1995 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Do I need a new mechanic?
By needsanewone on 09/03/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

After reading all these stellar reviews I'm beginning to wonder if I need a new mechanic. I bought this car used, 6 years ago. It's pushing 200,000 miles, but I hear these cars can last forever. It shudders HARD when I drive between 45-55 mph, drivers side window regulator regularly craps out, belts fall off, has a severe oil leak that can't seem to be fixed, and a coolant light that beeps at me no matter what I do (so I either leave my lights on, because I've grown to ignore the beep, or run the risk of overheating because it cries wolf all the time). Interior display has dimmed to the point of invisibility, and the following parts melted off: hood ornament, side mirror, interior door frame.

Best car I have ever owned
By Jeremy F on 06/16/10 21:12 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I have owned a lot of car ranging from ford probes to blazers and everything in between. but this has got to be the best car i have ever bought with over 236,000 miles on it starts right up and will still cruise at over 140 mph with no problems, by far the best vehicle i have ever bought. and to top it off it was even in a front end collision and still runs like new. anyone looking to get a BMW i highly recommend the 95 5 series best BMWs ever built. again the best car i have ever bought for 1200 dollars still looks like new shiny paint and all.

What next?
By Tony on 05/28/10 13:46 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Bought it with carfax one owner 72k miles. Now 166k eight years later; only major repair new radiator and a/c components. Most important thing is to have a great mechanic whose accurate diagnosis can save you thousands. He warns me higher operating temps of later bmws is main reason for parts failures. Really want a 528 or 530 2001-2003. How many miles can these cars go? Very wary of late model bmws unless on a lease.

Keeps on keeping on
By Egg on 01/25/10 20:32 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Excellent car! Bought it 2 years ago and the car now has 164K on it. No issues - just a belt change and a brake job. Total money spent on the car other than oil: 600. The car was ahead of its times, I think. It's got heated leather seats, speed sensitive windshield wipers, a comprehensive trip computer. Reliability is great, fuel economy is good and the ride is second to none. I love my cruiser!

I LOVE This Car
By BERTE on 10/20/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Bought Al (Alpine White) in 2002 with over 100,000 on the odo, just turned 196,000. The car is solid, well constructed, and a joy to drive once you get it going. Overall average 21 MPG, 27 MPG on the highway at 80 MPH. Replaced several T-stats, radiator, most all of the suspension parts and bushings. Have had a few issues with power windows and seats. The engine has been bulletproof. The tranny is starting to slip in reverse. I get compliments all the time about how beautiful the car looks. It's a classic! I love the car and will drive it until the wheels fall off.

My New Lover----My 525i.
By RShad on 09/26/09 21:45 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

After my 2006 Nissan Frontier was totalled my loan was paid off and I made out with 3000 dollars in my pocket. Instead of starting a new car loan I turned to used BMW's. I found a gem in (my new) 525i. Purchased with 188k plus miles for $2950 I stayed optimistic and I was right. This is beautiful and timeless design with excellent handling on any surface. It is unbelieveably smooth and comfortable. Previous owner had recently replaced water pump and radiator so that was out of the way. Only drawback is lack of power for a 6 cylinder but it's not a bother knowing I can corner it at 60mph without hittin the brakes!.. Not to mention the great fuel economy for its size. Find one,buy it, keep it.

Totally hot!!
By MusicMan on 05/11/09 17:23 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

My first BMW, and it is flawless! B on B, and so sharp it is incredible! It looks even hotter with my HOT wife sitting in it also! (She made me say that!) lol! WE love it so much already! Used, this is the best value I could ever imagine, not to mention the looks it has! Beauty, performance, luxury, and dependability, what more can you ask? This was well maintained, and I am 3rd owner. Engine is so clean I could easily eat off it, and I am not exaggerating! SPOTLESS inside and out! Exhaust has no odor, and is clean! Engine runs like an electric turbine with no shake or rattle, perfectly still! After reading these reviews, I as well, I have to agree, the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!

The Best BMW ever Built, Hands down!
By Great Car on 05/10/09 13:11 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This is a fantastic, low maintenance machine. A person with reasonable mechanical ability can diagnose and solve some of the problems which are few. I have had 2 e34 BMW and they have exceeded expectation. I had several Mercedes that always needed something ridiculously expensive. Both BMW have been very low maintenance. Stay away from the dealership and use a trusty mechanic and online parts and this car will cost you less than a Honda to keep up. I will always buy BMW.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Bimmerman4ever on 04/05/09 16:46 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Nothing bad can be said for BMWs in my experience. This is my first E34 type. And I love it so far, over 200k miles and still running great. (I like lucky to find a 5 speed and from the original owner). I've owned many E30 325i/e bimmers two over 280k miles and not one burned nor drip a drop of oil. my First BMW was a 85 528e five speed and that was was fun to drive also. The e or Eta type engines seem to last longer than the i engines, Though much less HP add a chip and a different ratio LSD and it makes all the difference. The E30 Type 3 series really sold me on BMW engineering prowess and there dedication superior performance and meticulous design.

Will Drive 4-Ever!
By WestKyCrimeInc on 04/05/08 22:10 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Purchased a 1995 525i in 2003 at 193K miles! Was skeptical at first with mileage, But 5 yrs later I am sold! This 5 series is bullet proof! I have 228K miles on it and I enjoy it very much. The motor is bullet proof, the transmission is bullet proof, nothing breaks! In 5 yrs only repairs have been fan belt, brake rotors and pads, one radiator (broke at upper hose attachment?), oil changes and trans fluid change - that's it! Wow! I drive in LA and its 75-100 mph on the 405 with no problems. LA to Vegas in 3.5 hours with no oil burn! Impressive for 228K miles. Gas mileage at 65~75 is 23 mpg on the highway. City is 16 mpg no matter how it's driven I will keep car until wheels fall off!!