1994 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Love it!!
By Looteye on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I've owned mine for 7 years, live in Germany where it can stretch it legs which it does VERY WELL. I have the 6- spd manual trans, love using all those gears and moving along at 130mph. Averages 24.5mpg. It has 340,000km (212,500 miles), not a problem with any serious mechanical part of the car, and I'm surprised to read about engine/transmission changes from those who have had these problems. Mine runs as good as the day I bought it 7 years ago, and it still does 157mph. I can't imagine selling it for any reason, workabee buds are forever trying to get me to sell it to them. Not a chance....

Awesome Value
By KPitser on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This was my first BMW after many Honda's. Beside my sport bike, this is one of my lifes few 'true' pleasures. Of course there are times when little piddly stuff breaks, but there are great web sites maintained by many loving fanatics like myself that help you navigate past the 'stealer'. I love the fact that I can put my kids in the back seat but when I am alone can roll her up to 110 mph and feel nothing but confidence (unless observed by Hwy Patrol).

The 1994 530i V-8 Auto..In Alpine White
By DixonMillerRN on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan

I inherited my 1994 530i V-8 when mom upgraded. Sheepskins on the seats REALLY preserve the leather. No visible rust save on door edges where 1-2 mm. spots peek through. The car drives quite well and you have to remind yourself that it is actually 10 years old. The road "feel" is GERMAN solid. It shines in handling, avoiding accidents opposed to merely surviving one, & surprise stops/lane changes. It'll bring you home alive no matter how bad the road conditions/other drivers may be. This car is a classic of understatement and abhors the idea of being 'pimped out'.MAINTENANCE is key.Overall, this car may not "rock" but it is rock solid.

Yea!!! it was worth it.
By instep99 on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

At 147,000 miles, I'm still thrilled. This is my second 5-series. I got 110,000 miles on a 1986 528i when I began having problems with the (auto) transmission. This one is a 5-speed and I'm hoping to get 200,000 just on g.p., although this Bimmer is now only used for "recreational" driving.

Good Solid Performer
By jtwizard on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for about 25,000 miles. It now has over 173,000 on the clock. Overall it is certainly above average. The exterior look is attractive and timeless. The car is well thought out and most services are easy to do (except the pollen filter). I personally went through the entire car when I purchased it, so I could trust it. It has proven to be very reliable. I have an automatic transmission and would trade it for a stick shift in a second because I prefer a stick.

94 BMW 530i
By stc on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan

This car is the perfect size. Has been extremely reliable. 17MPG city, 27 MPG highway. No major problems at all.

I LOVE MY CAR
By BMWfan2216 on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Got this car for my 16th birthday and have been driving it ever since the day I got it! I had to get used to the stick~stalled out a few times, but my car is SO forgiving! No problems so far, and I don't think I will have any in the future. I highly recommend any kind of BMW, since I have been in every single model.

BMW E34 530i
By E34-E39-E36 on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2000 with 107K for my wife. Things show up due to age, but the engine is bulletproof, transmission is silky. 2 years later I bought myself a '98 528i, then my cousin leased a brand new 2002 X5i. Then my sister-in-law got herself a '97 328is. Handling on all of the them unreal - I avoided an animal on a highway at 75MPH once, then I spun the 530 going at about 70MPH, trying to avoid an obstacle on the road without flipping the car on its roof. As I was told, anything other than a BMW (and some other high level brands) would have flipped in the air. Those two incidents made me a fan.

greatest 6 cylinder wagon ever made
By wcpink on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Wagon

After exhaustive research,I bought my used 1994 silver wagon with over 35,000 miles on it from the BMW dealership with warranty still in effect since this model and 740 shared the same engine block which had a defect.BMW changed all the engine blocks on the 740s and 530s for those manufactured between 94-97. Great looks inside and out, leather interior beautiful wood, power windows, fold down second row, sunroof opens over the front passengers or second row, and cargo net in the back. This car drives beautifully, never had any serious repairs. This car now has over 95,000 miles and I still love it.

BMWs are built to last
By Mr BMW on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for over 4 years now. I bought it used in July 1998 and have had no trouble with it whatsover. It rides like a beauty. When I got it it had 44k miles. It now has 122k miles and it still has the same punch and ride as it did 80k miles back. The only drawbacks are the somewhat cramped backseat leg room. The trunk is very spacious. I have my golf clubs and a cricket kit bag in there all the time and I still have room to fit in stuff. The on-board computer is very helpful.