1992 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
I just didn't know...
By Tony Holland on 07/18/09 21:31 PM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 92 525i for 2900 cash. It had 204,000 on the odometer. 4 years later it is still a daily driver. A red 5 speed with all the options. I have replaced about everything under the hood from the a/c compressor to the alternator. Water pump, fuel pump and a new radiator. This sounds like a lot, but the absence of a car payment made it worth the money. The car is a joy to drive. The 5-speed makes up for the lack of power. The car is very at home at interstate speeds and will cruise "Way" over the speed limit for as long as the fuel lasts. This has been a great used car that is a blast to drive. Now I know..."BMW The Ultimate Driving Machine".

My BMW 525i
By Trevor Cooper on 06/26/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

My father got me a 1992 BMW 525i after I got out of high school; that car was the best - it had a cellular phone and anti-theft system, heated front seats leather seats, 10 way power adjuster and the best trip computer ever. That car can be a pain in your wallet. When my headlight went out in 1994 I paid 129.42 for a new bulb.The car lacks in power; it actually takes you about 8.5 seconds to get to 60 but has the best sound when you accelerate. I still have that car today, the car drives basically the same from 17 years ago.The car has the same features from 17 years ago that includes the cellular phone anti-theft system, the leather has no cracks, 6 disc cd changer -- still I can't believe the phone works.

Better than expected...
By dkisme2 on 07/29/08 10:01 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

This it the first BMW I've ever owned, and I will happily buy one again. I've had to do very minor repairs with it since I got it almost a year ago. It came with just over 360,000 miles (yes that's correct, not a typo). And currently it's got over 372,000 miles on it. I've had to repair the oil seal and that's been about it. I'm going to be buying tires for it soon, otherwise it's in great shape (interior is nearly flawless). There's minor rust along the bottoms of the doors, but what do you expect for any car that's driven in Wisconsin? Overall, I couldn't be happier, and I definitely plan on running it till over 450,000, hopefully 500,000 miles.

Best Car of My Life
By Mike on 02/06/08 19:07 PM (PST)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

This car has been all over the country, and has never let me down. I have put an insignificant amount of money into it for repairs, and it now has 240,000 miles on it and still going strong. I am planning another cross-country trip with this car in a few months!

A Bad Year
By Joe on 11/01/06 09:53 AM (PST)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Amid the favorable reviews I must interject some objective facts. We purchased our 525IA on a lease turn-in and spent $9,000 repairing and maintaining it over the course of 3.7 years. Reliability was awful, having stranded my family four times. Once each for fuel pump, A/C compressor seizure, self-destructing water pump, and seized belt idler pulley. When asking BMW of North America, they apologized for my model year being one of the "Dark Ages" vehicles where they outsourced the offending parts and/or labor. When the question of service came up, they sent me a standard form letter. Stay away.

Cool Ride
By Duane Barrett on 06/29/06 17:34 PM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car with 168,584 miles for $3000.00. This is my first BMW and aside from the interior cosmetic problems, the body is still in excellent condition and the car runs GREAT!!! Looking forward to owning and driving the Bad Man Wagon!!!

Luv my Bimmer
By Kenny on 10/07/05 13:23 PM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan

This auto has been a joy to own and drive. I am fortunate in that I can do most of my own routine repairs, of which there have been few. Good Luck.

awesome
By Casey Pickell on 09/15/05 11:16 AM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

this BMW is a solid ride. i bought it with 114000 miles for 4000 dollars. it was the steal of the century. the engine is smooth as butter with effortless acceleration in the top end(it could use some more low end power) it gets great fuel economy for a 6cyl, 20 city 28-30 at 65 mph on highway. the seats are incredible and hold their age magnificently. the trunk is huge and the same for the sunroof.the computer is nifty as well, i didnt think they had that stuff in 1992. i have had no problems at all with the car in 6000 miles of driving.

Now I understand ...
By sotampa on 09/08/05 20:49 PM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Wagon

This car is not a speedster. Gearing is for practicality (wagon and 'touring' version). This is a road car. A dream on the highway. Solid cornering. It is a GREAT car. I'm up over 212,000 miles on this car and it is still GREAT! Sample problems have been: Door latch had to be replaced. Brake light module failed. Fuel pump replaced. Got to fo the a BMW pro on this car. Parts are always from the dealer. You can feel nickel and dimed (dollar and fived?). I have had several excellent up-end Japanese cars. The power is with the Japanese but the car itself along with the driveability goes to the BMW. I NEVER expected to get hooked. I am.

Excellent choice !
By Serega on 05/22/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

1992 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Straight to the point: 1) Reliable car. Bought the car with 138K miles on it - not a single complaint during the first year. 2) The performance is awesome, just shift AT into S mode and you can outrun most of the cars. Handles corners like it's glued to the ground. Definitely a fun to drive. 3) The only competitors at this price lack style and/or performance. 4) Comfort is superb: climate control, noice isolation, power everything. The list is unlimited. 5) Fuel economy: I get 20 mpg in mixed conditions with agressive driving. 6) Interior design: everything is where it's supposed to be. 7) Exterior still turns heads. 8) Overall:has 50K$ car feel:)