1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
540i reliability
By john717 on 01/09/14 03:12 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have owned this one for 8 years. Brought it because it had already had the transmission rebuilt and new radiator at 281ks. I have since done a PCV valve, fuel pump, water pump, 1 x shock , a set of brake pads. and 2 x batteries. Done the work myself, found pretty good to work on. Has now clocked 375ks and has to be the best car Ive ever owned. Never had any door handles or window poblems, a very solid and reliable car. Motor runs sweet as with no lifter noises or rattles, and no oil leaks. Transmission faultless. Plus its a great car to drive, very comfortable and fun.

Almost perfect
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 01/20/10 22:07 PM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 540i for about 6 years now. What a blast to drive - I actually prefer driving my 540i over my 911. The power is great, suspension very precise and brakes rock solid. The interior is awesome (great leather). This is my favorite 5 series body style. My 540i looks fast standing still. Gas mileage is about 18-19 combined. The problems cause me to selectively drive my 540i. The transmission is acting up again. I had the valve body rebuilt and everything was good. Then the transmission light came on and it goes in limp home mode. The radiator, fan, fan clutch, water pump have been replaced. Ditto for numerous seals and gaskets. Power steering fluid res. cracked.

Great road car
By Nice Drive on 06/20/08 21:59 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

BMW does a great job with their suspension. Road feel is superb. Goes around corners fast and flat. Classic styling still looks great. Has all the nice features you expect in a car of this class. The 4.0 V-8 has a lot of power, but can cruise on city streets at 35 mph or on the freeway at 65 mph (if you can restrain yourself). When I drive my 540i, I feel like I'm treating myself to a nice car. The V-8 does drink premium, so be careful with your right foot. Also, make sure you have plenty of $$ for all the maintenance and repairs these cars need. I feel it's worth the extra money to be able to drive such a fine sport sedan.

Great old car
By Nick on 03/26/08 15:52 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with over 200k on it, and have driven it almost 20k since. A few minor problems, nothing major but the car is 14 years old. Car is powerful, A/C is ice cold, and the trip computer is accurate. Lots of technology in this car.

Used 540 a great deal!
By Pixcutter on 01/17/06 10:16 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1994 BMW 540i 6/2005. The car is rock solid, with no rattles or noises. Seat comfort is very good, ride quality, while dependent on tires, is excellent. Maintenance can be expensive, but not often. Average MPG is about 19.5, not bad for 282 hp. The car accelerates like a rocket, and the brakes are superb. With over 100K miles on the odometer, it's a great car. Records from the previous owner do show a transmission rebuild at 60K miles which cost $4800.00 But since then only minor repairs. The paint has held up well, and the leather interior is in excellent condition, showing no wear to speak of. The only replacement was the factory radio to gain MP3 playback.

Outstanding
By sergio on 09/24/05 18:09 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I love this car and all the features especially the electronic seats and computer system

Fun so far
By tkorion on 08/21/05 01:43 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Just bought the car. body is straight and engine is clean. tranny was replaced so I hope this car will last me a few years. I'd like to get 100k, but only time will tell. I love the power and handling. engine has a rattle, but I've never owned one so not sure if it's normal.

Love it!!
By Looteye on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I've owned mine for 7 years, live in Germany where it can stretch it legs which it does VERY WELL. I have the 6- spd manual trans, love using all those gears and moving along at 130mph. Averages 24.5mpg. It has 340,000km (212,500 miles), not a problem with any serious mechanical part of the car, and I'm surprised to read about engine/transmission changes from those who have had these problems. Mine runs as good as the day I bought it 7 years ago, and it still does 157mph. I can't imagine selling it for any reason, workabee buds are forever trying to get me to sell it to them. Not a chance....

Awesome Value
By KPitser on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

This was my first BMW after many Honda's. Beside my sport bike, this is one of my lifes few 'true' pleasures. Of course there are times when little piddly stuff breaks, but there are great web sites maintained by many loving fanatics like myself that help you navigate past the 'stealer'. I love the fact that I can put my kids in the back seat but when I am alone can roll her up to 110 mph and feel nothing but confidence (unless observed by Hwy Patrol).

1 of the best
By kingsteinway on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

the 540i is one of the best, if not the best 4 door sedans ever built. I have owned over 25 cars since I turned 17 and its not an accident that my last 4 have been BMW 5 series.