1992 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Best of all!
By Luke B. on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This is my first BMW and I am hooked! I have owned Saabs, Sterlings and a Range Rover, but after driving and owning this car I can confidently say that I will have it for a long long time and my next car will be another BMW. I have owned the car for the last 16,000 and have had no serious issues, only a few minor problems like replacing sensors and some difficulty with the seat motors. My most expensive bill so far has been the 90,000 mile service, but other than that, all is quite well!

1992 525 BMW
By kuda on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

Overall this is an excellent car! I would highly recommend picking one up especially if you can find a low mileage vehicle.

Best car I've ever owned
By Alison Woods on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

I bought this car as a dealer demo with about 3,000 miles on it. I've had it for 11 years and it is still a great car. The only major repair I've had to do on this car was to replace the onboard computer, but I replace my desktop computers about every 3 years! I also had to replace the fuel pump which seems to have been a problem with this particular model. The last major service cost $400.00. I may keep it another 5 years!

Smooth as silk, though expensive to keep
By Cruiser-Joel on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

Got this car in 1997 from a guy who babied it. Had 68k miles and was perfect and maintained on schedule. This car rides so nice, I hate to part with it. I have 138K miles on it and it still drives like new. Down side is it is so fricking expensive to maintain. I only have it serviced by BMW. However, it will do 200K easily and I intend to keep it for at least another 2 years. Some rust on the doors but nothing serious. I have spent at least $10,000 on repairs over 5 years. But, it was worth it.

Loved this car
By eeeeerik on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Got this car 2 years old out coming out of college, fella before me put 76K miles on it in the first two years so I got a great deal. In the next 2 years I put another 60K miles on it, never a hiccup. Gave it to my wife when we got married. Now with 2 kids and over 200K miles, the maintenance cycle has picked up beyond what I'm willing to commit (which is quite a bit). The engine/tranny is still solid. It's the belts, water pump, alternator, battery, leather seats are starting to rip, you get the point. Hate to call it quits but the time has come.

1992 525i
By dmoss on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car! The car is built like a tank, and it is still solid at 11 years old.

Keep the dealer on speed dial.
By JosephJ on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

The car handles curves and cruising on the highway like no other car I have ever owned, but on acceleration the car lacks any real power. It is the slowest BMW I have ever driven. You might be 0 to 60 in half a minute. The car eats cash. Minor repairs are still in the hundreds of dollars. The smallest of plastic parts are expensive and when you include labor at ANY BMW dealer, you can count on even a dashboard light replacement costing you about $200. I have owned this car for 2 years and have spent nearly $4000 in repairs and upkeep. In addition, I have had three dead stops and had to be towed to the dealer.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Joey Bag on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

She is a 1992 535i 5 speed. I have owner her since 1999 and havent had any major problems at all. She now has 215,000 miles on her and runs really strong. I changed the clutch and throw- out bearing at 180,000 miles. That cost $800. I did the front-end and replaced all the gastket including the head gasket at 200,000. was around $2000.00. She rides like a brand new car, people are always asking me what year it is and when i say 92 they are like wow, and everyong always compliment the smooth ride. She has great power and with the 5 speed its alot of fun, I added 17 inch wheels and now she handle awesome.

RW 92 525i
By Richard Wamboldt on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Caris basically excelent,however, numerous mechanical problems have been encountered: 3 burnt exhaust valves between 96000 and 123000 miles, A/C compressor failure at 82000, water pump total failure at 90000, fuel pump failure at 97000. The clutch, which I drove for 104000 required replacement recently and then, only the throwout bearing actually required replacement. The car is in excelent condition, no body damage and the leather interior is clean and undamaged. All functions are working.

one excellent car
By ted phillips on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Our '92 525I 5 speed is the best all around sedan I have ever owned. With a 5-speed the performance is quite good and the gas mileage is 26mpg at 75-80 on the highway and about 21-22 used locally. The body and paint look new and the interior leather is still quite good. There has been only one significant repair to replace engine oil seals, otherwise the car has been absolutely trouble free for 108000 miles (still original perfect clutch).