1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Mixed feelings
By tnnative on 03/01/09 21:59 PM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

After 2 plus years of ownership this has been a car I still love to drive. However, the cooling system has been a series of expensive repairs... Radiator, oil radiator, thermostat, water pump, head gasket, hoses. Otherwise a reliable car other than normal issues they all seem to have (upper door trim comes loose, easily diy fixed). I've researched these tremendously, and the 3.0 liter v-8 seems to need many parts replaced between 100-130k miles. My BMW mechanic informed me of this, however, so there were no surprises. A great highway car, very quiet up to 80 mph. Good a/c (replace the filters, makes a huge difference if they haven't been maintained).

Still Owns the Road!
By JBoff on 07/19/05 21:05 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car four years ago and I have not had any major problems with it. The car was cared for very well. Maintenance is the most important part of owning this car. It is not a real car unless you have to take care of it. This is a car that I will have as long as possible. I would not trade it for anything (maybe an M5). This car has a timeless design and I still get compliments on what a good looking and beautiful car it is. I think the AC Schnitzer wheels really improved the appearance. I love the handling and the very very quick and secure response . The car will stop on a dime, has been very useful a couple of times. Living in CO the snow is not a problem with this car.

Excellent Sedan
By Kenneyu on 04/20/05 10:37 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the 530i from a private party used with 117k miles on it. It was well maintained and has exceeded all expectations I had for this car. Just a fantastic 3.0 eight cylinder engine. Great ride and gets 20 plus mpg.

The 1994 530i V-8 Auto..In Alpine White
By DixonMillerRN on 03/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

I inherited my 1994 530i V-8 when mom upgraded. Sheepskins on the seats REALLY preserve the leather. No visible rust save on door edges where 1-2 mm. spots peek through. The car drives quite well and you have to remind yourself that it is actually 10 years old. The road "feel" is GERMAN solid. It shines in handling, avoiding accidents opposed to merely surviving one, & surprise stops/lane changes. It'll bring you home alive no matter how bad the road conditions/other drivers may be. This car is a classic of understatement and abhors the idea of being 'pimped out'.MAINTENANCE is key.Overall, this car may not "rock" but it is rock solid.

94 BMW 530i
By stc on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

This car is the perfect size. Has been extremely reliable. 17MPG city, 27 MPG highway. No major problems at all.

BMW E34 530i
By E34-E39-E36 on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2000 with 107K for my wife. Things show up due to age, but the engine is bulletproof, transmission is silky. 2 years later I bought myself a '98 528i, then my cousin leased a brand new 2002 X5i. Then my sister-in-law got herself a '97 328is. Handling on all of the them unreal - I avoided an animal on a highway at 75MPH once, then I spun the 530 going at about 70MPH, trying to avoid an obstacle on the road without flipping the car on its roof. As I was told, anything other than a BMW (and some other high level brands) would have flipped in the air. Those two incidents made me a fan.

Fun, quality, and styling at a price
By S90 on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

This car has "soul" and loves to be driven. It is rock solid and handles beautifully, but at 75k mi., you are going to have to pay for the fun: a new radiator, thermostat housing, hoses and water pump, power steering hoses suspension bushings, struts, valve cover gaskets, drive belt, etc. Once you pay for all this, the car is like new again and you just keep driving it and enjoying it. If you don't want to pay for maintenance, get a Japanese sedan. If you want to enjoy the drive to the office, get the 5er. Drive them back to back and you will understand. Also, be aware that the early V-8 motors (530i and 540i) had issues. Avoid them.

Walter BMW Review 2002
By Walter Dunson on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

This is a fun vehicle to drive. It appears to be very strong and durable. I really enjoy driving this car.