Used 1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

540i reliability
By john717

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have owned this one for 8 years. Brought it because it had already had the transmission rebuilt and new radiator at 281ks. I have since done a PCV valve, fuel pump, water pump, 1 x shock , a set of brake pads. and 2 x batteries. Done the work myself, found pretty good to work on. Has now clocked 375ks and has to be the best car Ive ever owned. Never had any door handles or window poblems, a very solid and reliable car. Motor runs sweet as with no lifter noises or rattles, and no oil leaks. Transmission faultless. Plus its a great car to drive, very comfortable and fun.

power, sound, solid, great cornering and brakes and powerful stereo. Great feel good factor. Ive owned alot of V8s over my 69 years. This the smallest one capacity wise, yet the fastest and most economical. about 26MPH. on trips. They develope alot of power in the higher revs to put a smile on your dial.

Cup holders, but not E39 ones and cruise control.

Great Used Car
By bimmerdev

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car recently for $1400 with 184,00 miles on it. I was looking for something with decent gas mileage under $2k. I researched theses older BMW's. The engine reliability and overall quality were praised heavily. I have not been dissapointed! I look forward to driving it every day. I can see why BMW has earned a great reputation over the years. Styling is still appealing on the car and it has been extremely reliable with only normal wear items needing replacing. Fun to drive. My goal was to get a year max out of it. After 4 months, I am now thinking of seriously keeping it for as long as possible. It has been worth every penny and averages 27 mpg at 50/50 hwy vs city.

Fun to drive, handles great, ergonomics, seats are very supportive, great classic looking BMW styling.

None. BMW got it right with the E34.

Peace of mind
By piece of mind

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I love my 5 series its the best car I've had in years. Comfort and drive ability are awesome, I just lowered it for better handling because man I love cruising it, only minor repairs done like fuel and air filter and an aftermarket exhaust along with brake kits for front and rear, if you want a great car with good mpg then this is the way to go.

comfort and drivability

a little more power stock but with few up grades you will make people stare

Almost perfect
By DIC_CAMARILLO

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 540i for about 6 years now. What a blast to drive - I actually prefer driving my 540i over my 911. The power is great, suspension very precise and brakes rock solid. The interior is awesome (great leather). This is my favorite 5 series body style. My 540i looks fast standing still. Gas mileage is about 18-19 combined. The problems cause me to selectively drive my 540i. The transmission is acting up again. I had the valve body rebuilt and everything was good. Then the transmission light came on and it goes in limp home mode. The radiator, fan, fan clutch, water pump have been replaced. Ditto for numerous seals and gaskets. Power steering fluid res. cracked.

Power band is wonderful. Rock solid feel at speed. Great steering feedback. Brakes are so strong. Performance far exceeds my expectations. Body is masculine, but it doesn't scream at you. Interior is great - lots of very nice, high quality materials were used. Corners very flat for a big car.

Transmission stinks! Too many maintenance issues. Leaks all over the place. Suspension maybe a little stiff for daily driving. Did I mention the horrible transmission problems!

Built like a Tank
By Ty7

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car 5 months ago from its 2nd owner. I actually only paid 1500 for this car and it definitely had it's share of wear. When I bought it, it had 204,000 miles and now has 211,000. I commute 42 miles a day for work and this car runs like a champ! Some people may say "Wow, that's a lot of miles on it" but my 1984 318 had 330,000 and was still running when I sold it. Of course I had to replace a few things like tires, wiper blades, etc. Just basic maintenance things. This model is an excellent vehicle. Nothing drives like a BMW. So far, no problems whatsoever. It had some miles when I bought it, but I think I got a heck of a deal.

Handling, comfort, pretty good gas mileage.

Cup holders?? These cars were 35000 new and no cup holders