Used 1994 BMW 5 Series 540i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

540i reliability
By john717

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have owned this one for 8 years. Brought it because it had already had the transmission rebuilt and new radiator at 281ks. I have since done a PCV valve, fuel pump, water pump, 1 x shock , a set of brake pads. and 2 x batteries. Done the work myself, found pretty good to work on. Has now clocked 375ks and has to be the best car Ive ever owned. Never had any door handles or window poblems, a very solid and reliable car. Motor runs sweet as with no lifter noises or rattles, and no oil leaks. Transmission faultless. Plus its a great car to drive, very comfortable and fun.

power, sound, solid, great cornering and brakes and powerful stereo. Great feel good factor. Ive owned alot of V8s over my 69 years. This the smallest one capacity wise, yet the fastest and most economical. about 26MPH. on trips. They develope alot of power in the higher revs to put a smile on your dial.

Cup holders, but not E39 ones and cruise control.

Almost perfect
By DIC_CAMARILLO

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 540i for about 6 years now. What a blast to drive - I actually prefer driving my 540i over my 911. The power is great, suspension very precise and brakes rock solid. The interior is awesome (great leather). This is my favorite 5 series body style. My 540i looks fast standing still. Gas mileage is about 18-19 combined. The problems cause me to selectively drive my 540i. The transmission is acting up again. I had the valve body rebuilt and everything was good. Then the transmission light came on and it goes in limp home mode. The radiator, fan, fan clutch, water pump have been replaced. Ditto for numerous seals and gaskets. Power steering fluid res. cracked.

Power band is wonderful. Rock solid feel at speed. Great steering feedback. Brakes are so strong. Performance far exceeds my expectations. Body is masculine, but it doesn't scream at you. Interior is great - lots of very nice, high quality materials were used. Corners very flat for a big car.

Transmission stinks! Too many maintenance issues. Leaks all over the place. Suspension maybe a little stiff for daily driving. Did I mention the horrible transmission problems!

Great road car
By Nice Drive

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

BMW does a great job with their suspension. Road feel is superb. Goes around corners fast and flat. Classic styling still looks great. Has all the nice features you expect in a car of this class. The 4.0 V-8 has a lot of power, but can cruise on city streets at 35 mph or on the freeway at 65 mph (if you can restrain yourself). When I drive my 540i, I feel like I'm treating myself to a nice car. The V-8 does drink premium, so be careful with your right foot. Also, make sure you have plenty of $$ for all the maintenance and repairs these cars need. I feel it's worth the extra money to be able to drive such a fine sport sedan.

Handling, steering and performance are world class. The interior is very nice - you can feel the German influence, but it has a nice luxury feel also. I upgraded the stereo and it's fantastic! Car looks great - looks fast while sitting still.

The transmission has a major issue with the valve body. Also, the nikasil block problem gives BMW a big black eye. I've had to replace quite a few parts and the normal maintenance is very expensive - either pay now or pay more later!

Great old car
By Nick

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with over 200k on it, and have driven it almost 20k since. A few minor problems, nothing major but the car is 14 years old. Car is powerful, A/C is ice cold, and the trip computer is accurate. Lots of technology in this car.

Power.

Better aftermarket parts support.

Used 540 a great deal!
By Pixcutter

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1994 BMW 540i 6/2005. The car is rock solid, with no rattles or noises. Seat comfort is very good, ride quality, while dependent on tires, is excellent. Maintenance can be expensive, but not often. Average MPG is about 19.5, not bad for 282 hp. The car accelerates like a rocket, and the brakes are superb. With over 100K miles on the odometer, it's a great car. Records from the previous owner do show a transmission rebuild at 60K miles which cost $4800.00 But since then only minor repairs. The paint has held up well, and the leather interior is in excellent condition, showing no wear to speak of. The only replacement was the factory radio to gain MP3 playback.