Used 1992 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I just didn't know...
By Tony Holland

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 92 525i for 2900 cash. It had 204,000 on the odometer. 4 years later it is still a daily driver. A red 5 speed with all the options. I have replaced about everything under the hood from the a/c compressor to the alternator. Water pump, fuel pump and a new radiator. This sounds like a lot, but the absence of a car payment made it worth the money. The car is a joy to drive. The 5-speed makes up for the lack of power. The car is very at home at interstate speeds and will cruise "Way" over the speed limit for as long as the fuel lasts. This has been a great used car that is a blast to drive. Now I know..."BMW The Ultimate Driving Machine".

My BMW 525i
By Trevor Cooper

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

My father got me a 1992 BMW 525i after I got out of high school; that car was the best - it had a cellular phone and anti-theft system, heated front seats leather seats, 10 way power adjuster and the best trip computer ever. That car can be a pain in your wallet. When my headlight went out in 1994 I paid 129.42 for a new bulb.The car lacks in power; it actually takes you about 8.5 seconds to get to 60 but has the best sound when you accelerate. I still have that car today, the car drives basically the same from 17 years ago.The car has the same features from 17 years ago that includes the cellular phone anti-theft system, the leather has no cracks, 6 disc cd changer -- still I can't believe the phone works.

cellular phone still has connection, heated seats, stereo system,10 way power seats, anti-theft system, 6 disc cd changer, acceleration, the interior, exterior.

Cup holders, trunk release in car.

Better than expected...
By dkisme2

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This it the first BMW I've ever owned, and I will happily buy one again. I've had to do very minor repairs with it since I got it almost a year ago. It came with just over 360,000 miles (yes that's correct, not a typo). And currently it's got over 372,000 miles on it. I've had to repair the oil seal and that's been about it. I'm going to be buying tires for it soon, otherwise it's in great shape (interior is nearly flawless). There's minor rust along the bottoms of the doors, but what do you expect for any car that's driven in Wisconsin? Overall, I couldn't be happier, and I definitely plan on running it till over 450,000, hopefully 500,000 miles.

Interior is comfortable, quite on the highway, cruises nicely. Handles great, acceleration is decent. Get's about 30 mpg on highway (5-speed manual), comfortable even for 4 adults. Paint stays shiny after 17 years.

I agree with everyone else, no Cupholders?? Kind of a pain. Otherwise, extremely happy!

A Bad Year
By Joe

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Amid the favorable reviews I must interject some objective facts. We purchased our 525IA on a lease turn-in and spent $9,000 repairing and maintaining it over the course of 3.7 years. Reliability was awful, having stranded my family four times. Once each for fuel pump, A/C compressor seizure, self-destructing water pump, and seized belt idler pulley. When asking BMW of North America, they apologized for my model year being one of the "Dark Ages" vehicles where they outsourced the offending parts and/or labor. When the question of service came up, they sent me a standard form letter. Stay away.

Gorgeous design and interior for the period.

Upholstery poor due to use of "green" eco-friendly adhesives. Leather only good for 3 to 4 years before cracking even with Lexol and Pecard's treatment regularly. Paint gone even after regular Xymol regiment.

Cool Ride
By Duane Barrett

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car with 168,584 miles for $3000.00. This is my first BMW and aside from the interior cosmetic problems, the body is still in excellent condition and the car runs GREAT!!! Looking forward to owning and driving the Bad Man Wagon!!!

Ease of handling, smooth ride and butter leather seats.

Tight fit around the leg area if you happen to be on the larger side.