Used 1995 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

What next?
By Tony

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Bought it with carfax one owner 72k miles. Now 166k eight years later; only major repair new radiator and a/c components. Most important thing is to have a great mechanic whose accurate diagnosis can save you thousands. He warns me higher operating temps of later bmws is main reason for parts failures. Really want a 528 or 530 2001-2003. How many miles can these cars go? Very wary of late model bmws unless on a lease.

Favorite Features

Seats, interior design, exterior looks, build quality, handling.

Suggested Improvements

525 lacks power, (but on a run gets over 30 mpg). Electric windows need frequent repair.

She'll cost you!
By eholmes

1995 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Wagon

I bought one of these private sale last year. What a great ride!. I had never driven a vehicle that tight before. Lots of power and handles like a monorail. Rear-wheel-drive with traction control was fantastic in the snow; I was really surprised. Unfortunately the one I bought was a little beat. Rust on the bottom of the doors, front end parts kept loosening up ($400 each), needed pads and rotors, and tires, leaked oil, seemed to be burning coolant, window controls shot, antenna broken, sun-roof broken - you name it, it was broken. But it was a fun car to drive. So I traded it in towards a newer 528i.

Favorite Features

Handling and feel of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy! But I think BMW has made this improvement on subsequent models.

Keeps on keeping on
By Egg

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Excellent car! Bought it 2 years ago and the car now has 164K on it. No issues - just a belt change and a brake job. Total money spent on the car other than oil: 600. The car was ahead of its times, I think. It's got heated leather seats, speed sensitive windshield wipers, a comprehensive trip computer. Reliability is great, fuel economy is good and the ride is second to none. I love my cruiser!

Favorite Features

The drive, handling and the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Brake light circuit - has a mind of its own, as someone else said.

I LOVE This Car
By BERTE

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Bought Al (Alpine White) in 2002 with over 100,000 on the odo, just turned 196,000. The car is solid, well constructed, and a joy to drive once you get it going. Overall average 21 MPG, 27 MPG on the highway at 80 MPH. Replaced several T-stats, radiator, most all of the suspension parts and bushings. Have had a few issues with power windows and seats. The engine has been bulletproof. The tranny is starting to slip in reverse. I get compliments all the time about how beautiful the car looks. It's a classic! I love the car and will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Classic good looks. Solid build and engineering. Simple controls, just the right amount of electronics. The car was built for those who appreciate a machine that has spirit and wants to be driven hard, not just get from you from point A to point B.

Suggested Improvements

The 525 is a bit under powered. Cup holders should have been incorporated into the design by 1995. Weak radiator and cooling system design.

My New Lover----My 525i.
By RShad

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

After my 2006 Nissan Frontier was totalled my loan was paid off and I made out with 3000 dollars in my pocket. Instead of starting a new car loan I turned to used BMW's. I found a gem in (my new) 525i. Purchased with 188k plus miles for $2950 I stayed optimistic and I was right. This is beautiful and timeless design with excellent handling on any surface. It is unbelieveably smooth and comfortable. Previous owner had recently replaced water pump and radiator so that was out of the way. Only drawback is lack of power for a 6 cylinder but it's not a bother knowing I can corner it at 60mph without hittin the brakes!.. Not to mention the great fuel economy for its size. Find one,buy it, keep it.

Favorite Features

Handling is superb, highway fuel economy, trunk space, arm rests, easy do it yourself maintainance and little fixes, timeless body......timeless.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, more rear legroom, headrest motor malfunctions..easy fix if you research though, brighter headlights, shallow 12volt plug in makes charging cell phone impossible, did I say cup holders? More power would be nice. Noisy condenser fan when a/c is on and youre standing outside to hear it.