what type of engine it has. Check the engine block numbers before buying it. It's a very serious problem!

1995 BMW 525i
By rvirk on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This car was lot of fun to drive when it worked. I owned it for nearly 6 years and it broke down quite often. Radiator changed twice, got new shocks/struts at 100k, Battery changed twice, Differtial system replaced, had to replace stereo under warranty, rear lights blew up very often, and so on.

Classy Sport
By tango on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 180,000 kms appeared to be in mint condition and fully serviced. Performance is better than I was led to believe with this car in automatic and the six cyl.. Handing is superb with 17' TSW wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RE730's. Only problem is the lack of a cup holder. Gas mileage is great - motor runs like a sewing machine. Model looks sportier (more aggressive) than current version. No regrets buying this one and will be upgrading with engine and transmission chip and a Dinan High Flow Throttle Body. Considerably more luxurious than my other BMW (84 533i).

excellent car
By strongsafety841 on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for a few months now and I can honestly say I look forward to driving it everytime I drive. I just got some 17" M5 rims, so the car picks up the road a little more, but before when I had the 15" rims, it was the smoothest ride I could have ever imagined. It is also a very quick car , which I think is its best feature. I have had a few problems with the transmission so far, but I beleive that is due to it being 8 years old and is all part of owning a used car. The engine, however, is still running strong and I haven't had any problems with it other than the transmission.

1995 530i
By cjnel on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a friend that has taken great care of it. Very roomy inside. Much better than a 3 series. V8 engine that provides good top end power and has the fuel economy to prove it. A little slow out of the gate though. Maintenance is a real problem. It's hard to get the parts to fix it ourself and the guys down at the shop want too much. I've had a lot of problems with oil leaks and each time I go in to have them fixed, it costs me around $500.

Best Car of 90's
By sehmid on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have always wanted a 95 540i 6 spd manual, and was finally able to afford one. This car is amazing in every mannar. It is by far the best car you can purchase for under 15K, hands down. Extremely reliable, and awesome performance. I am just changing the wheels, and getting a ltd slip diff. Besides that, this car is better than any new 2002 or 2003 below 40K. Save your money, find a 540i 6spd and buy it if you can find it.

Solid, and classy
By Techmaniac on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Who would have known that a four door sedan would handle like a rocket ship. I had a littl 318, and the 5 was a definite step up in life. The power and feeling from the engine are great for any driver who likes to have complete control.

This car made me a wagon lover
By lsbarkley on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

This is my fourth BMW. By far the most practical and useful. Solid yet nimble and smooth. Leather is very thick...mine looks new at 9 years old. Have 145000 with no issues to report. So easy to load/unload the rear with either big rear hatch or just the glass hatch. Roomy with all the fun stuff...even the dual sunroofs are unusual. BMWs to me combine everything you need in a car.