Used 1995 BMW 5 Series 540i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great car for the buck.
By jbimmah

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have been in teh BMW family for a few years now and this car has been a lot of fun to drive even as an automatic. For a 17 year old car it can still handle well, even after years of New England weather. My car has started every day in hot, cold, wet, dry and snow filled days with out issue and has never left me stranded, it is a higher maintenance 5 series due to it being the V8. Average extra cost a year would be estimated at around $2000.00, for a typical do it yourself er. I have had the car 11 months now and have bought new suspensions, mounts, brakes, exhaust, and typical other things.

Favorite Features

heated seats, lumbar support, On board computer read outs (mpg, mph, temp, estimated mileage on fuel, etc. Comfortable seats, great window views on blind spots, stylish BMW classic look with hand built qualities.

Suggested Improvements

Front end suspension needs replacing every 60k or so, switches constantly stop working, temperamental electrical. Gas guzzler 12/20 mpg. Sluggish take off with automatic.

1995 540i BEST BMW CAR EVER!!! no nikasil problem.
By bmw540ifan

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I just got my first BMW A 1995 540i with the original engine block Nikasil. Never was replaced. Only has 80k on it. Runs JUST FINE!! I love this car it handles great, wish I could buy another. Great with turns, has POWER... Had the local BMW shop check the engine out and said its still strong and good. The whole Nikasil thing was blown out of the water, some were affected while others were not. I will never go back to a honda again thats for sure. Love this car will and go to the grave with it. SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH...

Favorite Features

Everything...

Suggested Improvements

None...

Germany builds a muscle car
By Anonymous

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Simply put the best car you can buy for a few grand. Build quality/ride/handling/braking rivals new cars. Steering is ok, loads up well, good feedback but poor on center and is not as quick as modern cars. V8 with a 6spd manual (proper) gear box is a dream. These things take a good deal of maintenance and repair, simple as that (find me a 16+ year old car that doesnt'!). Parts are reasonable, labor is pricey. Parts availability and technical info is outstanding (old bimmers have a great group of owners!) I like this car a lot but it just isn't the best fit for my needs. I would prefer to sacrifice some of the greatness of an old BMW for a less hassle newer car.

Favorite Features

Perfect ride handling balance, that sweet v8, perfect brakes, classic looks, excellent build quality.

Suggested Improvements

The new cars are sufficiently updated. Know what you're getting into, it's going to need maintenance and repair - $1-3k per year if you are handy with a wrench. Cost is fair, but takes too much of my time.

14 Years old and still smokes em'!
By Eric

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

What can I say? Fast, luxurious, ergonomic, loads of technology such as OBC (On-Board Computer) that tells you MPG and other stuff, pretty good handling for a sedan, and all around a great car to have. To this day, as soon as people step in the car the first thing they ask is, "what year is this car?" I tell them 1995 and jaws hit the floor. Ample rear space not to mention the ridiculous trunk space. Awesome stock sound system, comfortable leather seat and leather upholstery. Did I mention the V8 power? Haha!

Favorite Features

The TECHNOLOGY!!!! It's crazy! Again, did I mention the POWER!?!? The interior is better than some of the newest cars out there right now.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it were a little lighter and maybe a little better handling in tight turns, but what do you expect? It's a sports sedan and no sports coupe. Other than that, I wish it had the 6-speed and was one of the M-Sports!

Big Disappointment
By Paul

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

The '95 540i is among the last understated, genuinely beautiful cars from BMW. It is tremendously powerful and the routine maintenance consists of little more than oil changes and brake jobs. The downfall is the transmission. It is a sealed unit with "lifetime" fluid (complete nonsense). It _will_ fail at 100k mi. and cost $5k to replace. The car is worth $4k. My trans has disgorged it's fluid on the driveway fully 4 different times. Each episode requires a limping trip to the shop and a bill of $300. On the road, the car is heavy and ponderous and not in the least bit fun to drive. Brakes have only two modes: off and full lock up. Zero finesse. Big disappointment.

Favorite Features

Imperial starship power. Bullet-proof engine. Whisper quiet. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Easy, easy routine maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Um... better transmission?? Less random electronic stuff to go haywire. Simplified controls (eg: cancel the cruise and it's likely you'll turn on the windshield wipers). More fun to drive.