Used 1994 BMW 5 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Awesome Wagon
By moogplayer

1994 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Wagon

After loads of research, I narrowed the field to a 94 or 95 BMW 525it. Found a white '94 525it from a 2nd owner private party with 117K and newer transmission with receipts and warranty (for 2 1/2 more years or 30K more miles). Bought it for about $6K. This thing is SOLID. I went from an Altima to this. Talk about enormous difference in all aspects of build quality, performance, handling, braking, everything. I have 2 small kids and feel very safe driving this fairly heavy wagon around. I think this series looks better tan the new wagons. And the 2.5L V6 is bulletproof - tried and true. I've done some preventive maintenance but other than that this thing has been problem-free since I got it.

Favorite Features

Styling, ride, safety, leather, status

Suggested Improvements

Radio is pretty wimpy but I'm not complaining since it has a 6-disc changer in the back. Be prepared to spend a little $$$ for upkeep and PM. I expect 8-10 years faithful service from this vehicle.

greatest 6 cylinder wagon ever made
By wcpink

1994 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530i 4dr Wagon

After exhaustive research,I bought my used 1994 silver wagon with over 35,000 miles on it from the BMW dealership with warranty still in effect since this model and 740 shared the same engine block which had a defect.BMW changed all the engine blocks on the 740s and 530s for those manufactured between 94-97. Great looks inside and out, leather interior beautiful wood, power windows, fold down second row, sunroof opens over the front passengers or second row, and cargo net in the back. This car drives beautifully, never had any serious repairs. This car now has over 95,000 miles and I still love it.

Favorite Features

comfortable ride with power that can fit a lot of stuff when you need it

Suggested Improvements

I wish the new BMW wagons were bigger with a third row and maybe even a V8 would be fun!

Pure Excellence
By John Doe III

1994 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Wagon

I have owned this Beemer for almost 5yrs It has taken me to a level never dreamed of with 40 other cars, trucks. It is more like my airplane construction quality. Solid ride, no expense except maintainence to 116000 mi. 29 mpg Hy all day on PLUS. Paid $19k in '98 w/36k mi...can't find another "deal".

Favorite Features

Starts to -30F, no repairs, breakdowns; incredible manners everywhere... 190hp explodes during passing...good accel'n. in 3d gear. Interior is Lear Jet quality.

Suggested Improvements

can't!!!

Got lucky
By SrfngFn

1994 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Wagon

I had been keeping my eyes open for an import station wagon, and happened across this beautiful car. I absolutely love it--by far the best driving car I have ever owned and the styling is classic -- people usually think this car is newer than '94, and it has almost 150,000 miles on it! A couple of things to watch out for in buying a used one: check to make sure the transmission has been rebuilt or replaced--there are apparently a lot of problems with this particular model. You also may need to invest in new control arms in the front end if they haven't been replaced already -- the bushings apparently get worn.

Favorite Features

Great steering and ride, supercomfortable Seats, Sunroof, additional space (from wagon), comfort and stability at high speeds

Suggested Improvements

If you are a jack rabbit starter, you better get a 535 or 540. This is a heavy car, and takes a little time to get rolling with just the 2.5L engine. Smooth as butter though, and it does accelerate well for passing etc. once you're moving