Used 1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Performance/cost to own=unbelievable
By Bimmer only driver on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

Bought this "still like new" '94 in '98 with 27,000 miles on it. Have changed oil every 3,000 miles (told this is a waste, however) put on new tires at 40K and have changed every filter on the car. That's it. The car now has 78K miles, drives like new and costs nothing to own. Bought a new Jeep Cherokee as a family ride in 2000 instead of an X5. Don't make that mistake sports fans

Fun, quality, and styling at a price
By S90 on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

This car has "soul" and loves to be driven. It is rock solid and handles beautifully, but at 75k mi., you are going to have to pay for the fun: a new radiator, thermostat housing, hoses and water pump, power steering hoses suspension bushings, struts, valve cover gaskets, drive belt, etc. Once you pay for all this, the car is like new again and you just keep driving it and enjoying it. If you don't want to pay for maintenance, get a Japanese sedan. If you want to enjoy the drive to the office, get the 5er. Drive them back to back and you will understand. Also, be aware that the early V-8 motors (530i and 540i) had issues. Avoid them.

What a ride
By fasr on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

One of the nicest cars I've had the pleasure of driving. Great build quality, classic looks, outstanding performance. Not a cop magnet, but a lot of fun to drive around. I hope to have my 540i for a long long time.

540 - good choice!
By BahnBrenner on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I've had my '94 540i a little over a year now. Its a pleasure to drive any and every time I take it out. The 4.0 liter engine with 285 hp is one of BMW's best - no doubt. And despite being a v-8 machine, I average 19.5 miles to the gallon. The computer controlled 5-speed automatic transmission does an excellent job determining how you want the car to shift. (My biggest problem has however also been the transmission, failing at only 102K miles. The rebuild cost $2600.) I have never had any other major problems. The car is fast, handles superbly, stops on a dime, looks good, and is practical.

Excellent Car
By on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I got it with 89,000 miles on it. Transmission shifts like butter and it has a very quiet engine (and I thot the Honda I owned previously was quiet). I took it to a BMW dealership for a 120 point check up and all they had to do was add some freon to the a/c. Looks great for its age. Definitely a head turner

Think Twice Before Buying 540i
By disappointed2 on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I've been through 3 engines ($6,000 per), two transmissions ($3,000 per), 3 driveshafts ($1,500 per), and 2 alarm modules ($800 per). That should speak for the car and the dealership experience is no better. They like to replace things instead of repairing things, parts are terribly expensive, and overall service is a joke. If you want a BWM, buy a new one or a slightly used one, especially not any 5-series. 3-series may be okay. Good luck with your Big Money Waste!!

Excellent Car - Bullet-proof
By Ruze on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

This car has been very reliable for many, many years. I am right now in the market for a 540i because I'd like something more powerful. But it has been more than adequate for commuting and can handle high speeds with ease. It is also as comfortable and feels like a new car inside (no sagging seats at all).

BMW
By CHEF on 07/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

great driving car, love the handling and the comfort, not spacious enough, needs more leg room

Walter BMW Review 2002
By Walter Dunson on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

This is a fun vehicle to drive. It appears to be very strong and durable. I really enjoy driving this car.