1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 4.0L V8 Consumer Reviews

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

540i Sedan (4.0L V8)

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great car for the buck.
By jbimmah on 12/15/11 23:24 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have been in teh BMW family for a few years now and this car has been a lot of fun to drive even as an automatic. For a 17 year old car it can still handle well, even after years of New England weather. My car has started every day in hot, cold, wet, dry and snow filled days with out issue and has never left me stranded, it is a higher maintenance 5 series due to it being the V8. Average extra cost a year would be estimated at around $2000.00, for a typical do it yourself er. I have had the car 11 months now and have bought new suspensions, mounts, brakes, exhaust, and typical other things.

1995 540i BEST BMW CAR EVER!!! no nikasil problem.
By bmw540ifan on 06/23/11 19:25 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I just got my first BMW A 1995 540i with the original engine block Nikasil. Never was replaced. Only has 80k on it. Runs JUST FINE!! I love this car it handles great, wish I could buy another. Great with turns, has POWER... Had the local BMW shop check the engine out and said its still strong and good. The whole Nikasil thing was blown out of the water, some were affected while others were not. I will never go back to a honda again thats for sure. Love this car will and go to the grave with it. SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH...

Germany builds a muscle car
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Simply put the best car you can buy for a few grand. Build quality/ride/handling/braking rivals new cars. Steering is ok, loads up well, good feedback but poor on center and is not as quick as modern cars. V8 with a 6spd manual (proper) gear box is a dream. These things take a good deal of maintenance and repair, simple as that (find me a 16+ year old car that doesnt'!). Parts are reasonable, labor is pricey. Parts availability and technical info is outstanding (old bimmers have a great group of owners!) I like this car a lot but it just isn't the best fit for my needs. I would prefer to sacrifice some of the greatness of an old BMW for a less hassle newer car.

14 Years old and still smokes em'!
By Eric on 09/05/09 13:20 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

What can I say? Fast, luxurious, ergonomic, loads of technology such as OBC (On-Board Computer) that tells you MPG and other stuff, pretty good handling for a sedan, and all around a great car to have. To this day, as soon as people step in the car the first thing they ask is, "what year is this car?" I tell them 1995 and jaws hit the floor. Ample rear space not to mention the ridiculous trunk space. Awesome stock sound system, comfortable leather seat and leather upholstery. Did I mention the V8 power? Haha!

Big Disappointment
By Paul on 01/05/08 14:29 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

The '95 540i is among the last understated, genuinely beautiful cars from BMW. It is tremendously powerful and the routine maintenance consists of little more than oil changes and brake jobs. The downfall is the transmission. It is a sealed unit with "lifetime" fluid (complete nonsense). It _will_ fail at 100k mi. and cost $5k to replace. The car is worth $4k. My trans has disgorged it's fluid on the driveway fully 4 different times. Each episode requires a limping trip to the shop and a bill of $300. On the road, the car is heavy and ponderous and not in the least bit fun to drive. Brakes have only two modes: off and full lock up. Zero finesse. Big disappointment.

1995 BMW 5 Series
By Dream Master on 05/04/07 23:06 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

This car is a mixed bag. It is extremely comfortable in front but cramped in back. It gets fairly poor gas mileage, about 19 mpg in mixed driving. OTOH it is fast even by today's standards; the engine is a joy, and it handles amazingly well for such a big car. The steering is perfect, the brakes are excellent, and the controls are generally within easy reach. One exception is the window controls, which inexplicably take up most of the area between the front seats, where a console should be instead.

Fun and luxury
By jrutledge on 04/21/07 11:12 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I wanted a performance car and a luxury car. I got both from one car with the 540i. With very slight mods it is even better.

Wow
By DrFrank on 07/12/06 17:20 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Purchased a used Dinan 5, 540ia supercharged. I had owned a 1985 735ia before. Interior was very close to the 735. Power and handling was vastly better. 0-60 in under 5 sec and 60-0 makes your stomach turn. Corners are FUN. 90 degree corner at 60 kph and no problem staying in my lane and No tire squeal. Wow, I have driven many sports cars, but this defines sport.

95 540 great car
By jesse on 01/15/06 21:27 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Bought with 75K miles on it, nikasil engine block replaced with alusil at 46K mi.. It has incredible power, comfort and highway cruising ability and is extremely well made. You can't beat the classic BMW four round headlights look that these cars have. The V8s do have some problem areas (radiator, intake manifold gasket leaks, valve cover gaskets that leak with age, etc)but any buyer that does his/her homework and buys a solid car won't regret it.

My Favorite Car Ever - Fell In Love
By Tex-Bear on 01/07/06 16:45 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Bought black with black interior BMW 540 used - 9 years old (nickname Vader). All my previous cars were just tools for traveling. Vader's comfort, solid construction, and performance made me 'fall in love'- feel safe and pampered. Superior quality leather seats and interior. Exterior is classic and elegant. Gets 19 mpg; engine has hp & torque to merge into highway traffic, and maneuver out of danger with ease. Headlights are more like laser beams. No one keeps brights in my eyes if I flash the hi-beams at them! Nikosil engine was replaced by a previous owner. Vader has been reliable daily driver, with only routine maintenance needed, and I travel 100 miles/day. This is one great car.