Used 1993 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Old school fun
By ucancallmenick

1993 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased in 2010 as my first car. I have loved it since the day we bought it with 149,000 miles, it's been reliable, comfortable, and it has superb handling. Now that it has 184,000 miles it still drives like a champ. It did have a few missteps, but you don't buy a $1,800 BMW and expect it to be perfect. First the passenger side window motors went out in 2010, then the alternator in 2012, and the cooling system finally in 2014. Still, it never really let me down, it has gone through three accidents relatively unscathed too. Awesome german engineering.

Heated/Power/Leather seats, sunroof and it's vent feature, the auto up/down feature for both front windows, the information display, easy to work on, the way the hood opens is pretty remarkable, large fuel tank (21 gallons).

The gas mileage (Average 17.8 MPG), no anti-theft alarm, non foldable rear seats, how easily the armrests wear out, window issue is too common, headroom not horrible (could be better).

Love My 5-series Touring
By Maggio Slooter

1993 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

This car was super-clean at the time of purchase, and had close to 80,000 miles on her. I was a bit apprehensive about purchasing a vehicle with that many miles, but this car has been the most reliable we have ever owned, and now has over 180,000 miles. I replaced the 15" wheels with M-series 17" of that era, replaced the springs with M springs, and added a performance chip. I never tire of driving her and continue to admire the styling, which to my eye, is timeless. For a car which is now 18 years old, it very much holds its own in looks and performance. It's also damn practical. I've hauled all kinds of heavy stuff, and the self-leveling system works brilliantly. I give BMW an A+

Handling, fun to drive, great gas mileage on the highway, practicality, looks. My dog loves the huge dual sunroof(s). And, you don't see these cars every day, which adds a bit of "exclusivity". :) Parts are surprisingly reasonable. I never thought I'd love a station wagon, but this one's a keeper.

!5" factory wheels are homely. Rear wiring harnesses in the hatch door have been repaired and replaced a couple of times. This is an obviously weak point in what's otherwise a very well-designed vehicle. Someday I may put an M motor in this car!

Aged very well
By Alex

1993 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

I enjoyed driving this car especially on the open road where it excelled. I had a few unexpected problems with the injector system. Also the rear hatch and window gave me some trouble. I only wish the driver's seat would move back 2 more inches!! I am only 6'0" tall, but I would get uncomfortable on longer trips and my wife, same height, actually disliked the seats even more. The switch for the heated seats is badly located. When you fold down the rear seats you can carry a ton of stuff! Even at over 100k miles it was a purring cat. The extra long double sun roof was awesome. Gas mileage was a problem with high prices, but the power and stable ride are the trade off. No cup holders, though!

Excellent road feel and handling. Very safe feeling car with great utility as a wagon.

Needs more leg room in front.

Investing in the past pays in the Future
By Stacy

1993 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 1993 BMW 525i when it had over 121,000 miles on it. I did not blink when this great automobile came my way. I paid under market value for the car and it was in excellent condition. I have not had any problems with this thirteen year old beauty. It drives smooth and incredibly quiet. The style is a little dated, but the interior features are not. This old car is still quite a luxury. Anyone thinking about owning an older BMW should not think too hard, because my car is proof that reliable engineering will last over 200,000 miles. This 13 year old BMW is the first one that I have owned and I now claim to be an exclusive BMW owner.

Power sunroof, power driver and passenger seats, excellent factory sound system, dual climate control, and the interior lighting.

More than a grocery getter
By Midamrail

1993 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

I bought this car with 109K from a BMW dealership for commuting to work and hauling our Labradors. It has proven to be reliable, enjoyable to drive, relatively economical, and one of the best vehicles we've ever owned.

Combination of power and economy; has been very reliable so far; combines spirited handling and comfort in a way only BMW can; love the fold down rear seats with lift-up divider net for dogs. Very well designed inside and out.

Radio reception is terrible (upgraded to XM out of necessity); winter handling awful without snow tires, but that's to be expected.