Used 1995 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Big Disappointment
By Paul

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

The '95 540i is among the last understated, genuinely beautiful cars from BMW. It is tremendously powerful and the routine maintenance consists of little more than oil changes and brake jobs. The downfall is the transmission. It is a sealed unit with "lifetime" fluid (complete nonsense). It _will_ fail at 100k mi. and cost $5k to replace. The car is worth $4k. My trans has disgorged it's fluid on the driveway fully 4 different times. Each episode requires a limping trip to the shop and a bill of $300. On the road, the car is heavy and ponderous and not in the least bit fun to drive. Brakes have only two modes: off and full lock up. Zero finesse. Big disappointment.

Favorite Features

Imperial starship power. Bullet-proof engine. Whisper quiet. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Easy, easy routine maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Um... better transmission?? Less random electronic stuff to go haywire. Simplified controls (eg: cancel the cruise and it's likely you'll turn on the windshield wipers). More fun to drive.

Love the bimmer
By Territory49

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Just bought my first bimmer and I'd have to say it is my favourite car to drive for luxury and comfort. I owned an rx-7 and a suped up, customized 65 karmann ghia both of which had power, but the 540ia now is my prized possession. I love all that it has, except for the maintenence costs. It's a bmw what do you expect though. Anyway for a 95 it is almost as nice as the new ones and a fraction of the cost. I get excited everytime i get in the drivers seat. Definitely has power. Just ask the cars next to me at the lights when I blow their doors off. If you can find a 540ia in good shape for a good price I recommend it. I am a true BMW fan.

Favorite Features

Power and comfort by far.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires, cupholders, rear leg room and metal engine parts instead of plastic. Example (thermostat housing). Plastic tends to crack too easy.

Nikasil engine is a killer
By Steven2

1995 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan

I have this vehicle since it's new. However, it came with a nikasil V8 instead of alusil V8. Gradually the high sulphur of US fuel started to cause problems with the engine. Now it needs engine replacement, $9k plus labor. If you own one with an alusil engine, you should buy a lottery ticket. If you are thinking about getting a used one, you must make sure what type of engine it has. Check the engine block numbers before buying it. It's a very serious problem!

Favorite Features

choice of nikasil and alusil engines.

Suggested Improvements

test the engine with US fuel before shipping it here.

My piece of class
By BimmerE34

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

With all the BMWs in this world, I found myself in a dealer looking into a certified 525ia during a battle with my Jeep. The car is solid and has taken me on many long trips without any failures. On one occasion, my BMW was hit from behind by a commercial van and suffer NO damage other than loosing the cover for the tow hook in the read bumper. The van had heavy grill damage since it went under the back of the BMW. I highly recommend this car to anyone interested in some class without the huge cost normally associated with it.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is the best feature of this car. Everything else such as the interior, sound system and performance is what you would expect from a BMW! I would buy another 525ia if the need ever arises.

Suggested Improvements

Install the Jim C performance chip. I travel at 90-95 MPH on empty highways and still maintain the great 28MPG. Oh, I once had an emergency where I need to get to the hospital FAST! NO power lose at over 110MPH.

1995 BMW 525i
By rvirk

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This car was lot of fun to drive when it worked. I owned it for nearly 6 years and it broke down quite often. Radiator changed twice, got new shocks/struts at 100k, Battery changed twice, Differtial system replaced, had to replace stereo under warranty, rear lights blew up very often, and so on.

Favorite Features

Driver comfort and controls are superb. Handles great.