1994 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
The best of the best
By jperry525 on 09/04/07 22:12 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchase my 525i last October and it was the best decision I ever made. I had the transmission rebuilt, to ensure the reliability of purschasing a used car. I hadn't had any problem with the car. My car is in mint condition, nice paint job and the interior is flawless. I enjoy driving it and in the near future hope to have M5 upgrades done to it.

Great car, fast, fun, reliable
By A Meltzer on 07/18/07 18:48 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This was my first BMW and I love it. I spent 3 months/12 test drives before I found it. I got the 5-speed manual, vinyl seats (still look brand new), and no traction control. So despite the smaller engine, it's a sporty ride. Nothing mechanical has ever broken. I just replaced the clutch at 125k, and the synchros on the tranny are starting to wear, but that's it. I would highly recommend this car to anyone, just make sure it is in excellent condition. Try to find a 1995 model - they're the best. The 5-speed is rare but well worth the extra time finding one. Everyone that gets in this car compliments it. The paint still looks new. My dad has always had a Volvo, but now wants a 5er.

Love my 525i
By bimmerguy on 01/22/07 18:26 PM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 525i ~3 yrs. ago with 75000 miles on it. I currently have 138000 miles on it and its running strong. I love it so much that I plan to keep it to keep the miles down on the 1999 bmw 528i that I just purchased on eBay. It only has 31,000 miles and is like a time warp...showroom new. I only paid $7600.00 for the 1994 model and haven't had a payment for 3 yrs. Only routine maintenance except water pump at 105000 miles. Still a good looker despite the harsh coal country driving conditions here in SW Virginia. I still get excited when my foot hits the gas and the inline 6 just keeps pulling...90, 100, 110, 120, 128 before I finally pulled back on the reins. WOW!!

Used 540 a great deal!
By Pixcutter on 01/17/06 10:16 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1994 BMW 540i 6/2005. The car is rock solid, with no rattles or noises. Seat comfort is very good, ride quality, while dependent on tires, is excellent. Maintenance can be expensive, but not often. Average MPG is about 19.5, not bad for 282 hp. The car accelerates like a rocket, and the brakes are superb. With over 100K miles on the odometer, it's a great car. Records from the previous owner do show a transmission rebuild at 60K miles which cost $4800.00 But since then only minor repairs. The paint has held up well, and the leather interior is in excellent condition, showing no wear to speak of. The only replacement was the factory radio to gain MP3 playback.

Awesome Wagon
By moogplayer on 01/15/06 00:03 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

After loads of research, I narrowed the field to a 94 or 95 BMW 525it. Found a white '94 525it from a 2nd owner private party with 117K and newer transmission with receipts and warranty (for 2 1/2 more years or 30K more miles). Bought it for about $6K. This thing is SOLID. I went from an Altima to this. Talk about enormous difference in all aspects of build quality, performance, handling, braking, everything. I have 2 small kids and feel very safe driving this fairly heavy wagon around. I think this series looks better tan the new wagons. And the 2.5L V6 is bulletproof - tried and true. I've done some preventive maintenance but other than that this thing has been problem-free since I got it.

Outstanding
By sergio on 09/24/05 18:09 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I love this car and all the features especially the electronic seats and computer system

Fun so far
By tkorion on 08/21/05 01:43 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Just bought the car. body is straight and engine is clean. tranny was replaced so I hope this car will last me a few years. I'd like to get 100k, but only time will tell. I love the power and handling. engine has a rattle, but I've never owned one so not sure if it's normal.

Still Owns the Road!
By JBoff on 07/19/05 21:05 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car four years ago and I have not had any major problems with it. The car was cared for very well. Maintenance is the most important part of owning this car. It is not a real car unless you have to take care of it. This is a car that I will have as long as possible. I would not trade it for anything (maybe an M5). This car has a timeless design and I still get compliments on what a good looking and beautiful car it is. I think the AC Schnitzer wheels really improved the appearance. I love the handling and the very very quick and secure response . The car will stop on a dime, has been very useful a couple of times. Living in CO the snow is not a problem with this car.

Excellent Sedan
By Kenneyu on 04/20/05 10:37 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the 530i from a private party used with 117k miles on it. It was well maintained and has exceeded all expectations I had for this car. Just a fantastic 3.0 eight cylinder engine. Great ride and gets 20 plus mpg.

Love it!
By RogerK on 08/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I highly recommend this car, I have owned since day one. No problems, did the regular maintenance, still drives like a dream. Smooth but yet the performance is still there.