1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
540i reliability
By john717 on 01/09/14 03:12 AM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have owned this one for 8 years. Brought it because it had already had the transmission rebuilt and new radiator at 281ks. I have since done a PCV valve, fuel pump, water pump, 1 x shock , a set of brake pads. and 2 x batteries. Done the work myself, found pretty good to work on. Has now clocked 375ks and has to be the best car Ive ever owned. Never had any door handles or window poblems, a very solid and reliable car. Motor runs sweet as with no lifter noises or rattles, and no oil leaks. Transmission faultless. Plus its a great car to drive, very comfortable and fun.

Great Used Car
By bimmerdev on 10/04/12 18:18 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car recently for $1400 with 184,00 miles on it. I was looking for something with decent gas mileage under $2k. I researched theses older BMW's. The engine reliability and overall quality were praised heavily. I have not been dissapointed! I look forward to driving it every day. I can see why BMW has earned a great reputation over the years. Styling is still appealing on the car and it has been extremely reliable with only normal wear items needing replacing. Fun to drive. My goal was to get a year max out of it. After 4 months, I am now thinking of seriously keeping it for as long as possible. It has been worth every penny and averages 27 mpg at 50/50 hwy vs city.

Peace of mind
By piece of mind on 06/02/10 15:29 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I love my 5 series its the best car I've had in years. Comfort and drive ability are awesome, I just lowered it for better handling because man I love cruising it, only minor repairs done like fuel and air filter and an aftermarket exhaust along with brake kits for front and rear, if you want a great car with good mpg then this is the way to go.

Almost perfect
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 01/20/10 22:07 PM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 540i for about 6 years now. What a blast to drive - I actually prefer driving my 540i over my 911. The power is great, suspension very precise and brakes rock solid. The interior is awesome (great leather). This is my favorite 5 series body style. My 540i looks fast standing still. Gas mileage is about 18-19 combined. The problems cause me to selectively drive my 540i. The transmission is acting up again. I had the valve body rebuilt and everything was good. Then the transmission light came on and it goes in limp home mode. The radiator, fan, fan clutch, water pump have been replaced. Ditto for numerous seals and gaskets. Power steering fluid res. cracked.

Built like a Tank
By Ty7 on 01/10/10 12:04 PM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car 5 months ago from its 2nd owner. I actually only paid 1500 for this car and it definitely had it's share of wear. When I bought it, it had 204,000 miles and now has 211,000. I commute 42 miles a day for work and this car runs like a champ! Some people may say "Wow, that's a lot of miles on it" but my 1984 318 had 330,000 and was still running when I sold it. Of course I had to replace a few things like tires, wiper blades, etc. Just basic maintenance things. This model is an excellent vehicle. Nothing drives like a BMW. So far, no problems whatsoever. It had some miles when I bought it, but I think I got a heck of a deal.

The Ultimate Pre-owned Driving Machine
By Whipp on 06/08/09 15:33 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

WOW, WOW, WOW.... What a great vehicle and a workhorse. I feel lucky to have the purchase. Fun to drive and is fast, handles well. Do your due diligence and you will be rewarded. Wanted a second vehicle (mini-van is primary) to bounce the wife and I around town for errands. This fits the bill. Not cheap to own... but preventive maintenance goes a long way. Use a real BMW mechanic and go on-line to the BMW forums and you will really enjoy the car.

Mixed feelings
By tnnative on 03/01/09 21:59 PM (PST)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan

After 2 plus years of ownership this has been a car I still love to drive. However, the cooling system has been a series of expensive repairs... Radiator, oil radiator, thermostat, water pump, head gasket, hoses. Otherwise a reliable car other than normal issues they all seem to have (upper door trim comes loose, easily diy fixed). I've researched these tremendously, and the 3.0 liter v-8 seems to need many parts replaced between 100-130k miles. My BMW mechanic informed me of this, however, so there were no surprises. A great highway car, very quiet up to 80 mph. Good a/c (replace the filters, makes a huge difference if they haven't been maintained).

Great road car
By Nice Drive on 06/20/08 21:59 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

BMW does a great job with their suspension. Road feel is superb. Goes around corners fast and flat. Classic styling still looks great. Has all the nice features you expect in a car of this class. The 4.0 V-8 has a lot of power, but can cruise on city streets at 35 mph or on the freeway at 65 mph (if you can restrain yourself). When I drive my 540i, I feel like I'm treating myself to a nice car. The V-8 does drink premium, so be careful with your right foot. Also, make sure you have plenty of $$ for all the maintenance and repairs these cars need. I feel it's worth the extra money to be able to drive such a fine sport sedan.

Great old car
By Nick on 03/26/08 15:52 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with over 200k on it, and have driven it almost 20k since. A few minor problems, nothing major but the car is 14 years old. Car is powerful, A/C is ice cold, and the trip computer is accurate. Lots of technology in this car.

525i a great reliable car
By RickP on 10/11/07 17:53 PM (PDT)

1994 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan

People said BMWs were expensive to maintain, but not this one. So far, only routine oil changes, shocks & other normal wear items, and an extremely reliable, low cost, and fun to drive car. Gets about 30 MPG on highway, 23 around town. Everything works on the car.