1994 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
1 of the best
By kingsteinway on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

the 540i is one of the best, if not the best 4 door sedans ever built. I have owned over 25 cars since I turned 17 and its not an accident that my last 4 have been BMW 5 series.

PRESTIGE DOES NOT A CAR MAKE!
By IGEG on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I HAVE A 94 540 AND 97 328.THE TRANS AND DOOR RUBBER HAVE FAILED ON BOTH MAINTENANCE IS INCREDIBLY HIGH ON BOTH AND IT SEEMS THEY BOTH NEED IT OFTEN I DON'T SPARE EXPENSE TO KEEP THEM RUNNING YET I AM GETTING TIRED OF THE $ HOWEVER THEY ARE BOTH FUUUUN TO RUN AND STILL TURN HEADS

Performance/cost to own=unbelievable
By Bimmer only driver on 12/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Bought this "still like new" '94 in '98 with 27,000 miles on it. Have changed oil every 3,000 miles (told this is a waste, however) put on new tires at 40K and have changed every filter on the car. That's it. The car now has 78K miles, drives like new and costs nothing to own. Bought a new Jeep Cherokee as a family ride in 2000 instead of an X5. Don't make that mistake sports fans

Fun, quality, and styling at a price
By S90 on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan

This car has "soul" and loves to be driven. It is rock solid and handles beautifully, but at 75k mi., you are going to have to pay for the fun: a new radiator, thermostat housing, hoses and water pump, power steering hoses suspension bushings, struts, valve cover gaskets, drive belt, etc. Once you pay for all this, the car is like new again and you just keep driving it and enjoying it. If you don't want to pay for maintenance, get a Japanese sedan. If you want to enjoy the drive to the office, get the 5er. Drive them back to back and you will understand. Also, be aware that the early V-8 motors (530i and 540i) had issues. Avoid them.

What a ride
By fasr on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

One of the nicest cars I've had the pleasure of driving. Great build quality, classic looks, outstanding performance. Not a cop magnet, but a lot of fun to drive around. I hope to have my 540i for a long long time.

540 - good choice!
By BahnBrenner on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I've had my '94 540i a little over a year now. Its a pleasure to drive any and every time I take it out. The 4.0 liter engine with 285 hp is one of BMW's best - no doubt. And despite being a v-8 machine, I average 19.5 miles to the gallon. The computer controlled 5-speed automatic transmission does an excellent job determining how you want the car to shift. (My biggest problem has however also been the transmission, failing at only 102K miles. The rebuild cost $2600.) I have never had any other major problems. The car is fast, handles superbly, stops on a dime, looks good, and is practical.

Pure Excellence
By John Doe III on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

I have owned this Beemer for almost 5yrs It has taken me to a level never dreamed of with 40 other cars, trucks. It is more like my airplane construction quality. Solid ride, no expense except maintainence to 116000 mi. 29 mpg Hy all day on PLUS. Paid $19k in '98 w/36k mi...can't find another "deal".

Excellent Car
By on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I got it with 89,000 miles on it. Transmission shifts like butter and it has a very quiet engine (and I thot the Honda I owned previously was quiet). I took it to a BMW dealership for a 120 point check up and all they had to do was add some freon to the a/c. Looks great for its age. Definitely a head turner

Think Twice Before Buying 540i
By disappointed2 on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I've been through 3 engines ($6,000 per), two transmissions ($3,000 per), 3 driveshafts ($1,500 per), and 2 alarm modules ($800 per). That should speak for the car and the dealership experience is no better. They like to replace things instead of repairing things, parts are terribly expensive, and overall service is a joke. If you want a BWM, buy a new one or a slightly used one, especially not any 5-series. 3-series may be okay. Good luck with your Big Money Waste!!

Got lucky
By SrfngFn on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

I had been keeping my eyes open for an import station wagon, and happened across this beautiful car. I absolutely love it--by far the best driving car I have ever owned and the styling is classic -- people usually think this car is newer than '94, and it has almost 150,000 miles on it! A couple of things to watch out for in buying a used one: check to make sure the transmission has been rebuilt or replaced--there are apparently a lot of problems with this particular model. You also may need to invest in new control arms in the front end if they haven't been replaced already -- the bushings apparently get worn.