Used 1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 57 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Totally hot!!
By MusicMan

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

My first BMW, and it is flawless! B on B, and so sharp it is incredible! It looks even hotter with my HOT wife sitting in it also! (She made me say that!) lol! WE love it so much already! Used, this is the best value I could ever imagine, not to mention the looks it has! Beauty, performance, luxury, and dependability, what more can you ask? This was well maintained, and I am 3rd owner. Engine is so clean I could easily eat off it, and I am not exaggerating! SPOTLESS inside and out! Exhaust has no odor, and is clean! Engine runs like an electric turbine with no shake or rattle, perfectly still! After reading these reviews, I as well, I have to agree, the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!

Gorgeous Black Paint and Leather interior! Handling is incredible! SEXY! Dependability and features I enjoy as much as everyone else!

Front window switches should be on the doors!

The Best BMW ever Built, Hands down!
By Great Car

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

This is a fantastic, low maintenance machine. A person with reasonable mechanical ability can diagnose and solve some of the problems which are few. I have had 2 e34 BMW and they have exceeded expectation. I had several Mercedes that always needed something ridiculously expensive. Both BMW have been very low maintenance. Stay away from the dealership and use a trusty mechanic and online parts and this car will cost you less than a Honda to keep up. I will always buy BMW.

Reliable engine, strong body, and good engineering.

Like everyone else, cup holders and more room in the back seat area.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Bimmerman4ever

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

Nothing bad can be said for BMWs in my experience. This is my first E34 type. And I love it so far, over 200k miles and still running great. (I like lucky to find a 5 speed and from the original owner). I've owned many E30 325i/e bimmers two over 280k miles and not one burned nor drip a drop of oil. my First BMW was a 85 528e five speed and that was was fun to drive also. The e or Eta type engines seem to last longer than the i engines, Though much less HP add a chip and a different ratio LSD and it makes all the difference. The E30 Type 3 series really sold me on BMW engineering prowess and there dedication superior performance and meticulous design.

OBD, computer controls/displays, interior and stereo although dated with a cassette player is easily overcome by a cassette adapter with input from an Ipod. Handling and acceleration is predictable with no surprises when cornering hard.

added space above the shift console could fit a utility tray or coin holder a cup holder could have been a pop out drawer somewhere, 17" rims would help appearance, and a small low powered sub woofer would improve overall stereo sound Bosch, Alternator bearing dries out and makes whining noise

Will Drive 4-Ever!
By WestKyCrimeInc

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

Purchased a 1995 525i in 2003 at 193K miles! Was skeptical at first with mileage, But 5 yrs later I am sold! This 5 series is bullet proof! I have 228K miles on it and I enjoy it very much. The motor is bullet proof, the transmission is bullet proof, nothing breaks! In 5 yrs only repairs have been fan belt, brake rotors and pads, one radiator (broke at upper hose attachment?), oil changes and trans fluid change - that's it! Wow! I drive in LA and its 75-100 mph on the 405 with no problems. LA to Vegas in 3.5 hours with no oil burn! Impressive for 228K miles. Gas mileage at 65~75 is 23 mpg on the highway. City is 16 mpg no matter how it's driven I will keep car until wheels fall off!!

Bullet proof motor and trans! Very good driver feedback from steering and suspension system! It's never surprised me! The interior, everything is really well designed and located. Excellent human factors design!

Fix the upper radiator connector! Other than this, the E34 2.5L is perfect!

Big Disappointment
By Paul

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

The '95 540i is among the last understated, genuinely beautiful cars from BMW. It is tremendously powerful and the routine maintenance consists of little more than oil changes and brake jobs. The downfall is the transmission. It is a sealed unit with "lifetime" fluid (complete nonsense). It _will_ fail at 100k mi. and cost $5k to replace. The car is worth $4k. My trans has disgorged it's fluid on the driveway fully 4 different times. Each episode requires a limping trip to the shop and a bill of $300. On the road, the car is heavy and ponderous and not in the least bit fun to drive. Brakes have only two modes: off and full lock up. Zero finesse. Big disappointment.

Imperial starship power. Bullet-proof engine. Whisper quiet. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Easy, easy routine maintenance.

Um... better transmission?? Less random electronic stuff to go haywire. Simplified controls (eg: cancel the cruise and it's likely you'll turn on the windshield wipers). More fun to drive.